Document your Cars

Fire Lord Jim

What's the story on that Series LR?

Was the yellow the original color?
Let me set the table. I was the motorcycle boy from the wrong side of the tracks, dating the school valedictorian. Her mom was a scientist, her dad had a chauffeur take him to work. Something about atomic energy. The Land Rover was on display at the New York Auto Show in that yellow to red fade. He bought it and gave it to his daughter.

don

Let me set the table. I was the motorcycle boy from the wrong side of the tracks, dating the school valedictorian. Her mom was a scientist, her dad had a chauffeur take him to work. Something about atomic energy. The Land Rover was on display at the New York Auto Show in that yellow to red fade. He bought it and gave it to his daughter.

Haha - love it!

There is always a good story with old Land Rovers - those damn things! I have 3.5 of them sitting in my yard/garage right now.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Part 3 - The Pickup/Vette Era:

Bonus, some real pictures!

1991 GMC Z71
I was out of school and had a real job for a few years and had been driving the GLH, so I thought it would be cool to have a truck. Bought this a few years old.

View attachment 142639

At the same time I was single and flush with cash. I had always wanted a Vette so started looking. I really wanted a '65-'67 big block, but way outside my price range even then. Decided to get the '70 that I just sold. Did some work to it, but mainly just drove it for fun. Had it for ~28 years. A picture (Polaroid!) of the day I bought it:

View attachment 142640

1992 GMC Syclone

Decided to sell the 1500 and get this. This truck was a blast, quick as hell. Also small as hell! Not the new style extended cab there was almost no room for anything except in the bed. Stolen from outside a club by work, never found.

Not an actual pic.
1597584513208495d56IMG_7245-scaled-e1600872544481.jpg

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-gmc-syclone-27/

After it was stolen bought a 1990 GMC Stepside 4X4 while looking for something else.

Not actual Pic but like this:

View attachment 142641

Then found another Syclone looked exactly the same. Stolen from the parking lot at work, never found. :mad:

Some actual bonus photos:

My '70 SS396. My friend, not me in the pic.

View attachment 142642

My wife's (girlfriend at the time) '73 Duster that she bought from my neighbor after her Monte Carlo was totaled.
Me in the pic.
View attachment 142643

Next the Modern (semi) era. :p
Part 4 - The Married Era

When my second Syclone was stolen, my wife had an Isuzu Rodeo and my daughter was about 3 years old. I figured it was time to get something with 4 doors, but I wanted a stick shift. Nothing made in the US at the time fit the bill for a sporty sedan so that's when I moved to BMW. Got a CPO 1998 4 door BMW M3.
34 Front Pass2.JPG

Great car, loved it, but needed more power. Somehow I rationalized to my wife that I didn't need a 4 door and got the E46 M3 with ~16K miles on it.

M3.jpg

1999 GMC Sierra Stepside 4X4

Thought having a pickup for bike and dog duties would be fun and @Patrick gave me the deal of a lifetime. Probably the best value I've ever had in a vehicle. Bought it with about 240K mikes and now has ~287K. My mission is to get it to 300K. Due to being "totaled" in an accident that was 100% the other drivers fault, this truck is now cash positive even after new brake lines, tires and a new trans.

img_20181220_065341768-jpg.83185

Early this year I decided that I wasn't driving or enjoying the '70 Vette that much, and the M3 had >150K miles and was questionable as a daily driver. I had heard that since the C8 Vettes were out, the C7s were being heavily discounted. Decided to sell both the M3 and the C3 and get the current whip:

img_20200305_064202199_hdr-jpg.120855

It's awesome and hope to get many more smiles out of it.

Maybe I'll document the wife and kids cars to finish up.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Damn, I wish I had pictures of some of the cars my Dad had, specifically his '69 Firebird with a 350 V8, his '72 Fury II we called "The Tank" because it was green and huge. I also which I can find a picture of my very first car, a 1982 Datsun 210 SL Hatchback. It was had manual transmission, steering, windows, AM/FM Radio (not stereo) and no A/C. I think the only thing power it had was the brakes. It was so basic and I loved it. I got it brand new when I got my driver's license and my Dad sprung for aluminum wheels which were rare back then. That was the gateway drug, so to speak, to my interest in cars. It was every easy to tinker with because it was so plain. Great way to learn about how cars work.

