Dual Sport Bike Advice

Smokey

I had a DRZ 400 and it was a nice bike except the standover was more appropriate for the jolly green giant and it just wasn't fun not being able to put my foot down at a stop sign.
Cut 2.5" of foam out of the Husky seat, still cant touch the ground!

THATmanMANNY

I just couldn't spend that kind of money without thinning the herd.

Anyways, why does everyone want to trade me a dr650?

Got another offer for a 2015 like new.....

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I just couldn't spend that kind of money without thinning the herd.

Anyways, why does everyone want to trade me a dr650?

Got another offer for a 2015 like new.....

prolly because it's big. not the easiest thing to move around. a 650 has a ton of power - unnecessary amounts unless you're hill climbing the dunes out in utah and CO. so its heavy and overkill.

300 is all you really need. ample power, lighter weight, better mileage.

I Ride Bikes

yea but whatever dual sport i'm considering I'll have 10x more opportunities to ride it on the road than trails
You don't need a 650 to have fun on the roads. My 250 is still so much fun on the roads. I don't ride highways tho. Still way faster than most cars. Those big bikes look like a pain in the ass to ride on anything more than dirt roads IMO.

olegbabich

I had a KLR650 and now own a DR650. When I was much younger, one summer I took my KLR across USA and back .

DR is more capable off road than KLR. KLR will better for Highway and 2nd generation of KLR is a real PIG.

Both bikes can scrape the pegs in the twisties.

Most plated KTMs are not Dual Sport Bikes, they are street legal Enduro Bikes. I think KTM 550 and 690 can be used as a Dual Sport. All of the smaller models are not very road friendly for anything more than connecting the trails. Most people trailer them and do not ride them to the trails.

Than there is the cost of purchasing a Premium Enduro Bikes and short service intervals.

I upgraded the rear shock on my DR and installed RMZ 450 forks. I ride with slow people so even KTM Boys do not have to wait very long for me to catch up. I do not ride Single Track or Whoop de Doos at great speed and NJ Sugar Sand can be a pain in the ass, but I do have fun taking my DR places it has no business going.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom