EWS Adventure 2022

Great update as always and thanks for taking us who through the experience of each race and stage. Interesting comparison you had with the U21 group. Do you think its more related to gender or age/experience?
So since I did the burke race and saw alot of the U21 100 racers...I can agree with what Kris said. Of course Kris is out there with Pros, the kids I was seeing were not.... I think alot of it is that these races are just so much exponentially harder than a Mass or ESC enduro....Like prior to burke... I can really only think of the mountain creek enduro as one where I needed my XC engine and my ability to suffer. I think in general, while the kids are insanely fast and talented, the older people are usually better equipped to deal with suffering. And thats not a knock on the young people as much is it me just learning from 15 years of racing...knowing how im feeling, and being confident that I feel like ass, but ill survive, keep pedaling. Im sure alot of the young people who are focused on their downhill speed have never experienced 13,000 ft of climbing over 2 days.....and on that second trip up the toll road I was thinking about how thankful I was for all of the idiotic adventures @JimN and @Wrong Way Dan have taken me on....and how they prepared me well for that day. Of course...this opinion on young people does not apply to @Meatball Mia....her abilty to suffer is like something out of a Stephen King novel.

My wife loves to tell me that in the ER its the men who are by far the bigger crybabies....and I can only speak anecdotally about the women who I know and ride bikes with. After riding with Mia and Kris, seeing them take some huge crashes.....I'd rather not have to get into a pain tolerance contest with either of them.

and on that second trip up the toll road I was thinking about how thankful I was for all of the idiotic adventures @JimN and @Wrong Way Dan have taken me on....and how they prepared me well for that day.

We totally did all that to prepare you for a dumb race, and not because we wanted to crush you and break your soul.

My wife loves to tell me that in the ER its the men who are by far the bigger crybabies....and I can only speak anecdotally about the women who I know and ride bikes with.

Every female mountain biker that I know is way tougher than I am, but that isn't saying much.

Great update as always and thanks for taking us who through the experience of each race and stage. Interesting comparison you had with the U21 group. Do you think its more related to gender or age/experience?
Def experience - I'd say the master's groups - both genders - have a solid perspective on racing as an experience rather than just a means to get results. Generally we each have a lot of racing experience (some more than others - in my group is a 2x olympian who has been racing mtbs seriously for over 30 years non-stop), and we have been through miserable race experiences before. Whereas the young-ones and the elites are super focused on results, and get caught up in that narrow focus. I mean, don't misconstrue me to say the masters aren't competitive - we totally, 100% are -- but it's contained to when the timer starts ticking down from 30 until we cross the finish line. plus, enduro lends itself to this vibe anyways because there's no peloton, no mass start, no pushing one another out of the way for the hole shot. It's you against yourself when you drop into a stage.You are alone on the trail trying to ride your absolute best with a rather small chance of passing or being passed.

5F565BCD-7483-4ED0-81D9-010AD04C4162.jpeg

Part 1 of Hike a bike to stage 3

AEC6CB14-0E50-4205-A59F-29744A5C8E3F.jpeg

Race day stickers on

671DFD58-678C-4765-9DB3-7E783A2B8B73.jpeg

THese open ski slope turns look so innocent.

A1F6375D-4D96-4A06-B212-4BFE1A632994.jpeg

Ran into this legend (ellen noble) at the bike wash. Went all fan-girl
3767D5B3-EF92-4454-945F-F16B9E8C52DC.jpeg

I ran around Saturday after the pro stage race cheering full face Pat on - he crushed it.
05449D20-8641-4DCB-92BC-31C5F9D5F5C7.jpeg

And evidence of my insanity - i seem to really enjoy this masochism.

On the topic of masochism and the lazy youth…. Check this kid out. Imagine bike packing 250km to your next EWS…

I heard about this kid in Italy- he’s an animal! Can’t believe he is bike packing to the race venues and also racing!! Incredible.