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Man, I never did this?

My first car was a 86 Buick Regal that looked sorta like a Grand National. Had Chevy 350 in it, that's all I remember sadly. Eventually for some reason or another we got rid of it, but I couldn't remember why.

2671280015_large.jpg

Next car I drove through high school was an 81 el camino. Did some epic burnouts. Blew up "somehow"....
2671280036_large.jpg

My dad got tired of me playing with toy cars and ended up finding this Pontiac Bonneville. This also did some awesome one wheel burnouts up front, and I even took it offroading one time. I got in an accident with it on the way to a ski trip and that was the end of that.
2671280031_large (1).jpg

Instead of buying old junkers, my parents decided it was best to have a car that was reliable, like the good ol' 96 Honda Civic. DSCF3526.jpg

I had a friend who was into modding them and it was a bad combo. Little did they know...I eventually ended up putting a turbo on the stock non vtec motor and with about $700 with of parts it, went 13.60 @105.

Good little 1-2 action:

Watch me smoke a VW 337 and a GSR hatch from a dig on a stock clutch with the turbo setup:

I blew that motor up and put in a single cam vtec motor, but never got to run it at its full potential. I ended up selling the turbo kit and the complete engine and put in a b16 swap, which was a ton of fun to drive around. I had plans to turbo that motor but ended up trading the car for....

This 1998 Acura Integra with a H22 LSD swap.
P1000290.jpgP1000214.jpg
This thing was FAST. I now had power windows/locks and a sunroof. It even beat up on some AMG's with it. It was reliable and comfortable. At the same time, and the only time, I ended up having two cars that I drove on a regular basis.

Watch me drop a modded Mini Cooper S (but get smoked by a IS350)

I picked up this 92 Civic EX for $1500 and was going to use it as a beater car while I worked on the integra. Like anything I've owned, it did not stay stock for long.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.21.02 AM.png

Was dead reliable and ended up selling it for $1500 a year or so later as I unloaded both the Integra and purple coupe for...

a 2007 WRX TR Version. This was suppose to be my grown up, not messing with cars anymore stint. I had a warranty, all the stuff you could ever want in a car and it was still fun to drive.

It started out harmless with some drop springs and a axle back exhaust, but then it went full fledge stage 2 tune and of course I had to take it to the track:

Then some coilovers, and STi Wheels, then I went full blown... wide wheels, catless exhaust, Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.37.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.38.02 AM.png
Peep the Halters Sticker

At some point it finally had a transmission issue at 33,000 miles, 3,000 before the warranty. It was a rush to put it back to stock and get it fixed by the dealer. I was scared shitless it would blow up again even without ragging on it too much, so I ended up selling it and buying another brand new car...

A 2010 Mazdaspeed3. Again, same principle as last time. NO MORE MODDING STUFF. I was 24 and need to grow up, right? I can deal with the high monthly payment, I'm a kid...

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.41.37 AM.png
I don't know how long I had it but at some point I had buyers remorse and the guilt of driving this new car with payments was getting to me. I eventually drove to a local dealership that had the next big move in brain....

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Learned to drive in a 1950 Ford dump truck. Almost identical to RoadKill's Stubby Bob. Down to the fact that there were no brakes other then the e-brake.

After that learning experience, I owned... 1967 Buick Riviera (gold standard!); 1972 Dodge Powerwagon access cab short bed; 1979 Chevy K10 short bed step side that was modified till the frame cacked; 1988 Chevy pickup that was returned under lemon law w/ less then 3k on the odometer; 1987 Tercel EZ Hatchback w/ rural package (that handled long highway or sand road drives equally well); 1988 Toyota LandCruiser (gold standard!); 1999 VW Passat 1.8 T that made a long commute less painful; 2005 Nissan Pathfinder Off Road; 2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail; 2014 Scion FR-S; 2019 Toyota Avalon Touring; 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road.

My high school friends are the ones that had the interesting cars and trucks.

Pictured is my buddy's '68 GTO. Because it was 1976; air shocks lifted the rear for the wide tires, a Holley double pumper was added because MPG was not bad enough, the shifter used a Budweiser tap handle, shag carpet on the dash and painted lace accents on the hood completed the look. Sadly that car was totaled while parked along A1A Fort Lauderdale several years later.

