Drivetrain conversion assistance

Chris Nordt

I'm looking to convert my current 9x3 setup to a 11x1. Do any of you guys running that setup have any suggeestions as far as parts/specs? Also I've heard the 11 speed cassette will fit a 8-9-10 hub, any truth to that? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking to convert my current 9x3 setup to a 11x1. Do any of you guys running that setup have any suggeestions as far as parts/specs? Also I've heard the 11 speed cassette will fit a 8-9-10 hub, any truth to that? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
1x10 is awesome, so I'm sure 1x11 is just as awesome if not awesomer. The Shimano 11 speeds will fit the 8-9-10 mountain hub, SRAM will not. As for the front, you just want to make sure that your chainline will be about halfway down the cassette, or closer to the climbing gears since you use them the most.

Built up a new bike for my wife and converted from 3x9 to 1x11 with shimano XT. great prices on that stuff right now. stick with shimano unless you want to go and convert your hub for sram. the only thing that needs a bit of attention was setting up the spacing on the front chain ring so its positioned best for the wide range of gears. everything else was very simple and straight forward.

Sram needs a different rear hub, some are convertible.
If you have 3x9 now your hub could actually be too old to accept an 11spd shimano cassette. Most newer ones can. But like none of mine can since I'm not rich like Aaron and his new parts.
So the main thing you need to find out is:
Can your hub take an 11spd shimano
Can you convert your hub to sram xd driver
Sram is "better" because it goes down to 10t, yes it's 1 tooth different but that's about 10% advantage. So you could run 28t front instead of 30t and have the same top speed but better granny and better log clearance.

So I shouldn't have an issue changing my Raceface 3 chain ring setup to a single chain ring either?
If you are keeping the cranks, but changing the rings, you'll need different (shorter) chainring bolts or washers.

I just converted my FatBoy from 2x10 to 1x11. The XT 11 speed cassette does fit on a standard hub. SRAM will not. I went with the raceface chainring up front, had no issues and it runs great.

So I shouldn't have an issue changing my Raceface 3 chain ring setup to a single chain ring either?
You need to figure out which bolt circle dia you have and make sure you purchase the correct version.

Thanks for the help guys, I actually decided to go with a 10x1 setup. On my current 9x3 my middle ring is a 32 so I got a raceface 32 narrow wide single with a bash ring to be safe, and my current granny in the rear is a 34 so I went with a 11-36 rear. Can't wait to not have to adjust a front derailleur anymore! I spend just over $200 on the setup, so I'm hoping it will be a worth-while investment.. see you on the trails!

Thanks for the help guys, I actually decided to go with a 10x1 setup. On my current 9x3 my middle ring is a 32 so I got a raceface 32 narrow wide single with a bash ring to be safe, and my current granny in the rear is a 34 so I went with a 11-36 rear. Can't wait to not have to adjust a front derailleur anymore! I spend just over $200 on the setup, so I'm hoping it will be a worth-while investment.. see you on the trails!

If you would like a wider range cass, this is the ticket. We have been selling a bunch lately.
https://www.praxiscycles.com/product/cassette/

Yeah I saw that too, even with that the 11sp build was a bit more expensive and I was worried about the 11 not fitting my hub. I have a 8-9-10 hub so i knew the 10 would fit with out an issue. Plus if I really needed a 42 I could add a 42 sprocket and just take out the 17, but I think I'll be fine with the 36.

haha.. awwwww.. One day you will grow up big and strong and not need a 42 anymore lol. I was good with my old 34, but I figured the 36 wouldn't hurt. I've got 20+ years of ice hockey in my legs, not ready to concede to a 42 yet lol

Another option are the Sunrace 11-40 & 11-42 10-speed cassettes. I've upgraded my bikes to those and they work real well. For Shimano you may need a Goatlink $20 on the derailleur to avoid need a longer B-screw and to reduce the angle/stress of the rear derailleur. I am using the Goatlink on my wife's bike and I have the XT M8000 RDR on mine, both work well. I've seen the cassettes at $58 for the MS3 (steel 42) or MX3 (alum 42).

Back
Top Bottom