Document your Cars

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@GSTim had a good idea - although i don't want to look these up on BaT.
List the clunkers, racers, cruisers, and family trucksters.

What was special, what was funny?
Other stories....

Kaleidopete

This one comes to mind, 1963, the hot cars of the time were Ford and Chevy.
So what's my old man buy, an XKE Jag. Ha, I used to pick up my girlfriend after school in it.
I was already out of school and just a bum, but it was kinda funny to see the other kids
reactions to this car.
Jaguar1962.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I need to check my pictures.

‌---Got my permit June 1980
1974‌ ‌Honda‌ ‌CVCC‌ ‌-‌ ‌Got‌ ‌hit‌ ‌while‌ ‌parked‌ ‌- think Dad and I were getting Pizza on main street, boonton.
1604330189477.png
1972‌ ‌Plymouth‌ ‌Cricket‌ ‌-‌ ‌dropped-in‌ ‌an‌ ‌engine‌ ‌from‌ ‌a‌ ‌totaled‌ ‌donor‌ ‌purchased‌ ‌for‌ ‌$50‌ ‌-‌ ‌total‌ ‌
cost‌ ‌was‌ ‌like‌ ‌$200‌ ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌two‌ ‌junk‌ ‌cars‌ ‌and‌ ‌a‌ ‌new‌ ‌clutch‌ ‌assembly.‌ ‌Spun‌ ‌it‌ ‌on‌ ‌Diamond‌ ‌Spring‌ ‌
Road‌ ‌coming‌ ‌home‌ ‌from‌ ‌school.‌ ‌Didn’t‌ ‌hit‌ ‌anything‌ ‌hard.‌ ‌Learned‌ ‌a‌ ‌valuable‌ ‌lesson‌ ‌that‌ ‌day.‌ ‌

---Got my license Dec 1980
1969‌ ‌Firebird‌ ‌-‌ ‌purchased‌ ‌1981,‌ ‌sold‌ ‌2019.‌ ‌Drove‌ ‌it‌ ‌for‌ ‌2‌ ‌years.‌ ‌
1604329776910.pngIMG_7886.JPG
1976‌ ‌Ford‌ ‌Pinto‌ ‌hatchback‌ ‌V6!‌ ‌(replaced‌ ‌engine‌ ‌-‌ ‌owner‌ ‌didn’t‌ ‌know‌ ‌to‌ ‌change‌ ‌oil,‌ ‌drove‌ ‌1‌ ‌
winter,‌ ‌sold‌ ‌to‌ ‌a‌ ‌cousin)‌ ‌- driving this while the nose was off the firebird.
1604329726000.png

1972‌ ‌Mercury‌ ‌Capri‌ ‌(replaced‌ ‌head‌ ‌gasket,‌ ‌drove‌ ‌1‌ ‌month‌ ‌sold‌ ‌-‌ ‌4cyl‌ ‌automatic‌ ‌-‌ ‌dog)‌ ‌- screaming yellow.
I should have swapped this engine with the pinto - friend had a v6 capri with 4m - got along ok.

1980?‌ ‌Pontiac‌ ‌Sunbird‌ ‌coupe‌ ‌(engine‌ ‌overhaul‌ ‌-‌ ‌another‌ ‌overheat.‌ ‌paint,‌ ‌sell)‌ ‌-‌ ‌never‌ ‌driven‌ ‌-
mentioned this one before. engine was an aluminum block - could lift it in with a couple people.
Almost dropped this on myself - was under the car, with jackstands on the rear axle.
I removed a brace from the rear to the transmission, and when i let it down, it rotated the rear, and kicked out the jackstands.
The gas tank was leaking, so i had a spackle bucket under it. It landed on the bucket, which held it up.

1974‌ ‌Camaro‌ ‌-‌ ‌Driver‌ ‌should‌ ‌have‌ ‌stopped‌ ‌when‌ ‌the‌ ‌“hot”‌ ‌light‌ ‌came‌ ‌on.‌ ‌Didn’t‌ ‌want‌ ‌to‌ ‌pay‌ ‌
towing‌ ‌bill‌ ‌-‌ ‌I‌ ‌paid‌ ‌the‌ ‌bill,‌ ‌and‌ ‌sold‌ ‌the‌ ‌carcass‌ ‌for‌ ‌parts.‌ ‌I‌ ‌was‌ ‌working‌ ‌the‌ ‌bays‌ ‌in‌ ‌a‌ ‌gas‌ ‌station‌ ‌
at‌ ‌the‌ ‌time‌ ‌-‌ ‌ ‌

