FiveTen sole replacement?

jredone

Just went off on adidas customer service about how they offer environmentally friendly “prime blue” free riders but do not offer an option to recycle/repair the shoes or sell sole replacements.

Anyway, one of my favorite winter shoes are the original freerider eps mids before adidas took over. Actual quality in the leather and shoe construction but obviously the stealth rubber is just about non existent at this point.

Anyone ever get theirs re-soled or know of a shoe repair shop that will attempt something like this? Maybe a place that specializes in climbing shoe repair? Figured I’d come on here first before calling 90 shoe shops that have never heard of Fiveten.

I know I can probably find a sale where I’d pay less for a new pair than the cost of getting these repaired. I just refuse to keep adding more shoes to the landfill every six months.

I had a pair of 5.10s from before Addidas bought them out - and the sole separated. Back then, 5.10 replaced the pair of shoes for me. Sorry to hear that Addidas won't do that for you.

I had a pair of 5.10s from before Addidas bought them out - and the sole separated. Back then, 5.10 replaced the pair of shoes for me. Sorry to hear that Addidas won't do that for you.
Adidas is still good with replacing shoes, I’ll give them that. I just hate the idea of tossing the old ones every time the sole wears out which is pretty often for me.

Bet a local shoe repair shop, the kind with the 70 year old little man in the window, will put a new sole back on that shoe.

Bet a local shoe repair shop, the kind with the 70 year old little man in the window, will put a new sole back on that shoe.
There’s that exact shop by me in Berkeley Heights. 70 year old little Italian dude barely speaks English, cool as hell. Last resort I’d try him but I almost feel bad showing up with of box of stank old Fivetens

i've had other shoe repair stuff done at Rago Brothers in Morristown (near Marty's)... they say they offer sneaker sole repairs but bike shoes are a little more specific.. might be worth a quick call/email

And that's why Adidas doesn't want them.. that and the fact they can replace the shoe for $1.50
ughh they make it impossible to save the damn sea turtles…but hey, their prime blue comes from the ocean and goes right back to the ocean. Kudos Adidas, nice try.

There’s that exact shop by me in Berkeley Heights. 70 year old little Italian dude barely speaks English, cool as hell. Last resort I’d try him but I almost feel bad showing up with of box of stank old Fivetens
I have a funny feeling that a 70 year old cobbler has held a stinky shoe before yours. But I agree with @stb222 that I don’t think they’ll be the same.

I've done several quick half-ass attempts at re-gluing my pre-Adidas 5-10 soles back on over the years. Mine are used primarily for mountain unicycling, which is apparently very hard on soles. The uppers still have a lot of life left in them. I'm going to attempt a more thorough fix this winter.

I appreciate trying to keep these but if you replace it with a regular sole, it aint going to five ten like a five ten anymore.
It’s worth a shot, no flat pedal shoes I’ve found Fiveten like Fivetens but they work.

I’ll keep the thread updated for anyone interested in doing the same.

The old 5.10’s were unbelievable - they were my favorite flat pedal shoes during my DH days. The soles were tough - I tried some longer hike a bikes with them and my feet were killing me, as they were meant for riding and taking some big hits on the DH bike - therefore the soles were stiff and did not move like a walking/hiking shoe. I still have the pair I wore for a week a Whistler in 2014 somewhere around my house. I would note they were tacky as well so they could stick the the pedal - I literally Would have to pick my foot off of my Chromag Scarab Pedals and reposition them as they would not move.

The newer Adidas offerings were not as extreme.

That being said, I do not think the typical cobbler would have what you are looking for.

24423A88-4E97-4720-B12A-853740FCB235.jpeg

Last edited:
I appreciate trying to keep these but if you replace it with a regular sole, it aint going to five ten like a five ten anymore.
This & this…I would still be interested in this old Italian guy’s coordinates for my regular shoes if you don’t mind sharing.

This & this…I would still be interested in this old Italian guy’s coordinates for my regular shoes if you don’t mind sharing.

The place is called The Taylor’s wife. Unfortunately I reached out and they no longer do shoe repair. Could have sworn they did but either way I’ve had zippers added to some work sweatshirts and the man does great work. Highly recommend

Also reached out to Rago brothers that @MissJR recommended and was quoted $365 lol. Seems that’ll be the going rate for a shop not specializing in such repairs.

Will be sending a test pair of low top EPS models to https://www.rmresole.com/
3 month turn around, $65 with return shipping and pretty solid reviews on rubber comparison. I know I know they won’t Fiveten like the rest of em, but no current shoes really do and I no longer ride adidas fivetens anyway.

I can see about a larger order if anyone else is curious and wants to throw their beloved pair of stanky old FTs or other shoes in the mix.

**Thank you @ebarker9 for finding that over on the mtbr forum

The place is called The Taylor’s wife. Unfortunately I reached out and they no longer do shoe repair. Could have sworn they did but either way I’ve had zippers added to some work sweatshirts and the man does great work. Highly recommend

Also reached out to Rago brothers that @MissJR recommended and was quoted $365 lol. Seems that’ll be the going rate for a shop not specializing in such repairs.

Will be sending a test pair of low top EPS models to https://www.rmresole.com/
3 month turn around, $65 with return shipping and pretty solid reviews on rubber comparison. I know I know they won’t Fiveten like the rest of em, but no current shoes really do and I no longer ride adidas fivetens anyway.

I can see about a larger order if anyone else is curious and wants to throw their beloved pair of stanky old FTs or other shoes in the mix.

**Thank you @ebarker9 for finding that over on the mtbr forum

whoa! sorry... had no idea they'd charge that much!

Back
Top Bottom