First Time Ramapo Advice

margo2280

Hi all,

New to forum, and relatively new to MTB. I am thinking about checking out Ramapo, specifically starting at the top of Skyline taking the Yellow down to the lake, taking Blue up to Orange along the ridge back down to the lake and back up the fire road to the lot. My MTB experience is so far more beginner friendly spots such as Lewis Morris and Six Mile...is this too ambitious, especially to do solo? Any words of wisdom or suggestions would be appreciated!

yes, it might be too ambitious, considering you have never been exposed to rocks. That being said, I am also of the mentality of "throwing the noobs right in to the fire", which is the best way to learn!

I would suggest skipping the orange for now. It is kind of a hike and way out there. (Since you are not familiar with the park)

I suggest you go red/white to cannonball then down n around the lake and up yellow back to lot. see how tired you feel after that.

next for your 2nd trip, i would do same loop, but after cannonball, climb the fireroad to the castle ruins then the water tower then white to pipeline, then straight across unmarked then left on blue to pipeline then right to pipeline and quick left to blue then around the lake to yellow back to lot.

3rd trip i would do the loop you suggested.

exploring is fun!:getsome:

Comparo

I've seen riders here on my commute to work but wasn't sure how much riding there was. Looks like I'll have to pack my bike on my way to work one of these days. How does the riding compare with say Ringwood or Jungle? Any gps files floating around?
Thanks...

I've seen riders here on my commute to work but wasn't sure how much riding there was. Looks like I'll have to pack my bike on my way to work one of these days. How does the riding compare with say Ringwood or Jungle? Any gps files floating around?
Thanks...

I would say Ringwood and Jungle have better groomed/constructed trails and Ramapo is a lot more natural and raw. Check out my site for GPS Tracks

Thanks El Z and others for responses...think I will start with the Yellow for my first time before throwing myself into the fire of Cannonball. I have done some hiking in this park, so I am familiar with the rocky and raw terrain. Looking forward to checking it out, thanks again!

nothing wrong with being over your head it usually makes for a great and unforgettable adventure. Welcome Margo if that is your name :)

If you need a guide , lemme know ! I used to ride here very often and know the trails VERY well .. I would suggest you skip orange , its not beginner friendly at all lol and there are like 2 spots you literally have to hike your bike up. The trails are very raw ...

You could take cannonball down to the lake , fire road up, and yellow back down to lake and fire road back up. Or you could just ride cannonball trail all the way down to the soccerfields and shuttle back up or ride back up if you have the legs and strength .

Im recovering from a bad injury so if you dont mine a slow pace im down.

So I had a little time to kill after work on Friday, so I figured I'd give it a shot...rode (if you call what I did riding) down yellow, around the lake, and up the fire road. Yellow was definitely more challenging than I thought it would be, more than a few times off my bike walking. I really don't get how people ride UP this trail! Looking forward to trying it again, now that I have a better idea of what to expect. @aedubber, maybe I'll hit you up next time I'm around, I think your slow pace will match mine just fine (assuming I don't slow YOU down!). Out of curiosity, how does Yellow compare to Cannonball going down to the lake?

So I had a little time to kill after work on Friday, so I figured I'd give it a shot...rode (if you call what I did riding) down yellow, around the lake, and up the fire road. Yellow was definitely more challenging than I thought it would be, more than a few times off my bike walking. I really don't get how people ride UP this trail! Looking forward to trying it again, now that I have a better idea of what to expect. @aedubber, maybe I'll hit you up next time I'm around, I think your slow pace will match mine just fine (assuming I don't slow YOU down!). Out of curiosity, how does Yellow compare to Cannonball going down to the lake?

If you had a tough time going down yellow you will have a hard time on CB. Take a look at the video. http://www.mtbnj.com/wiki/Ramapo_Mountain_State_Forest

But don't get discouraged it takes time to build fitness and handling skills ...keep at it.

Yea CB is a bit tricky but you just need to keep a nice flow to it .. I dont think you would slow me down lol , trust me im a bit tight after my fractures on my right shoulder and separated AC .. Just gimmie a heads up and we can take a run down CB if you want .

Thanks guys...Manny, I have watched that video (and others, was my motivation to check out 6 Mile and LewMo...great stuff!). Guess I will just keep trying and hopefully progress without hurting myself in the process!

Back
Top Bottom