1976‌ ‌Pontiac‌ ‌Lemans‌ ‌Sport‌ ‌-‌ ‌Engine/trans‌ ‌from‌ ‌donor,‌ ‌bodywork,‌ ‌paint.‌ ‌Never‌ ‌drove‌ ‌it.‌ ‌Put‌ ‌it‌ ‌
outside‌ ‌with‌ ‌a‌ ‌4‌ ‌sale‌ ‌sign‌ ‌and‌ ‌it‌ ‌was‌ ‌gone‌ ‌in‌ ‌a‌ ‌day.‌ ‌Fantastic‌ ‌red‌ ‌paint‌ ‌with‌ ‌black‌ ‌interior.‌ ‌

1969‌ ‌Lemans‌ ‌parts‌ ‌donor‌ ‌for‌ ‌above,‌ ‌sold‌ ‌a‌ ‌few‌ ‌bits,‌ ‌had‌ ‌the‌ ‌hook‌ ‌come‌ ‌and‌ ‌get‌ ‌it.‌ ‌ ‌
was tempted to try to fix it, they bent the frame going over a curb. nah. this is the one we towed with a rope up rt 80 from fairfield to denville

1955‌ ‌New‌ ‌Yorker‌ ‌-‌ ‌seemed‌ ‌like‌ ‌a‌ ‌good‌ ‌idea‌ ‌for‌ ‌$200,‌ ‌it‌ ‌wasn’t‌ ‌running‌ ‌-‌ ‌330‌ ‌hemi.‌ ‌Changed‌ ‌
mind,‌ ‌sold‌ ‌all‌ ‌the‌ ‌trim‌ ‌pieces,‌ ‌and‌ ‌had‌ ‌the‌ ‌hook‌ ‌take‌ ‌it‌ ‌away.‌ ‌I‌ ‌still‌ ‌have‌ ‌the‌ ‌valve‌ ‌covers.‌ ‌

1976‌ ‌Pontiac‌ ‌Grand‌ ‌Prix‌ ‌-‌ ‌dropped‌ ‌a‌ ‌junkyard‌ ‌engine‌ ‌in,‌ ‌drove‌ ‌for‌ ‌a‌ ‌month,‌ ‌sold‌ ‌-‌ ‌it‌ ‌was‌ ‌big!‌ ‌
1979‌ ‌Plymouth‌ ‌Champ‌ ‌-‌ ‌Dad‌ ‌got‌ ‌it‌ ‌for‌ ‌me‌ ‌so‌ ‌i‌ ‌wouldn’t‌ ‌drive‌ ‌his‌ ‌New‌ ‌Yorker‌ ‌-‌ ‌he‌ ‌used‌ ‌it‌ ‌as‌ ‌a‌ ‌
commuter‌ ‌when‌ ‌i‌ ‌was‌ ‌in‌ ‌college.‌ ‌

1980‌ ‌Dodge‌ ‌Omni‌ ‌-‌ ‌Dad‌ ‌managed‌ ‌to‌ ‌stick‌ ‌the‌ ‌nose‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌champ‌ ‌a‌ ‌little‌ ‌too‌ ‌far‌ ‌out‌ ‌into‌ ‌an‌ ‌
intersection.‌ ‌I‌ ‌always‌ ‌wonder‌ ‌if‌ ‌the‌ ‌person‌ ‌should‌ ‌have‌ ‌steered‌ ‌or‌ ‌hit‌ ‌the‌ ‌brake‌ ‌rather‌ ‌than‌ ‌the‌ ‌
horn…..
‌ ‌
1968‌ ‌Plymouth‌ ‌Barracuda‌ ‌Convertible‌ ‌-‌ ‌slant‌ ‌6‌ ‌&‌ ‌looked‌ ‌great‌ ‌from‌ ‌20’‌ ‌away.‌ Got it from a fraternity brother,
wasn't running. Don't remember what it was, but didn't cost much. Drove it for a summer. ‌Sold‌ ‌it‌ ‌to‌ ‌my‌ ‌
brother‌ ‌as‌ ‌his‌ ‌first‌ ‌car‌ ‌-‌ ‌how‌ ‌cool‌ ‌was‌ ‌he pulling‌ ‌into‌ ‌hs‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌80s‌ ‌with‌ ‌a‌ ‌convertible‌ ‌“muscle”‌ ‌car.‌ ‌
Of‌ ‌course‌ ‌he‌ ‌let‌ ‌someone‌ ‌sit‌ ‌on‌ ‌the‌ ‌boot,‌ ‌and‌ ‌it‌ ‌exploded‌ ‌the‌ ‌glass‌ ‌rear‌ ‌window.‌ ‌He‌ ‌got‌ ‌a‌ ‌new‌ ‌
top‌ ‌for‌ ‌HS‌ ‌graduation.
‌ ‌ ‌
1985‌ ‌Pontiac‌ ‌Fiero‌ ‌GT‌ ‌-‌ ‌My‌ ‌last‌ ‌two‌ ‌years‌ ‌of‌ ‌college,‌ ‌I‌ ‌received‌ ‌tuition‌ ‌reimbursement‌ ‌from‌ ‌my‌ ‌
employer.‌ ‌Dad‌ ‌went‌ ‌out‌ ‌and‌ ‌traded‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌Omni‌ ‌and‌ ‌got‌ ‌this.‌ ‌He‌ ‌got‌ ‌bored,‌ ‌and‌ ‌I‌ ‌purchased‌ ‌it‌ ‌
from‌ ‌him‌ ‌when‌ ‌I‌ ‌graduated.‌ ‌ ‌

