Driveable Weekend Getaways - Where are your favorite spots? (no bikes)

Newport was always cool.
Boston too, we used to go pretty often.
Cape May-but might be dead off season?
We did an amazingly cheap touristy day in NYC recently. Walked the High Line, took the ferry around Lady Liberty, ended up in Chinatown for steamed pork buns.
Inner Harbor is like a concrete dystopian horror show. GPS took us through the worst of the area, like dirty toddlers wandering around burned out cars bad.
Assateague Island if you like horses, would work well with a Rehoboth beach trip.
Lake Placid is fun in the winter.
Gunks/Minnewaska area is gorgeous, find a B&B and watch the stars later.

Inner Harbor is like a concrete dystopian horror show. GPS took us through the worst of the area, like dirty toddlers wandering around burned out cars bad.
Agreed
Lake Placid is fun in the spring summer fall and winter.

fixed that!

We (my daughter and I) went to Newport this past spring for a cheer comp, spent the weekend, had a blast. Shopped, ate, went to the beach, did the mansions tour, etc. Told the wife I'd like to go back, maybe even bring her and do some more adult things.

PS, great thread idea, Chris!

Another vote for Newport.

While not summer crowded, Cape May would still have things going on leading up to the holidays. Jan/Feb might be dead.

I'm going to Jamestown/Newport R.I. for thanksgiving..bringing my bike....can you give me some good jewels of 'funness':cool: to do with my bike while I'm there... Paleeze..and thank you..peace and warm fire...

Good luck with finding some riding info. From previous research via Google or MTBR, was really tough to find any MTB info. There is a shop in downtown Newport, http://www.tenspeedspokes.com/, that wasn't open when I was there to ask about riding. Lots of traffic in Newport, but Jamestown seems much more rideable on the road.

i'll bump lk placid/lk george -
lots of winter sports, lots of water sports, lots of hills.

maple trail in the spring
winter carnival in feb
beer
hiking/camping
adirondack museum
ausable chasm
some caverns/caves
6ers (well, they are above the tree line)
olympic history
burlington
canada

* Go to Boston, piss on the Green Monster, and leave. Don't go to Cheers, you'll be disappointed. That city sucks.

* DC, see every museum. Really good Ethiopian/Eritrean food in the area.

Green Monster? You haven't been to Boston in awhile.

I second the Eritrean place. I tell everyone to go there. I hate Ethiopian/Eritrean food, yet that place is worth going to.

outer banks for the weekend? thats kinda far doe
I've done that. We went the weekend AFTER labor day. Prices for lodging drop dramatically at that time, and most of the tourists have left for the season. Plus, the weather is still awesome at that time of year (except for the random early season hurricane).

Good luck with finding some riding info. From previous research via Google or MTBR, was really tough to find any MTB info. There is a shop in downtown Newport, http://www.tenspeedspokes.com/, that wasn't open when I was there to ask about riding. Lots of traffic in Newport, but Jamestown seems much more rideable on the road.

thanks..jamestown is nice....hard to believe not much about mountian biking..might not be too much traffic around due to the cold new england weather...oh well..I like to fly by the seat of my pants half the time anyway so I am pretty sure I'll figure out something fun......:popcorn:

About 6hrs from NJ. Carvins Cove, Roanoke VA. 40 miles of rolling single track. Well marked. I believe this is an IMBA Epic... Also, check out Jefferson State Forest and maybe pick up some real moonshine.

Not sure what kind of other activities you are looking for, but here's one possible idea: a self-designed pub/beer crawl. You could do that in so many places now -- Philly, DC, NYC, Boston, mid- to upstate NY, RI, etc. Just spend a weekend going from one to another to sample local stuff. My wife recently gave me my own personal Philly crawl for my birthday. I've lived here a long time now and yet she was still able to find a few places I'd never heard of. You could even combine it with some other activities over the weekend (e.g., up near Cooperstown, NY, you could hit the Baseball HoF if you're into that and there are a few great breweries right near there, including Ommegang.) A lot of people think it's just a weekend of getting hammered, and that's certainly possible if you want it to go that way, but it certainly doesn't have to be. And they're really fun to plan out, especially if you include places you've never been to.

Back
Top Bottom