First fully accessible bike trail at Jungle

I have no way to even back-of-the-napkin estimate how many people ride MTBs in this state. Not able to find even a thread of data to back anything.

Anyway yeah 99% may be high.

I am frankly amazed that a state-wide cycling advocacy group has no clue about the scope and behaviors of their constituents. Why not partner with Rutgers to find out? This guy (Robert B.
Nolan, PhD, professor of Planning and Public Policy) has published many papers on bicycling in general and in NJ specifically:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233036062_A_Statewide_Analysis_of_Bicycling_in_New_Jersey

I am frankly amazed that a state-wide cycling advocacy group has no clue about the scope and behaviors of their constituents. Why not partner with Rutgers to find out? This guy (Robert B.
Nolan, PhD, professor of Planning and Public Policy) has published many papers on bicycling in general and in NJ specifically:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233036062_A_Statewide_Analysis_of_Bicycling_in_New_Jersey
Requested the paper.

I wish that trail counters didn't run $700 or better. As VMBA was forming, we wanted them a lot.

So, is it just human nature? People needs bribing to do the sensible thing?
Not everybody, but it helps. I definitely incentivize (bribe), my kids to do certain things, why would adults be any different. Truth be told, I joined JORBA for the socks!

...we are expecting a 100% volunteer based organization to put in full time work from multiple (tired and already overworked) folks to develop more membership. This is unrealistic at best, foolish at worst.
Say over the past 10 years, I've seen this is every activity/sport/organization I have participated in. People just don't get involved any more, and those that do, are the same individuals.

Don't know for sure but those studies likely largely under represent mountain bike users. I work with bike/ped planners in my office and they are clueless regarding anything off road. This is potentially because they focus on road-use cyclists and MUT's however working with the Planners for the Baldpate Quarry repurposing, they seemed generally uniformed.

Don't know for sure but those studies likely largely under represent mountain bike users. I work with bike/ped planners in my office and they are clueless regarding anything off road. This is potentially because they focus on road-use cyclists and MUT's however working with the Planners for the Baldpate Quarry repurposing, they seemed generally uniformed.

Agreed but the point was the next survey they do, they could add some questions on off road cycling frequency, location, etc.

Not everybody, but it helps. I definitely incentivize (bribe), my kids to do certain things, why would adults be any different. Truth be told, I joined JORBA for the socks!
I joined JORBA because I rode this and thought it was really good riding:

1669068582766.png

As someone who has worked on design for number of multi-use trail projects and ADA/inclusive park improvements in my career, I am thrilled to see this trail opened up. I can't believe I didn't hear about it until the NJ.com story was posted. I mostly ride the various parts of Allamuchy/Stephens and KVSP, but really need to get out to the trails in the Hewitt area more...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions