Essex County

goodvibe

George Norcross is not "voted into office", just a wealthy businessman who calls the shots for the D's.
Has nothing to do with the D's or the R's. He was calling the shots when we had an R as the governor. Both parties are looking out for their own and are looking to acquire more wealth and power.

muddybike

Team MTBNJ Halter's
there is the essex offroad composite - not sure where in essex the kids are from, but i know verona high school has some.
i'm looking to get involved in this team actually, maybe do some coaching or at least volunteer in some way. if anyone knows how i can get in touch i'd welcome a pointer
Hey! I'm one of the head coaches for the Essex/Verona Offroad NICA Team - DM me for more details about coaching/participating!

muddybike

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is there a NICA team in Essex county, could that be used for a little bit of leverage to get the wheels rolling in the right direction?
Yes - Essex / Verona Offroad is a Nica team I coach - we had well over 60 students registered for this season that unfortunately was cancelled because of COVID. We have a number of coaches who would be happy to help coordinate the kids/provide press/etc to help advocate for leaglizing a trail or push for a pump track. Dm me if you want some contacts.

Morrisd

That’s where it all started for me, South Mountain and Watchung Reservation. Loved those two.
We know why SMR /Essex Co. is closed to biking. But does anyone know why Watchung is still a NO - GO?
Makes no sense....

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That’s where it all started for me, South Mountain and Watchung Reservation. Loved those two.
We know why SMR /Essex Co. is closed to biking. But does anyone know why Watchung is still a NO - GO?
Makes no sense....
Basically the same thing, politics. Union county freeholders don't care about mtbing or trails in general. Watchung Res is a disgrace. There was a push to legalize mtbing at Watchung and implement new trails but the freeholders put an end to it when local residents and political backers opposed mtbing in Watchung.

Morrisd

Recently found a new place in Edison. Quick little ride. Edna Stevens Reserve. Can ride my bike to the location. Nice when I want to get in a little ride.
In North Edison, behind Plainfield Country Club.

Andypowerful

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
People are using chainsaws to clear the trees that fell during storms and are now blocking the trails that hikers, dog walkers and mountain bikers use. This is the guy that probably started the whole enforcement recently.

so they can step up enforcement against illegal activity,
but they have no money to support legal activity.

something seems wrong with this.

serviceguy

City official across the planet have a habit of creating legislation aimed at safety mostly expecting it to produce revenues through its enforcement. Their intentions usually are clear when they start complaining about said 'safety' legislation producing less than expected revenues, even if resulting in a 'safer' environment. An egregious example was the dumb mayor of Florence in the early 2000s sprinkling hundreds of speed cameras across the city to slow down the average driving speed in urban area (which curiously included and still does part of the highway system), only to eventually go on record claiming that the result wasn't as good as expected because drivers reduced their speed hence the speed traps did not produce enough revenue. He was eventually elected Prime Minister.

Cassinonorth

I want them to let the parks go into disarray because the mtbers stopped looking after them. I don't think Essex county even has a parks department that maintains these trails, do they?

Patrick

Staff member
City official across the planet have a habit of creating legislation aimed at safety mostly expecting it to produce revenues through its enforcement. Their intentions usually are clear when they start complaining about said 'safety' legislation producing less than expected revenues, even if resulting in a 'safer' environment. An egregious example was the dumb mayor of Florence in the early 2000s sprinkling hundreds of speed cameras across the city to slow down the average driving speed in urban area (which curiously included and still does part of the highway system), only to eventually go on record claiming that the result wasn't as good as expected because drivers reduced their speed hence the speed traps did not produce enough revenue. He was eventually elected Prime Minister.

yeah - we did that in NJ until it started catching judges and mayors and police chiefs.
Something a good OPRA request would reveal!

• Wow
Reactions: don

don

Reading the article it sounds like it is a real shit show there. Covid comes along and kids and adults have nothing else to do so they look to the outdoors. Younger kids don't have a place to go but the local park. I think this quote gives a gauge on how tuned in the chairman is to the use of his park: “I think maybe after the lockdown here with COVID … I think there was an upsurge in park usage,” McLaughlin said. "I think maybe"? How about definitely. And there is a dog park but not an area for mountain biking?

How about give the mtn bikers and area to maintain and keep an eye on renegade trail and destruction. Riders that don't know any better will cut logs and pile dirt to make a quick and shitty jump - they don't know any better and are lazy. A good line would take less than an acre of land and can be safe for any level of rider if built properly.

Patrick

Staff member
Reading the article it sounds like it is a real shit show there. Covid comes along and kids and adults have nothing else to do so they look to the outdoors. Younger kids don't have a place to go but the local park. I think this quote gives a gauge on how tuned in the chairman is to the use of his park: “I think maybe after the lockdown here with COVID … I think there was an upsurge in park usage,” McLaughlin said. "I think maybe"? How about definitely. And there is a dog park but not an area for mountain biking?

How about give the mtn bikers and area to maintain and keep an eye on renegade trail and destruction. Riders that don't know any better will cut logs and pile dirt to make a quick and shitty jump - they don't know any better and are lazy. A good line would take less than an acre of land and can be safe for any level of rider if built properly.

in out town they removed the port-o-john from the parking lot (same as in CR) - you could guess what that lead to.....

so "no mountain biking" and they enforce that - how about allowing mtb, and enforce no littering?
no drinking alc? etc.

then we have to close the parking lot cause the garbage is overflowing - rather than bringing in a dumpster for the weekend.
yes it costs money, but the kids do need a place to play, even in these times. don't force them into unpatrolled woods, or basements.

i need to go paint over some tagging that was done on our bridge...wasn't even artistic.

• Sad
Reactions: don

don

in out town they removed the port-o-john from the parking lot (same as in CR) - you could guess what that lead to.....

so "no mountain biking" and they enforce that - how about allowing mtb, and enforce no littering?
no drinking alc? etc.

then we have to close the parking lot cause the garbage is overflowing - rather than bringing in a dumpster for the weekend.
yes it costs money, but the kids do need a place to play, even in these times. don't force them into unpatrolled woods, or basements.

i need to go paint over some tagging that was done on our bridge...wasn't even artistic.

Ugh

Scumbags will be less likely to do scumbag things when good people are around. Allow a good mtn bike area and you will have people that want to keep that area clean and safe (a home away from home). I am so surprised in this day and age land managers/municipalities/etc do not see that.

I feel for the kids. The mixed signals and confusion must be tough at a young age (it's been tough for me). Like you said the kids need a place to play and be kids especially in these times!

Oz Von Toco

People are using chainsaws to clear the trees that fell during storms and are now blocking the trails that hikers, dog walkers and mountain bikers use. This is the guy that probably started the whole enforcement recently.

Seems like they're mad that MTBers are doing the maintenance the park department always drops the ball on. The top picture from the article showing logs through a constant mud bog....isn't that good for hikers too?

Andypowerful

Seems like they're mad that MTBers are doing the maintenance the park department always drops the ball on. The top picture from the article showing logs through a constant mud bog....isn't that good for hikers too?
I've never seen any park personnel ever out of their vehicles. They have no idea what is happening on the trails. The Lenape trail that the person refers to in the article has had many trees fall during storms in the past year completely blocking the trail. If it wasn't for the mountain bikers maintaining these nobody would be able to use them. The structures that the article mentioned are very well built from pressure treated wood or composite boards and some do benefit the walkers because some areas are very prone to mud.

Top Bottom