EggBeater experiences

Ride with the SL's and love em. Did have one instance where they unclipped mid-air, maybe more user error on my part.

ryan may have been riding his problem free(except for when he has to send em back for service/repair:D), but he also does wallrides on a trek 9.8 with crossmax wheels if i remember correctly.... the man floats like a butterfly.

They have given me many years of great performance. I agree the eggbeater C's are garbage. The metal is waaaaaay too soft. I sent those back and a new pair of SL's was sent out. They lasted probably 2 years with no issues. Well until I hit that car. That's when they failed and now they are being warrantied. The only actual failure I've had was a couple weeks ago when one loosened up on the spindle. These will be sent back shortly. Out of having 4 pairs for over 3 years and only 1 real failure? With all the miles I put in that's pretty good. I love em.

Oh plus I like the easier engagement and disengagement since my left knee is screwed up. Makes things good on the old joints when you've got a badly damaged PCL.

Broken another one on Saturday. :eek: Exact same failure as all the others. This time I felt it starting to go and stopped with the crack having propagated about 1/2 way through the spring. I would have liked to send it back like that but I was more interested in getting back to my car so I broke it the rest of the way off and saved the piece. It seemed like a good idea at the time. It was on the right side so now I'm even with 2 broken lefts, 2 broken rights.

Just got an SL back from CrankBros so I have 2 good SLs, 1 good C, and 3 broken Cs. sigh...

FWIW, I used the same 747s for 7 or 8 years w/o incident. Onzas before that. I've broken shoes (the old Answers in the cold) but never a pedal. It's crazy to hear people have ridden years with no problems and I'm breaking one every 5 rides or so.

I've seen or heard of too many failures to even consider owning these pedals. Too many riders exit the woods with the pedal body on the bottom of their shoe (still attached to the cleat) and the spindle on the crank arm.

I've been riding the same pedals since before the EBs came out and have had very few issues. All were wear and tear related. Everyone has their own experiences but I've seen, heard or read of too many bad ones about EggBeaters to overlook.

Last edited:
I ride with candy's and egg beaters (the cheapest model) never have had a problem. I even ride with them on my road bike

After being without my beloved eggbeater SL's for about 10 days they came back the other day with a card from the crank brothers pedal spa. It noted what they overhauled and free of charge. Their customer service rocks!!! I rode with them today and was glad to have em back so I don't have to swap 1 pair of pedals to 5 different bikes.

I've never broken a spring- that's a weird one. I have broken two spindles (Mallet and Eggbeater SL). But to be perfectly honest, the first broken spindle was on a pedal that made an awful lot of contact with rocks as I was kludgily learning to ride DH, and the second spindle was on a 4 year old pedal that I suspected needed a rebuild because the bushing was severely worn around the edges (earlier that week I had looked at it while commuting in and thought to myself 'I ought to rebuild these pedals and replace the bushing because it looks beat.' That weekend, the pedal spindle broke).

So for me, the pedals get it done if you do routine maintenance and rebuild them with new bushings yearly (if you put a lot of miles on them). They are the lightest thing around by a longshot, and I like the easy action in and out of the pedal. I hate fumbling with my Shimanos to actually get the cleat engaged...

Back
Top Bottom