Equilibrium while traversing the Matrix

Mountain Bike Mike

The basis of this thread is inspired by:

First day back at work, first day training for 2016, first day back in the gym, first day on my featherweight diet.

Time to build some strength

For the next three months, I'll be in the gym working my way towards the larger part of the rack. It's a refreshing change from playing around with the little weights for the last eight months or so

892D0E7E-93C6-4431-BB3C-DB9205606DFF_zpshsplh11x.jpg

Workout motivation

Lunch
C50E8988-8EF8-4650-83D3-05818C4004AD_zpseqsbvyxs.jpg

Thanks for reading

MBM 2016 GOALZ

Ultimately build upon last year's foundation

Increase hours and mileage and be careful and avoid any further injuries

MTB
- Ride more rocks and mountains
- faster, smoother and more efficient in the rough stuff
- maintain a lower race weight
- Mid Atlantic Super Series - Cat2
- build confidence and hopfully by the end of the race season feel ready for CAT1

Road
Learn the ways of the roadie - drafting, paceline, become a smarter roadie
Events: HOH, Covered Bridges
Maybe do some club road rides

CX - too early to talk about. Continue to race and accumulate points for a Cat3 upgrade

Be more disciplined with bike related spending

Last edited:
Goals? I know you outlined them elsewhere, but they should be recapped here

Yes, we're waiting...I mean if you are going to be eating a bowl of bird seed with a side of rabbit food...you should share your excuse. :)

My lunch was 2 chicken parm slices of pizza and a can of Sprite in 3 minutes flat. Back to work. Winning!

Okay, I copied your goals since you did not want to do it for us, but it sounds like you really have nothing else to prove for cat2. especially with this resume:

- March Mayhem: Cat2 30-39: 3rd
- H2H: MTBNJ Mooch Madness: Cat2 30-39: 1st
- H2H Spring Cleaning @ Waway: Cat2 30-39: 2nd
- Ramsey's Revenge: Cat2 30-30: 4th
- H2H: Lewis Morris Challenge: Cat2 30-39: 1st
- H2H: Bull Dog Rump: Cat2 30-39: 3rd
- MTBNJ Stewart 45: Sport: 2nd

You say that you want to be "prepared" for Cat 1, but you won't be. I spent a whole year DFL or second to last. You just need to pony up and do it.

Those were all your 2015 results

I would say you are cat 1 material now. As @pearl says be humbled next year it will only drive you harder or break you.

I actually thought you upgraded already. You do whatever feels right. If you go out there and kill everyone in the first race, you can always upgrade. However IMO (which you didnt ask for, but ill give you anyway), you're ready. I thought so since you did that thursday night CR ride.

Mike, did you have a new bike lined up for the upcoming season or still killing it on the hardtail?

The NJ heros need to expand their horizons. Cat 1 material in H2H does not equal Cat 1 material elsewhere. Go outside of the Hudson Valley and learn that you are not as fast as you think. Continue to work. Then, go into Cat 1 without the 'DFL for a year' thing.

The NJ heros need to expand their horizons. Cat 1 material in H2H does not equal Cat 1 material elsewhere. Go outside of the Hudson Valley and learn that you are not as fast as you think. Continue to work. Then, go into Cat 1 without the 'DFL for a year' thing.

While I agree it may not go outside the Hudson Valley, if you do most of your races in that area, why would you race Cat 2? Should I race Cat 2 down in Charlotte since it isn't in the Hudson Valley?

That thought process seems like it is just stalling development. Racing is hard. If you are going to spend this much time preparing and training, you should at least race people in a category that are preparing the same way you are.

Mike has shown the skills and ability, I don't know what he is waiting for. Saying he should be racing Cat 1 is a compliment.

It is the shortsighted that only want to stand atop their piers. The goal may be to be the best you can be. In constant search of challenge. Travel a long road of self-improvement. That is the type of goal that can't be questioned. It can't be measured by others. Cat 1 or Cat 2...doesn't matter. It is the type of thinking that will drive you well beyond the next event, season, or year.

Think outside the H2H box. Cause it is really small and insignificant when you realize what else is out there.

Back
Top Bottom