---life‌ ‌event---get‌ ‌married‌ ‌1990

1990‌ ‌Chevy‌ ‌Blazer‌ ‌4dr‌ ‌-‌ ‌first‌ ‌year‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌4dr‌ ‌-‌ ‌my‌ ‌first‌ ‌new‌ ‌car‌ ‌-‌ ‌traded‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌fiero‌ ‌-‌ ‌blew‌ ‌the‌ ‌
engine‌ ‌(1999) towing‌ ‌a‌ ‌boat‌ ‌on‌ ‌rt‌ ‌81‌ ‌north‌ ‌of‌ ‌‘cuse‌ ‌-‌ ‌i‌ ‌knew‌ ‌it‌ ‌needed‌ ‌an‌ ‌oil‌ ‌pump‌ ‌at‌ ‌180k‌ ‌miles,‌ ‌guess‌ ‌
i‌ ‌should‌ ‌have‌ ‌done‌ ‌that‌ ‌before‌ ‌pulling‌ ‌a‌ ‌boat‌ ‌through‌ ‌the‌ ‌southern‌ ‌tier‌ ‌and‌ ‌up‌ ‌-‌ ‌at‌ ‌least‌ ‌it‌ ‌was‌ ‌on‌ ‌
the‌ ‌way‌ ‌back.‌ ‌Towed‌ ‌it‌ ‌home‌ ‌with‌ ‌a‌ ‌uhaul,‌ ‌put‌ ‌a‌ ‌long‌ ‌block‌ ‌in‌ ‌from‌ ‌autozone‌ ‌(or‌ ‌whatever‌ ‌the‌ ‌
store‌ ‌was‌ ‌then),‌ ‌sold‌ ‌on‌ ‌ebay!‌ ‌
1610716745317.png

1993‌ ‌Geo‌ ‌Metro‌ ‌‘vert‌ ‌-‌ ‌Wife’s‌ ‌commuter,‌ ‌so‌ ‌i‌ ‌guess‌ ‌it‌ ‌is‌ ‌hers.‌ ‌No‌ ‌frills,‌ ‌i‌ ‌think‌ ‌we‌ ‌paid‌ ‌$6k‌ ‌new,‌ ‌
put‌ ‌10‌ ‌miles‌ ‌on‌ ‌it‌ ‌this‌ ‌summer‌ ‌-‌ ‌probably‌ ‌5,000‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌last‌ ‌17‌ ‌years‌ ‌-‌ ‌since‌ ‌we‌ ‌got‌ ‌the‌ ‌baby‌ ‌
mover.‌ ‌
IMG_3519.JPG
1999 ‌GMC‌ ‌SIerra‌ ‌SLT‌ ‌ext‌ ‌cab‌ ‌stepside‌ ‌(is‌ ‌that‌ ‌what‌ ‌gmc‌ ‌calls‌ ‌it?)‌ ‌-‌ ‌1999‌ ‌mid‌ ‌year‌ ‌
style‌ ‌change‌ ‌to‌ ‌2000?. This replaced the blazer. ‌ @gstim’s‌ ‌now‌ ‌- I need to find a pic with the chrome side steps.
IMG_3106.JPG

---life event - have a kid 2003

2003 GMC Envoy - baby mover turned into work truck. Traded in for new Sierra - GM was running some sort of special bonus for turning in a GM car.

2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL - Land Yacht! Traded in for wife's new ride.
1604329912884.png

2018 GMC Sierra SLT 4dr short box- current. Nice truck.
IMG_8027.jpg

Last edited:

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I have virtually no pictures of anything in my life prior to meeting my wife (who takes pictures of everything), so I don't have any pics of these, but through the years, I've had:

1984 Chevette- chocolate brown. It was my father's but then he bought a Renault Alliance and kept the 'vette for my sister. When she went to college, he reluctantly let me drive it when I threatened to stop paying my HS tuition and buy a car. By the time my sister came home from college the next summer, there was a constant rattle in the rear wheels because my idiot friends and I used to use the hubcaps as bottle openers and sometimes the caps fell inside.

