• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters
0512111200.jpg

I am ready to shred

That said, GMO fruits & veggies are better than Pringles for dinner. IMO of course.

Also, to stay on topic, I’ll be riding the eBike tomorrow.

Among the pantheon of modern lies that have come to be accepted as truth, the entire GMO thing is right up there. Technically, things have been "GMO" since we started selectively breeding for certain traits and characteristics in our plants and animals 12,000 years ago. We've just found ways to do it faster now and more accurately now.

And to bring it back on topic, how can you philosophically be holistic, non-GMO, etc. and ride an e-bike also, which de-facto increases you "carbon footprint"?

Among the pantheon of modern lies that have come to be accepted as truth, the entire GMO thing is right up there. Technically, things have been "GMO" since we started selectively breeding for certain traits and characteristics in our plants and animals 12,000 years ago. We've just found ways to do it faster now and more accurately now.

And to bring it back on topic, how can you philosophically be holistic, non-GMO, etc. and ride an e-bike also, which de-facto increases you "carbon footprint"?
As someone who rode gas powered motorcycles in the woods for years, e-bikes feel insanely less impactful. No gas, no exhaust, no wheel spin. Ebikes basically are way closer to mtbs than dirt bikes.. despite what some people think. All three can leave you feeling tired and completely whooped. All three are better than sitting on your ass.

As someone who rode gas powered motorcycles in the woods for years, e-bikes feel insanely less impactful. No gas, no exhaust, no wheel spin. Ebikes basically are way closer to mtbs than dirt bikes.. despite what some people think. All three can leave you feeling tired and completely whooped. All three are better than sitting on your ass.
You're missing the point though, if you're into the entire non-GMO, save the Earth thing, moving from a bike to an e-bike by definition increases your carbon footprint period, which is at odds with your philosophy. Somewhere out there, out of sight and out of mind, someone still needs to burn a lump of coal, dam a river, or deplete a uranium fuel rod to charge your bike.

Reactions: mtn
You're missing the point though, if you're into the entire non-GMO, save the Earth thing, moving from a bike to an e-bike by definition increases your carbon footprint period, which is at odds with your philosophy. Somewhere out there, out of sight and out of mind, someone still needs to burn a lump of coal, dam a river, or deplete a uranium fuel rod to charge your bike.
No one said anything about saving the world. The conversation started about eating better. You rarely miss the opportunity to be the antagonist.

I didn't say it was less impactful.. Just that it feels so. The earth is fucked. I'm not saving anything.

Random Thursday morning thoughts: Three years in on my Yamaha YDX-Moro Pro, no regrets about going eMTB though if I knew then what I know now, I probably would have waited for an Orbea Rise or a Levo. I grew up riding dirt bikes and then started MTB riding in college, then switched back to dual-sport motorcycles for a decade or so, but then more and more riding areas disappeared, the organized rides started getting too crazy busy, muscling 300lbs of bike through tight rocky stick farms started losing its appeal, and the increase in drivers on smartphones has sucked the fun out of MC road riding over the past several years.

I came to realize I missed the relative simplicity of MTB riding, except I'm older, fatter, and slower now. The ebike lets me truck on up hills I was walking the bike up before, and I can cover a lot more ground before I'm beat for the day. Sold off all the MCs (except an XR100), and I'm bicycle-only now.

We have like a dozen demo bikes that you’re more than welcome to take out.
I think it's time for me to join the cult. Which location has an S4 carbon Levo to demo?

I'm leaning towards base carbon, but also a little suspension curious. I don't know if it's worth the extra $3k to jump to Fox in the Comp Carbon. I've never had anything fancier than RockShox Revelation RL and Monarch RT. Maybe ignorance is bliss.

Don't care about drivetrain or brakes because I'm going to swap them out regardless of model.

for myself...I have a ball every time I ride an ebike, and I have nothing against them at all.....as far as owning one....I still have a goal of getting faster/doing better in enduros.....Somehow at 47 coming off my worst injury, I got better at jumping bikes this year than I have ever been (not that im great or anything, but im a better version of me)....And I now that my ankle has gotten better, I look forward to doing some real training again....I have a couple of thoughts about how I could use an ebike to help with this.....Being able to do leg workouts and still ride the same day....going to some place like glen park...doing 5 runs on my regular bike takes ~2hrs or so with each climb being about 15-20min...I could do a hell of alot more runs in a day and also make it an easy day. Plus I like the idea of riding a heavy bike, then switching back to my light one.....I dont have any good evidence that this would work, but just a gut feeling....moving a bike thats 20lbs heavier around will have some benefit when you hop back on your lighter bike. It used to work nicely for the year or so that I raced MX and rode mtbs

I suppose I could also use it to tow my son around sometimes, but currently I have towed him plenty on my regular bike...I actually kind of enjoy bc its a HELL of a workout when I otherwise wouldnt get much riding with him. My wife would also love to ride it around...and while probably not enough to justify buying one....she would LOVE dropping my smart ass son...might be worth it just to watch that...hmm.

Anyway, im sure ill have one someday.
You might do well with the new Kenevo SL2 coming out early next year. Same weight, but new motor with more power. Should be way easier to jump than the full watt ebikes.

I see now that someone posted it above.

I think it's time for me to join the cult. Which location has an S4 carbon Levo to demo?

I'm leaning towards base carbon, but also a little suspension curious. I don't know if it's worth the extra $3k to jump to Fox in the Comp Carbon. I've never had anything fancier than RockShox Revelation RL and Monarch RT. Maybe ignorance is bliss.

Don't care about drivetrain or brakes because I'm going to swap them out regardless of model.
Get some time on a any bike with the new Bosch drive unit. On many rides recently I’ve swapped bikes with other riders. It’s not just my opinion that this is the preferred setup.

Back
Top Bottom