Another friend had a primer red 1947 Ford pickup with a big block Oldsmobile six pack engine and Chrysler rear installed. That truck was terrifying to ride in.

IMG_0099.jpg

xc62701

Let's see:
1986.5 Nissan Pickup
1990 Nissan Pickup
1988 GMC Sonoma
1987 Mazda Pickup
1988 Mustang LX
1990 Taurus SHO
1990 Mercury Sable
1986 GMC Sonoma
1973 Dodge Charger
2001 Dodge Dakota R/T
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2011 Kia Soul
2014 Subaru Impreza
2021 Kia Telluride

I think that's all of them.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Let's see:
1986.5 Nissan Pickup
1990 Nissan Pickup
1988 GMC Sonoma
1987 Mazda Pickup
1988 Mustang LX
1990 Taurus SHO
1990 Mercury Sable
1986 GMC Sonoma
1973 Dodge Charger
2001 Dodge Dakota R/T
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2011 Kia Soul
2014 Subaru Impreza
2021 Kia Telluride

What happened to the Charger? Pics?

rick81721

Lothar
Let's see:
1986.5 Nissan Pickup
1990 Nissan Pickup
1988 GMC Sonoma
1987 Mazda Pickup
1988 Mustang LX
1990 Taurus SHO
1990 Mercury Sable
1986 GMC Sonoma
1973 Dodge Charger
2001 Dodge Dakota R/T
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2011 Kia Soul
2014 Subaru Impreza
2021 Kia Telluride

How do you like the Telluride so far? We ordered one for wifey but won't come in until 8 - 12 weeks.

xc62701

What happened to the Charger? Pics?
It was a relic pulled out of someones backyard that I had plans on restoring. Then I realized I was a college kid with no money and sold it off for someone to restore at a loss. I think I made one shiny clean spot on the hood in the 6 months I owned it and annoyed my parents. Oh yea, supposedly it was numbers matching blah blah blah but it was missing the carburetor and had debris in the engine. That was the bigger issue. I had no money to address that.

Here's what I was hoping it would turn into.

1611323569952.png

Last edited:

xc62701

How do you like the Telluride so far? We ordered one for wifey but won't come in until 8 - 12 weeks.
It's awesome. The only other kia I had was the soul and this thing is totally different. Build quality is much better and the technology package it has is great. All the reviews states that it feels like a luxury SUV at a lower pricepoint and from all I've experienced so far I have to agree. I got the White EX Nightfall package and love it.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's awesome. The only other kia I had was the soul and this thing is totally different. Build quality is much better and the technology package it has is great. All the reviews states that it feels like a luxury SUV at a lower pricepoint and from all I've experienced so far I have to agree. I got the White EX Nightfall package and love it.
My parents usually grab the cheapest lease they can to have one small SUV around. It's been a RAV4 for a few cycles now, but their prices have gone up a lot. They always had great lease pricing prior. They picked up the new Kia Seltos a few weeks ago and it's pretty nice.

I miss my Soul sometimes. I had a 2010 5spd, super basic, super reliable.

xc62701

My parents usually grab the cheapest lease they can to have one small SUV around. It's been a RAV4 for a few cycles now, but their prices have gone up a lot. They always had great lease pricing prior. They picked up the new Kia Seltos a few weeks ago and it's pretty nice.

I miss my Soul sometimes. I had a 2010 5spd, super basic, super reliable.
I had the 2011 5 speed base as well. Great car but HORRIBLE in the snow. That's why I went subaru after.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had the 2011 5 speed base as well. Great car but HORRIBLE in the snow. That's why I went subaru after.
I had a set of Michelin X-Ice3. That thing flew! But if you really need to get around in weather, for sure.

xc62701

I had a set of Michelin X-Ice3. That thing flew! But if you really need to get around in weather, for sure.

Yea I wasn't wanting to mess with winter tires at that point. Now I have blizzaks on my telluride. I got stuck and almost died a few times. It was time to just get AWD.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
a 2007 WRX TR Version. This was suppose to be my grown up, not messing with cars anymore stint. I had a warranty, all the stuff you could ever want in a car and it was still fun to drive
You were driving this when we met; it was all done up by that point, IIRC.

I've always like the pig nose WRX, contrary to most people I talked to back then.

I miss my Speed 3. :confused:

Top Bottom