1981 Aries K - faded canary yellow, so my friends started calling it "the Duck". The first car I ever bought myself. Got it after my first year of college. Paid $300 cash for it. It had 110K miles, and almost everything other than the engine didn't work. If two people sat in the back at once, the right rear wheel would rub the wheel well. You could only enter from the driver side, and the fabric on the ceiling hung down like a tent. The radio was ancient but worked - at least the dial moved halfway across the display. But the engine was incredible - I put over 100K miles on it in under three years. It attended countless music festivals around the country, Mardi Gras in '93, and made it to Spring Break twice. But it was on the way home from Spring Break '94 that its storied life came to and end. My roommate and I were heading north through Richmond, VA when something bounced off a truck ahead of us, got under my car and ripped a hole in my transmission. The engine was still fine, but when the scumbag who towed us in saw we were from NJ, he quoted me a $1500 repair job with all of it up front. Plus he was charging me separate for the estimate. I told him the estimate would be covered by the car itself and that was the end of the Duck.

1987 Ford Tempo - depressing dark gray. Worst car ever made. It tried to kill me a hundred times - it used to rev really high and try to pull me into intersections at stop lights, and if I pressed to hard on the brake to stop it from doing so, it would stall. And one time, I was driving up near Secaucus to pick up my sister from her night job early on a Saturday morning when a guy pulled up next to me and started waving frantically. I rolled down the window and he yells, "You're on fire!" and then drove off very quickly. I pulled over and, sure enough, fire was coming out below the chassis. Alarmed, I quickly discovered it was a combination of overheating from a blown radiator coupled with an oil leak. So I got it home by driving driving five miles at a time before pouring more water into the radiator. It took me two hours to get back to my place in Jersey City from Elizabeth.

1981 Pontiac Phoenix - white with red vinyl interior. Bought this in grad school for $500. It never gave me a huge problem on its own, but I only drove it maybe once a month during the school year. I did have one time where it died on 78 between Easton and Bethlehem, but that was because my school failed to deposit my TA check on schedule and since I was living hand to mouth then, I ran out of gas because I didn't have any money to fill it. (I never had a credit card until I was 25, so at the time it was cash or nothing for me.) I ended up leaving it on the side of 78 and walking the five miles to Bethlehem while tractor trailers blew by me at 90 mph. Good times ...

1997 Acura Integra - hunter green with tan interior. My first new car. It was an excellent car. It got hit by a deer on New Year's Eve in 1999.Got it fixed and had no real issues with it. I kept it for 6 years and still got maximum blue book for it on a trade in even though it had 173K miles. Honestly, I think I only got rid of it because i was bored. It was so reliable and good with everything.

2003 Nissan X-terra - silver. Great car. Not great on gas, and always felt like it could tip over on curves. But I loved it. I drove that thing to races all over the country and camped init several times. It started to give me minor trouble around 2013, so I traded it in, but I probably jumped the gun.

2013 Subaru Impreza Sport - black. I still have this car, but it's secondary. Completely reliable and actually pretty zippy. I ended up buying another car for myself so my wife could use it for commutes. At least that's what I told myself because my next (and current) car is ...

2019 Toyota 4-Runner TRD Pro - this is my dream car. I got it in white, but only because the annual special option was a blue I hated and I learned my lesson about how dirty black cars look. I pulled out all the stops on this one because I couldn't bear doing it without doing it right. Ever since the first year Toyota offered the 4Runner line, I've wanted one. I have the windows tinted as dark as I can legally make them, and it's like being in a cocoon (which is my preferred state.) With almost every car I've ever bought, there is at least a moment of buyer's remorse. But this is the most expensive car I ever bought and I haven't had a moment of regret ever. Everything about this car is awesome.

So that's my full lineup. I have never been much of a car guy, but I do know what I like and I can't imagine ever having another car I'll like as much as my current one.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
It
I need to check my pictures.

‌---Got my permit June 1980
1974‌ ‌Honda‌ ‌CVCC‌ ‌-‌ ‌Got‌ ‌hit‌ ‌while‌ ‌parked‌ ‌- think Dad and I were getting Pizza on main street, boonton.
1972‌ ‌Plymouth‌ ‌Cricket‌ ‌-‌ ‌dropped-in‌ ‌an‌ ‌engine‌ ‌from‌ ‌a‌ ‌totaled‌ ‌donor‌ ‌purchased‌ ‌for‌ ‌$50‌ ‌-‌ ‌total‌ ‌
cost‌ ‌was‌ ‌like‌ ‌$200‌ ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌two‌ ‌junk‌ ‌cars‌ ‌and‌ ‌a‌ ‌new‌ ‌clutch‌ ‌assembly.‌ ‌Spun‌ ‌it‌ ‌on‌ ‌Diamond‌ ‌Spring‌ ‌
Road‌ ‌coming‌ ‌home‌ ‌from‌ ‌school.‌ ‌Didn’t‌ ‌hit‌ ‌anything‌ ‌hard.‌ ‌Learned‌ ‌a‌ ‌valuable‌ ‌lesson‌ ‌that‌ ‌day.‌ ‌

---Got my license Dec 1980
1969‌ ‌Firebird‌ ‌-‌ ‌purchased‌ ‌1981,‌ ‌sold‌ ‌2019.‌ ‌Drove‌ ‌it‌ ‌for‌ ‌2‌ ‌years.‌ ‌
1976‌ ‌Ford‌ ‌Pinto‌ ‌hatchback‌ ‌V6!‌ ‌(replaced‌ ‌engine‌ ‌-‌ ‌owner‌ ‌didn’t‌ ‌know‌ ‌to‌ ‌change‌ ‌oil,‌ ‌drove‌ ‌1‌ ‌
winter,‌ ‌sold‌ ‌to‌ ‌a‌ ‌cousin)‌ ‌- driving this while the nose was off the firebird.

