Dual Sport Bike Advice

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I grew up riding quads and dirt bikes. Then I had a Honda Intruder 800 in high school and bought a Honda VTX 1800F when I graduated college.

Against my wife's wishes, I sold my VTX before our son was born... as a contingency she made me buy my first quality mtb, hence where I am today.

Anyways... my son now has his first quad and we started riding my old trails (all legal, but private property... neighbors I've known since birth).

I don't have a ride so I've been borrowing one of the neighbors ATVs. Now I'm contemplating getting a dual sport. Something I can take in the trails with my son and do my short 12 mile commute to work with.

Having never been in this realm.... looking for advice on which years/makes/models to look at.

walter

Fourth Party
Honestly, if you don't plan on shredding trails like an endure pro, any of the KLR's, XR's, DR's will do just fine. Those single cylinder 4 strokes are pretty much bomb proof. If you want to murder trails, KTM. Ive owned a KLR650, and although it was a tank, it was highway speed capable and awesome on gas.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Considering I-195 separates me from my parents house (&trails), highway capable is a consideration. Can still take back roads, but I'm one of those that would rather have the power and not need it, rather than being short on power and wishing I had it. Is the price difference significant?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I went through 5 bikes till I got it right.

Start reading up on the ktm 350 Xcf-w. (The w version is street legal, the exc version has blinkers too for $1000 more, but you don't need em)

It is street legal, fast enough on the road and a blast in the woods.

Reach out if you want to see mine or ride it.

ktmrider

thx @Mountain Bike Mike for the shout out , I decided to not sell my Yamaha , will keep it and put tracks on it . @skier18 what is your weight ? How long have you been riding ? I know a lot of people with bikes for sale and I know places to purchase them new that come street legal . Most importantly what's your budget ?
Ktm is a really nice ride
Yamaha as well
I would stay away from the large and obese bikes kLR,DR style , they are fun but not good for trail . They are perfect if your looking to ride a lot of road and some trail . . Hope this helps it's always good to grow the moto community .

Last edited:

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Thanks for the advice everyone... exactly what I was looking for.

@jdog I might take you up on that.

@ktmrider im 170 lbs. Been riding my whole life, not afraid of CCs... my fuel injected 1800cc VTX was a fun beast :)
I'm definitely in the "used" market. Depending how the tax return works out, targeting $5k

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Will do man, thanks! Will probably get more serious in the February/March time frame, but if you see something pop up anytime please send the info my way. :)

THATmanMANNY

I got a bite on a trade. Mtn Bike for Dual Sport.

Curious, what is a 2004 DR650SE worth, good condition, 15k miles?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
oh then no lol

it's a bit much but seeing if it was worth it.

350-450 would be the sweet spot

If money was no object, I would say to wait for the new street legal, 250 four stroke from ktm that will be out this fall. I am just over 200lbs and the 350 is all I would ever want in the woods. I have ridden a 400, 450 and 500 and all of them are fun but simply too heavy.

One of the fastest guys I have known rode a two stroke 150 for years. He was always on the gas super hard and he won a lot of races on that bike.

As a beginner, I think that less is more. Less to lift up when you drop it. Less to buy. A smaller bike might not be your last bike but I think I should have started smaller.

Smokey

image.jpeg Manny, you missed out! i sold that KTM 450 today for way more money that i was asking for, had 2 guys in a bidding war! I got a brand new Husky 350, its pretty awesome!

njmark

Professional Cyclist
I had a DRZ 400 and it was a nice bike except the standover was more appropriate for the jolly green giant and it just wasn't fun not being able to put my foot down at a stop sign.

Top Bottom