• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters
Dual battery on that bike is 1000 watt hours, spirited riding is 35w hr to 50w hr.

To go 150 miles on a 1000w pack in eco mode maybe you are out for a 12 hour ride and it's only helping 80 watts average the whole time. A 70lb bike needs 80 watts to get out of it's own way.

At best you can go 35 to 50 miles on a 1000w battery with that heavy bike
YMMV, I usually ride between tour and sport modes and I get way better than 50 miles overall on a charge. I got around 5700 miles or so on it now and it has been consistent. My rides are usually 10 miles average running errands and I charge up every week or two. It’s a fantastic bike for what it was built for.

YouTuber The Singletrack Sampler added an e-bike in his latest video. What he did in the video (rode it at Kanuga bike park), is what I've often thought of what I'd want an e-bike for.

What he did in the video (rode it at Kanuga bike park), is what I've often thought of what I'd want an e-bike for.

I clicked play and saw the video was 22 minutes long and immediately lost interested and turned it off. However, I agree with what I assume the point of the video was, that self shuttling at a bike park would be a good use of an e-bike.

YouTuber The Singletrack Sampler added an e-bike in his latest video. What he did in the video (rode it at Kanuga bike park), is what I've often thought of what I'd want an e-bike for.

There's no lift and the whole park is basically designed for e-bikes. It and the other nearby bike park on the only legal spots to ride e-bikes in the area.

I haven't gotten a chance to ride there but not just is the uphill setup for e-bikes but apparently the jumps and such are built around higher speeds of e-bikes.

I clicked play and saw the video was 22 minutes long and immediately lost interested and turned it off. However, I agree with what I assume the point of the video was, that self shuttling at a bike park would be a good use of an e-bike.

I dragged through the slider. I saw him looking at bikes online, towing someone up to the top of the park and riding his bike. Sometimes YouTube videos could just be two sentences instead of long videos.

Reactions: don
There's no lift and the whole park is basically designed for e-bikes. It and the other nearby bike park on the only legal spots to ride e-bikes in the area.

I haven't gotten a chance to ride there but not just is the uphill setup for e-bikes but apparently the jumps and such are built around higher speeds of e-bikes.
ebikes are arguably slower going downhill than regular bikes. The motor cuts out at 20mph

ebikes are arguably slower going downhill than regular bikes. The motor cuts out at 20mph
I don't think you can pedal anything over 25 mph, gearing and legs don't go that fast.
When I hit 20 mph I can't pedal much faster, need a bigger sprocket or smaller gear. (maybe that's just me).
Downhill I hit 35 mph last week on the road, not pedaling, just hanging on. Scary by the way.

It's not the downs where it's different it's the flat sections with a jump. They can design the trail where you don't need elevation loss too gain speed.

I haven't ridden them but the complaint it's hard or impossible to get the speed with a regular bike on those.

Warwick school just had a lithium ion battery filled Conex fire today. The immediate area was evacuated. Probably a first for them.

Warwick school just had a lithium ion battery filled Conex fire today. The immediate area was evacuated. Probably a first for them.
Hmm, lots of lithium batteries in a conex box. In the summer.

What could go wrong?

From what I’ve seen, the kids are on the absolute cheapest e-bikes out there so a school will definitely go up by the end of the year. Put it on your 2023 Bingo Card now.

I don't think you can pedal anything over 25 mph, gearing and legs don't go that fast.
When I hit 20 mph I can't pedal much faster, need a bigger sprocket or smaller gear. (maybe that's just me).
Downhill I hit 35 mph last week on the road, not pedaling, just hanging on. Scary by the way.
Huh? Maybe on a current mtn bike with a 32-11 top gear, but even in my piss-poor shape I can sprint to 30 MPH on my road bike. Pros and Cat 1 racers can easily sustain 32 MPH in a paceline - I did it once (and yes, elbow-to-elbow & inches between wheels at that speed is scary AF at first, but you get used to it). My top speed going downhill on a road bike was around 60 MPH. More skilled riders can go faster.

Amusingly, at 22 minutes, that is actually one of his shorter videos. The YouTube algorithm seems to favor longer videos - more time for ads (unless you have an ad-blocker).

As I've mentioned in the past, there are a few riding areas around here that are similar to Kanuga in seemly ready-made for e-bikes: Glen Park and Spring Mtn come to mind. One of the comments Alex made in the video is how the heavier (42 lbs) e-bike felt more solid and easier to ride on the jumps than his 32 lb trail bike.

Just put a 3000w controller on my bike. Bench tested it without a tire on it and the wheel went 125mph in a fraction of a second and the rim strip came off and got caught in the derailleur. Took it out for a short ride on a closed course and it is beyond fast

Last edited:
This thing came in for a tune-up and was super fun to ride around. Felt like it was 40ish lbs like a VadoSL. Topped out at 20mph but might be upgradable with a Firmware swap.

IMG_6535.jpeg

This reminds me of a very interesting ebike I saw at one of the bike shops in Bentonville. I think it was a Trek but had a bucket up front with mounts for 2 child seats or you can leave the seats out and carry stuff in it. Wish I had taken a picture of it.

Back
Top Bottom