1972‌ ‌Mercury‌ ‌Capri‌ ‌(replaced‌ ‌head‌ ‌gasket,‌ ‌drove‌ ‌1‌ ‌month‌ ‌sold‌ ‌-‌ ‌4cyl‌ ‌automatic‌ ‌-‌ ‌dog)‌ ‌- screaming yellow.
I should have swapped this engine with the pinto - friend had a v6 capri with 4m - got along ok.

1980?‌ ‌Pontiac‌ ‌Sunbird‌ ‌coupe‌ ‌(engine‌ ‌overhaul‌ ‌-‌ ‌another‌ ‌overheat.‌ ‌paint,‌ ‌sell)‌ ‌-‌ ‌never‌ ‌driven‌ ‌-
mentioned this one before. engine was an aluminum block - could lift it in with a couple people.
Almost dropped this on myself - was under the car, with jackstands on the rear axle.
I removed a brace from the rear to the transmission, and when i let it down, it rotated the rear, and kicked out the jackstands.
The gas tank was leaking, so i had a spackle bucket under it. It landed on the bucket, which held it up.

1974‌ ‌Camaro‌ ‌-‌ ‌Driver‌ ‌should‌ ‌have‌ ‌stopped‌ ‌when‌ ‌the‌ ‌“hot”‌ ‌light‌ ‌came‌ ‌on.‌ ‌Didn’t‌ ‌want‌ ‌to‌ ‌pay‌ ‌
towing‌ ‌bill‌ ‌-‌ ‌I‌ ‌paid‌ ‌the‌ ‌bill,‌ ‌and‌ ‌sold‌ ‌the‌ ‌carcass‌ ‌for‌ ‌parts.‌ ‌I‌ ‌was‌ ‌working‌ ‌the‌ ‌bays‌ ‌in‌ ‌a‌ ‌gas‌ ‌station‌ ‌
at‌ ‌the‌ ‌time‌ ‌-‌ ‌ ‌

1976‌ ‌Pontiac‌ ‌Lemans‌ ‌Sport‌ ‌-‌ ‌Engine/trans‌ ‌from‌ ‌donor,‌ ‌bodywork,‌ ‌paint.‌ ‌Never‌ ‌drove‌ ‌it.‌ ‌Put‌ ‌it‌ ‌
outside‌ ‌with‌ ‌a‌ ‌4‌ ‌sale‌ ‌sign‌ ‌and‌ ‌it‌ ‌was‌ ‌gone‌ ‌in‌ ‌a‌ ‌day.‌ ‌Fantastic‌ ‌red‌ ‌paint‌ ‌with‌ ‌black‌ ‌interior.‌ ‌

1969‌ ‌Lemans‌ ‌parts‌ ‌donor‌ ‌for‌ ‌above,‌ ‌sold‌ ‌a‌ ‌few‌ ‌bits,‌ ‌had‌ ‌the‌ ‌hook‌ ‌come‌ ‌and‌ ‌get‌ ‌it.‌ ‌ ‌
was tempted to try to fix it, they bent the frame going over a curb. nah. this is the one we towed with a rope up rt 80 from fairfield to denville

1955‌ ‌New‌ ‌Yorker‌ ‌-‌ ‌seemed‌ ‌like‌ ‌a‌ ‌good‌ ‌idea‌ ‌for‌ ‌$200,‌ ‌it‌ ‌wasn’t‌ ‌running‌ ‌-‌ ‌330‌ ‌hemi.‌ ‌Changed‌ ‌
mind,‌ ‌sold‌ ‌all‌ ‌the‌ ‌trim‌ ‌pieces,‌ ‌and‌ ‌had‌ ‌the‌ ‌hook‌ ‌take‌ ‌it‌ ‌away.‌ ‌I‌ ‌still‌ ‌have‌ ‌the‌ ‌valve‌ ‌covers.‌ ‌

