EWS Adventure 2022

muddybike

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Had a great start to stage 2 (first stage of the day) was absolutely drilling it into the rock line- can’t believe I didn’t flat, super fast into the loamy steep switchbacks. Swooped through a few smoothly and was feeling real good about things until my front wheel washed on… a root maybe, don’t know but all the sudden my face was grinding to the loam- it was a really hard hit. Broke the visor off my helmet, had dirt up under my goggles, bar was askew. I was pretty shook up. Had to straighten out the bar before getting going again.the rest of that stage was an absolute mess. My hands and arms were so tense I totally blew out my forarms into complete locked up cramps by the end. Could barely peel my eyes off my front wheel- I mean- felt like newb city- super frustrating. In Hindsight, prob would have been better to remind myself of how long the day was and attack in a more measured manner than - I was so jazzed from my result yesterday I totally went overboard. Could have also dialed it in when I noted how f-Ing hard I took the rock line - I knew that wasn’t in control.

I headed to stage 3, which was long and super physical for the bottom half- but the top was a fun bike park like section and I thought I could get so flow back there and hope it carried through.

Top was great, not fast but was fun and my arms were ok. Into the physical stuff though thing fell apart pretty quickly. My front brake index finger stopped responding at all at one point and I back break slid into the tape and got tangled. Hit the deck a few times. Luckily the dirt was nice soft loam so no significant injuries. My mind got pretty dark and I almost quit at the end of that stage.

Some of the other women convinced me to give stage 4 a try before calling it a day- it was a shorter and the least physical stage of the day. It was a long pedal up though and I didn’t have much time to recover before it was launch time.

I didn’t ride at race pace but I did ride this stage clean and that really helped my confidence, but arms were still screaming at me.

Stage 5 - the longest w a lot of everything mixed in. A miserable climb & hike a bike to the top of the stage but not super long- My arms are wrecked and my times suck and I know this so I focused on just getting down safely. The views from the top were incredible- see photos below- and it was cool to ride the ridge line again- it’s a pretty epic stage start.

I had to slow pedal all the traversing sections so I could stretch out my forarms, so the women behind me caught me as I went along- which is always a tough pill to swallow- but i did make it to the bottom in one piece- and I’m really glad I didn’t quit halfway through the race.

Had a delicious post race beer w the my fellow racers. my family was there at the finish as well- so it was a nice end to a brutal day.

Now that im back at the hotel and showered all the aches and pains are making themselves known- I feel like a was in a fist fight- lol.

We got to take a few gondolas today so total climbing distance was in the neighborhood of 3k feet. So that wasn’t as insane as tweed valley- although the transfer to 4 was 1,300 of it- which started to hurt right around the 1k mark. Good training though- I’ll chalk it up to a good day of training— just going to keep at it and try to piece more and more of the things that work together. Next up is Burke and sugarloaf back in the old US of A.

I’m spending the next 2 weeks travelling around northern Italy w the fam, then I’ll Be home for a week and off again to the nica sleep away camp at KT to coach and ride w some not-too-little rascals. Hoping to sneak in some riding at burke while I’m up there- we’ll see if that’s manageable or not.

Thanks for following along. I really appreciate your words of encouragement. I’ll hit this thread back up when the EWS at Burke rolls around! TTFN
6F50A515-9C84-435E-8B61-59B20BF215DA.jpeg
B530FB4E-6909-4203-8185-60B6F2268E0C.jpeg
B73404D4-5143-411B-9FDA-8DC88E8F9201.jpeg
43B87815-74A1-4468-91E0-01D4D2741580.jpeg
5B3899CE-5C17-4B08-933F-62F858B3BE04.jpeg

qclabrat

Epic isn't the right words to use here. Great write up, great pics, and above all inspiring. Have a great time with in the family

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So next up in @muddybike s epic adventures will be the Burke ews....I bringing this up since I will be joining the Queen of Rock(s) for this one...as well @Meatball Mia

While Kris will be racing the pro class, Mia and I will be doing the EWS 100...which is the same course, but we do 5 stages in 1 day and not 5 stages 1 day and a 6th the day before.

1659974533123.png

21 miles, 6665 ft of climbing for the race....and im guessing with pre riding it means ill be doing that on back to back days.....

giphy.gif

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So the plan is today... Loosely... We have to sign in after 3pm. Can't pre ride but you can walk the course. Kris is probably going to do that, I think I'm going to do a few laps of moose alley... Or maybe nothing and save my energy for the pre ride tomorrow.... Which will be as stupid as the race, just not timed 😂

Vermont is so amazing in the summer
20220810_200925.jpg

muddybike

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Got into the farm house air b n b on Wednesday afternoon. Thanks to @Meatball Mia driving part of the way I got all the work done I needed to get through so we hit KT for some riding. Luckily for me and Mia, @UtahJoe forgot to bring his shoes in the car we drive to KT so he ended up shuttling us up to Moose Alley. I was able to get a feel for how my newly serviced shock is feeling.
DBB1D754-0386-46ED-A19E-C16AA80B436D.jpeg

E04B922F-1964-4A12-BA26-336014C63FDD.jpeg

E8F4FF2B-D8AD-4F59-A678-6BFB49D5A3BF.jpeg

Farmhouse is pretty great setup. And yes, that’s a jackalope mounted over the bar.

Zaskar

So next up in @muddybike s epic adventures will be the Burke ews....I bringing this up since I will be joining the Queen of Rock(s) for this one...as well @Meatball Mia

While Kris will be racing the pro class, Mia and I will be doing the EWS 100...which is the same course, but we do 5 stages in 1 day and not 5 stages 1 day and a 6th the day before.

View attachment 193222

21 miles, 6665 ft of climbing for the race....and im guessing with pre riding it means ill be doing that on back to back days.....

giphy.gif
Is the toll road in because of the upper lift issue?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Upper lift issue? There’s no lift for bikes to the top. That only runs during ski season.

The lower lift got struck by lightning earlier this year and was still running diesel as of a few weeks ago.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So ya ews, no lifts for the races, occasionally some for the pre rides..... But in addition bc they need to make the runs long enough that Richie rude races for about 25 minutes

So we didn't ride today... But full face Pat (@Bluepony421 ) and Italian Mike showed up and the 5 of us made our way to burke for some hiking of the course (no riding allowed today)
20220811_141303.jpg
IMG_20220811_195356.jpg

IMG_20220811_195402.jpg

We hiked up the end of stage 1/6 and checked it out as we have never seen it. Then we hiked all lower J bar then back up to the top of Waynes world... 5 miles total. Even if we could use the bike park lift, all of the stages start well above it. Stage 4 has this crazy steep start in the grass with all of this zig zag zaging... Should be interesting
Kinda hard to see
20220811_144124.jpg

So here is a preview from ews of the venue

We killed a whole bunch of food at the orange rind, got the bikes ready.... Heading to bed soon

Tomorrow us 100 people will have to ride all 5 stages, going to be a long day as there are windows of time we are allowed to, so it will be an 830 to 530 day

Top Bottom