Even skills with phil hurt himself at that course....ouch

Phil does a good job explaining about the visibility as well- between the dense tree cover and the dark mud getting tracked onto everything, it’s super hard to see what your riding on. Especially when you first enter a wooded section from the open & bright ski slopes.

These races just sound burly as hell.

Totally bowing to the physical and mental fortitude they must require.

Def experience - I'd say the master's groups - both genders - have a solid perspective on racing as an experience rather than just a means to get results. Generally we each have a lot of racing experience (some more than others - in my group is a 2x olympian who has been racing mtbs seriously for over 30 years non-stop), and we have been through miserable race experiences before. Whereas the young-ones and the elites are super focused on results, and get caught up in that narrow focus. I mean, don't misconstrue me to say the masters aren't competitive - we totally, 100% are -- but it's contained to when the timer starts ticking down from 30 until we cross the finish line. plus, enduro lends itself to this vibe anyways because there's no peloton, no mass start, no pushing one another out of the way for the hole shot. It's you against yourself when you drop into a stage.You are alone on the trail trying to ride your absolute best with a rather small chance of passing or being passed.
After racing every single year since 1993, I haven’t raced my bike with any legitimacy since 2018, but this is a pretty good description of why I’m hoping to try some enduros, even if it’s “only” at the MASS level (where I’m still gonna get my butt kicked).

After racing every single year since 1993, I haven’t raced my bike with any legitimacy since 2018, but this is a pretty good description of why I’m hoping to try some enduros, even if it’s “only” at the MASS level (where I’m still gonna get my butt kicked).
Screenshot_20220825-185741_Chrome.jpg

I had no clue they were having these.

This has me intrigued because who wants to push bikes up a hill 😁

This may push the envelope to upgrade/add to a full fat enduro bike

View attachment 194757

I talked to a dude in Arkansas - formerly from MA, now in CA - who does eBike enduros. Dude was fast AF both up & down hill. Super nice guy. Wanted to talk shop all day if we let him.

I have nothing to add here but eBike enduros have been in CA a few years, it seems.

Plus I like turtles.

View attachment 194757

So I know the ebike classes have to race uphill as well, im just not sure the extent of it. maybe its 1 stage? im sure its in the rules somewhere

you should try the glen park one in october....its really fun. Or the steel city one... Nothing on the course is too difficult and the climbing isnt bad at all....you get all of the fun without the EWS misery factor.

I can’t wait for the secret source of electric energy that will power all the added demands due to charging devices. I’m sure it’s going to be so awesome (and imaginary)!

View attachment 194757

The EWS in Scotland had an Ebike race- it looked pretty interesting (and hard). They did have 1 stage that was an uphill stage only - i heard some of the girls who did it talking about it being about the top power to weight ratio (lightest person, basically) always winning that stage because the uphill trails weren't technical enough. Their was a lot of participants - the top level did 3 laps of the stages, so they did like 18 stages in all, which was a heck of a lot of riding, and apparently battery management is a factor. You should def try one!

Hey all, I'm trying to get some attention from USA cycling over on a facebook post I made. I found out I qualified for the Women's USA Masters team for the Trophy of Nations race in Finale, Italy (part of the Enduro World Series - it's a special race where 3 people from each country are on a team and all 3 people race each stage together). Only USA cycling doesn't support the US teams - it's entirely up to the participants to coordinate themselves and pay their way (I mean, I'd assume Yeti supports Richie, but for a self-supported rider like myself, I was pretty bummed to find out USA cycling doesn't even cover like, registration). Anyways, feel free to drop a comment on the facebook post and tag USA cycling. Perhaps if it gets some traction they'll consider supporting the USA teams in the future.

Their was a lot of participants - the top level did 3 laps of the stages, so they did like 18 stages in all, which was a heck of a lot of riding, and apparently battery management is a factor. You should def try one!
THREE laps of the stages? holy shit...I mean at Burke that would have been over 30miles of DOWNHILL runs and max speed....ouch lol.

Back
Top Bottom