1976‌ ‌Pontiac‌ ‌Grand‌ ‌Prix‌ ‌-‌ ‌dropped‌ ‌a‌ ‌junkyard‌ ‌engine‌ ‌in,‌ ‌drove‌ ‌for‌ ‌a‌ ‌month,‌ ‌sold‌ ‌-‌ ‌it‌ ‌was‌ ‌big!‌ ‌
1979‌ ‌Plymouth‌ ‌Champ‌ ‌-‌ ‌Dad‌ ‌got‌ ‌it‌ ‌for‌ ‌me‌ ‌so‌ ‌i‌ ‌wouldn’t‌ ‌drive‌ ‌his‌ ‌New‌ ‌Yorker‌ ‌-‌ ‌he‌ ‌used‌ ‌it‌ ‌as‌ ‌a‌ ‌
commuter‌ ‌when‌ ‌i‌ ‌was‌ ‌in‌ ‌college.‌ ‌

1980‌ ‌Dodge‌ ‌Omni‌ ‌-‌ ‌Dad‌ ‌managed‌ ‌to‌ ‌stick‌ ‌the‌ ‌nose‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌champ‌ ‌a‌ ‌little‌ ‌too‌ ‌far‌ ‌out‌ ‌into‌ ‌an‌ ‌
intersection.‌ ‌I‌ ‌always‌ ‌wonder‌ ‌if‌ ‌the‌ ‌person‌ ‌should‌ ‌have‌ ‌steered‌ ‌or‌ ‌hit‌ ‌the‌ ‌brake‌ ‌rather‌ ‌than‌ ‌the‌ ‌
horn…..
‌ ‌
1968‌ ‌Plymouth‌ ‌Barracuda‌ ‌Convertible‌ ‌-‌ ‌slant‌ ‌6‌ ‌&‌ ‌looked‌ ‌great‌ ‌from‌ ‌20’‌ ‌away.‌ Got it from a fraternity brother,
wasn't running. Don't remember what it was, but didn't cost much. Drove it for a summer. ‌Sold‌ ‌it‌ ‌to‌ ‌my‌ ‌
brother‌ ‌as‌ ‌his‌ ‌first‌ ‌car‌ ‌-‌ ‌how‌ ‌cool‌ ‌was‌ ‌he pulling‌ ‌into‌ ‌hs‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌80s‌ ‌with‌ ‌a‌ ‌convertible‌ ‌“muscle”‌ ‌car.‌ ‌
Of‌ ‌course‌ ‌he‌ ‌let‌ ‌someone‌ ‌sit‌ ‌on‌ ‌the‌ ‌boot,‌ ‌and‌ ‌it‌ ‌exploded‌ ‌the‌ ‌glass‌ ‌rear‌ ‌window.‌ ‌He‌ ‌got‌ ‌a‌ ‌new‌ ‌
top‌ ‌for‌ ‌HS‌ ‌graduation.
‌ ‌ ‌
1985‌ ‌Pontiac‌ ‌Fiero‌ ‌GT‌ ‌-‌ ‌My‌ ‌last‌ ‌two‌ ‌years‌ ‌of‌ ‌college,‌ ‌I‌ ‌received‌ ‌tuition‌ ‌reimbursement‌ ‌from‌ ‌my‌ ‌
employer.‌ ‌Dad‌ ‌went‌ ‌out‌ ‌and‌ ‌traded‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌Omni‌ ‌and‌ ‌got‌ ‌this.‌ ‌He‌ ‌got‌ ‌bored,‌ ‌and‌ ‌I‌ ‌purchased‌ ‌it‌ ‌
from‌ ‌him‌ ‌when‌ ‌I‌ ‌graduated.‌ ‌ ‌

---life‌ ‌event---get‌ ‌married‌ ‌1990

1990‌ ‌Chevy‌ ‌Blazer‌ ‌4dr‌ ‌-‌ ‌first‌ ‌year‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌4dr‌ ‌-‌ ‌my‌ ‌first‌ ‌new‌ ‌car‌ ‌-‌ ‌traded‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌fiero‌ ‌-‌ ‌blew‌ ‌the‌ ‌
engine‌ ‌(1999) towing‌ ‌a‌ ‌boat‌ ‌on‌ ‌rt‌ ‌81‌ ‌north‌ ‌of‌ ‌‘cuse‌ ‌-‌ ‌i‌ ‌knew‌ ‌it‌ ‌needed‌ ‌an‌ ‌oil‌ ‌pump‌ ‌at‌ ‌180k‌ ‌miles,‌ ‌guess‌ ‌
i‌ ‌should‌ ‌have‌ ‌done‌ ‌that‌ ‌before‌ ‌pulling‌ ‌a‌ ‌boat‌ ‌through‌ ‌the‌ ‌southern‌ ‌tier‌ ‌and‌ ‌up‌ ‌-‌ ‌at‌ ‌least‌ ‌it‌ ‌was‌ ‌on‌ ‌
the‌ ‌way‌ ‌back.‌ ‌Towed‌ ‌it‌ ‌home‌ ‌with‌ ‌a‌ ‌uhaul,‌ ‌put‌ ‌a‌ ‌long‌ ‌block‌ ‌in‌ ‌from‌ ‌autozone‌ ‌(or‌ ‌whatever‌ ‌the‌ ‌
store‌ ‌was‌ ‌then),‌ ‌sold‌ ‌on‌ ‌ebay!‌ ‌

