Escape Plan - September challenge scoreboard.

Rounding out week three with a Ringwood-Sterling death march on Saturday with Mark and crew 2.5 points (where I got QOM on something actually called Death-march)
https://strava.app.link/ek1GIelOc0
6B1B9E0C-AEEE-46FF-956E-BBBCC65AFDC0.jpeg

And Sunday a quick scramble up Anthony’s Nose and a longer hike down - with Mark 2.5 points
https://strava.app.link/LAgFP8KOc0
42CEB552-9A93-482E-97F6-3EB795D2C245.jpeg

Heading to Barcelona for work tomorrow where this will become significantly more difficult!

Ride marshal for Tour de Summer CampsNJ which means I rode (slow) with people so 2 points

https://strava.app.link/QGNqQsRvc0

My way of paying it back to the cycling community today on a stellar summer September day.

View attachment 106306View attachment 106307View attachment 106308
View attachment 106309
Oh man, is that what it was?
First off, more people on bike is always a good thing..... but....
I was driving along Loantaka heading from Woodland towards 124/Madison Ave when I came up on a small group of riders. Loantaka Way is 40mph at that point.
There was a pair riding side by side (not wrong, but) doing about 10mph max, swirving back and forth the width of the lane. Ok, dangerous, but they don't know any better. As I came to the light to make the left onto Madison Ave, there was a group of four. The light was red. The father/daughter combo stops, watches a car pass, and goes thru the light as a car was approaching from the other direction. Oh, and the father wasn't wearing a helmet. If the west bound side wasn't two lanes in that direction, it would have been bad. I did see one rider being attended to by EMS on the corner in front of The Madison Hotel. Didn't look too serious, hope they're ok.

because who isn't bored watching the JETS, I added little trophies to the weekly total tabs.

Now to start thinking about the winner's pool. hmm. I get a feeling there is probably going to be a donation to something.
and maybe some froyo.

need to work up the finisher pin artwork soon. I actually think the pin idea is much better than a medal - you can stick a pin in your favorite hat,
and be at an event and get a little recognition. you ain't wearing that medal they give out - although the HTT swag was cool this year.

Oh man, is that what it was?
First off, more people on bike is always a good thing..... but....
I was driving along Loantaka heading from Woodland towards 124/Madison Ave when I came up on a small group of riders. Loantaka Way is 40mph at that point.
There was a pair riding side by side (not wrong, but) doing about 10mph max, swirving back and forth the width of the lane. Ok, dangerous, but they don't know any better. As I came to the light to make the left onto Madison Ave, there was a group of four. The light was red. The father/daughter combo stops, watches a car pass, and goes thru the light as a car was approaching from the other direction. Oh, and the father wasn't wearing a helmet. If the west bound side wasn't two lanes in that direction, it would have been bad. I did see one rider being attended to by EMS on the corner in front of The Madison Hotel. Didn't look too serious, hope they're ok.

@MadisonDan

The EMS was there to attend to a guy who was entering that road to get back to St Elizabeth college which was the start finish. I came up in the scene just as the EMS were finishing up with him he hit a blind pothole coming around that turn and went down. Didn’t seem serious just some road rash but the event dispatch sent the ambulance for him since they were right in the parking lot. Unfortunately his wife had come up on the scene just after it happened so I was glad to talk to her off the ledge. He refused further treatment and they got in her car and went home or to the hospital.

As far as the ride goes, that was my first time Marshaling an event like that and what you saw was likely the 18 mile ride where they let anyone with a bike participate. Without getting into a long story, there was some more than questionable riders participating like the guy who had his daughter on a badly functioning trail a bike. And also the family I ended up marshalling almost the whole day because the kid was 10 and riding a huffy too big for him and he had zero control over the bike. It’s a fine balance between overstepping my authority and just doing my best to keep people safe while trying to not get killed my self. I had to tell several people including the guy on the trail a bike NOT to go thru a red light unless a police officer is posted.

I saw at least 5 adults with no helmet. But they didn’t do any pre ride checks and who am I to say you can’t ride ??‍♂️

My learning experience from this past weekend was That while it’s good to have people on bikes there are people who don’t even understand the basics of riding anywhere except paved trails in a park.

Gladly that guy was the only person to get hurt yesterday out of 240 riders so I think that’s a win. And they raised almost 500K to help sponsor kids to go to summer camp next year.

Sorry too long of a posting.

because who isn't bored watching the JETS, I added little trophies to the weekly total tabs.

Now to start thinking about the winner's pool. hmm. I get a feeling there is probably going to be a donation to something.
and maybe some froyo.

need to work up the finisher pin artwork soon. I actually think the pin idea is much better than a medal - you can stick a pin in your favorite hat,
and be at an event and get a little recognition. you ain't wearing that medal they give out - although the HTT swag was cool this year.

If I didn’t say it before thanks for organizing this it’s motivating to do something every day.

And that HTT swag was way cool I am sure like me others know several finishers and that ride is insane.

Back
Top Bottom