1993‌ ‌Geo‌ ‌Metro‌ ‌‘vert‌ ‌-‌ ‌Wife’s‌ ‌commuter,‌ ‌so‌ ‌i‌ ‌guess‌ ‌it‌ ‌is‌ ‌hers.‌ ‌No‌ ‌frills,‌ ‌i‌ ‌think‌ ‌we‌ ‌paid‌ ‌$6k‌ ‌new,‌ ‌
put‌ ‌10‌ ‌miles‌ ‌on‌ ‌it‌ ‌this‌ ‌summer‌ ‌-‌ ‌probably‌ ‌5,000‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌last‌ ‌17‌ ‌years‌ ‌-‌ ‌since‌ ‌we‌ ‌got‌ ‌the‌ ‌baby‌ ‌
mover.‌ ‌
2000‌ ‌GMC‌ ‌SIerra‌ ‌SLT‌ ‌ext‌ ‌cab‌ ‌stepside‌ ‌(is‌ ‌that‌ ‌what‌ ‌gmc‌ ‌calls‌ ‌it?)‌ ‌-‌ ‌or‌ ‌was‌ ‌it‌ ‌1999‌ ‌mid‌ ‌year‌ ‌
style‌ ‌change‌ ‌to‌ ‌2000?‌ This replaced the blazer. ‌ @gstim’s‌ ‌now‌ ‌

---life event - have a kid 2003

2003 GMC Envoy SLT - baby mover turned into work truck. Traded in for below - GM was running some sort of special bonus for turning in a GM car.
2018 GMC Sierra SLT 4dr short box- current. Nice truck.
It's a '99. I'm going to get it to 300K miles. It's at 286K now. 😁

Last edited by a moderator:

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I have virtually no pictures of anything in my life prior to meeting my wife (who takes pictures of everything), so I don't have any pics of these, but through the years, I've had:

1984 Chevette- chocolate brown. It was my father's but then he bought a Renault Alliance and kept the 'vette for my sister. When she went to college, he reluctantly let me drive it when I threatened to stop paying my HS tuition and buy a car. By the time my sister came home from college the next summer, there was a constant rattle in the rear wheels because my idiot friends and I used to use the hubcaps as bottle openers and sometimes the caps fell inside.

1981 Aries K - faded canary yellow, so my friends started calling it "the Duck". The first car I ever bought myself. Got it after my first year of college. Paid $300 cash for it. It had 110K miles, and almost everything other than the engine didn't work. If two people sat in the back at once, the right rear wheel would rub the wheel well. You could only enter from the driver side, and the fabric on the ceiling hung down like a tent. The radio was ancient but worked - at least the dial moved halfway across the display. But the engine was incredible - I put over 100K miles on it in under three years. It attended countless music festivals around the country, Mardi Gras in '93, and made it to Spring Break twice. But it was on the way home from Spring Break '94 that its storied life came to and end. My roommate and I were heading north through Richmond, VA when something bounced off a truck ahead of us, got under my car and ripped a hole in my transmission. The engine was still fine, but when the scumbag who towed us in saw we were from NJ, he quoted me a $1500 repair job with all of it up front. Plus he was charging me separate for the estimate. I told him the estimate would be covered by the car itself and that was the end of the Duck.

1987 Ford Tempo - depressing dark gray. Worst car ever made. It tried to kill me a hundred times - it used to rev really high and try to pull me into intersections at stop lights, and if I pressed to hard on the brake to stop it from doing so, it would stall. And one time, I was driving up near Secaucus to pick up my sister from her night job early on a Saturday morning when a guy pulled up next to me and started waving frantically. I rolled down the window and he yells, "You're on fire!" and then drove off very quickly. I pulled over and, sure enough, fire was coming out below the chassis. Alarmed, I quickly discovered it was a combination of overheating from a blown radiator coupled with an oil leak. So I got it home by driving driving five miles at a time before pouring more water into the radiator. It took me two hours to get back to my place in Jersey City from Elizabeth.

1981 Pontiac Phoenix - white with red vinyl interior. Bought this in grad school for $500. It never gave me a huge problem on its own, but I only drove it maybe once a month during the school year. I did have one time where it died on 78 between Easton and Bethlehem, but that was because my school failed to deposit my TA check on schedule and since I was living hand to mouth then, I ran out of gas because I didn't have any money to fill it. (I never had a credit card until I was 25, so at the time it was cash or nothing for me.) I ended up leaving it on the side of 78 and walking the five miles to Bethlehem while tractor trailers blew by me at 90 mph. Good times ...

1997 Acura Integra - hunter green with tan interior. My first new car. It was an excellent car. It got hit by a deer on New Year's Eve in 1999.Got it fixed and had no real issues with it. I kept it for 6 years and still got maximum blue book for it on a trade in even though it had 173K miles. Honestly, I think I only got rid of it because i was bored. It was so reliable and good with everything.

2003 Nissan X-terra - silver. Great car. Not great on gas, and always felt like it could tip over on curves. But I loved it. I drove that thing to races all over the country and camped init several times. It started to give me minor trouble around 2013, so I traded it in, but I probably jumped the gun.

2013 Subaru Impreza Sport - black. I still have this car, but it's secondary. Completely reliable and actually pretty zippy. I ended up buying another car for myself so my wife could use it for commutes. At least that's what I told myself because my next (and current) car is ...

2019 Toyota 4-Runner TRD Pro - this is my dream car. I got it in white, but only because the annual special option was a blue I hated and I learned my lesson about how dirty black cars look. I pulled out all the stops on this one because I couldn't bear doing it without doing it right. Ever since the first year Toyota offered the 4Runner line, I've wanted one. I have the windows tinted as dark as I can legally make them, and it's like being in a cocoon (which is my preferred state.) With almost every car I've ever bought, there is at least a moment of buyer's remorse. But this is the most expensive car I ever bought and I haven't had a moment of regret ever. Everything about this car is awesome.

So that's my full lineup. I have never been much of a car guy, but I do know what I like and I can't imagine ever having another car I'll like as much as my current one.
Impressive, I think that you may have owned a majority of the worst cars ever mass produced! 😂

68nova200

I got my first car before I had my license. A 1968 Nova, bought in 2005 (still own it too) with 46k original miles. It isn't anything special, 4 door with a 307. It is one of the rarest colors though Ash Gold. I drove that daily for a few months but then wanted something different. I have only put 3500 miles on it since I bought it.

I was then gifted a 1989 Blue Ford Probe with a manual trans. It was a really fun car to drive. I owned it for 47 days, then when turning into my parents street the second gear support shaft snapped and turned the trans into gravel. the trans shop said it would be 1500 to replace it, I took it to the scrap yard and got 1k for it.

My third car was a 1986 Chrysler fifth ave. Basically a rolling couch... It had the 318 with the throttle body fuel injection. I owned that for 6 months half of which was spent in the shop trying to diagnose a stalling issue. I spent so much money on that trying to get it running right with no success I sold it for 750 bucks... My later research showed me that the timing chain had probably stretched and would randomly jump timing. I was way less mechanically inclined back then. But if I owned it now I would have swapped it for a turbo LS and made a sleeper.

After that I was tired of used cars so I bought a brand new 2007 Chevy Cobalt. For those keeping track... I drove 3 different cars to school in my senior year. I still daily this car and it has never treated me poorly. Still original clutch with 135k on it, although it slips randomly every few years. I have done tons of suspension mods on it trying to find the best handling setup. I think it turned out great, Its not fast but being able to pull away from other much fast cars in the corners is hilarious. I'm going to run this car until I get bored or it burns down. Its one of the last years for zero electronic nannies (it doesn't even have abs) which makes it really fun to drive.

Fast forward to 2015 when I bought a 1996 F250 7.3 powerstroke, I got a smoking deal on it... 2K cash. it took a few months before I found out why it was so cheap. It was a plow truck for the City of Philadelphia, so the trans was toast. 4K later and It runs great. I have plans to make it into the ultimate tow rig which leads me to the next vehicle I purchased.

Its a 1995 Rust free long wheelbase F350 with a 5.8 gas engine. I'm going to swap the diesel powertrain into this truck. It will have an 11 foot flatbed on it too.

The most recent purchase I made was a 2003 E450 short bus. Rust free (shocking for an NJ school bus) I picked it up for 800 bucks because it was not running, It needed an ECM and injectors. Which is not cheap In the diesel world... 1650 for rebuilt injectors. I also had to rebuild the turbo and build a custom intake to replace the destroyed factory unit. I converted it to a bunk room that converts to couches for driving. I use it to drive up to my fish camp in NYS. It makes a great option for destination bike rides too.

ekuhn

I have to dig up some photos....

First ride I had a 1990 Acura Integra RS. Stock 5 Speed. Added a system (subsequently stolen), crashed the front end, did a rebuild. Sold.

Second was a 99 Chevy S10 4.3 V6 Ext Cab. Lowered 2"/3" Added valance and roll pan with shaved tailgate when I got rearended. Sold.

Bought a 99 CBR600F4. Rode that everywhere. Sold.

Owned a 94 Honda Accord 5 speed after that to zip around in. Sold when I got a company vehicle.

Bought a 05 RC51 which I still have today, but don't ride nearly as much as I should.

Bought a 2000 M5 for something other than a truck and cruise around in. Sold.

Got a company vehicle so its been varying F150's and Toyota Tundra's

Zaskar

1980 used VW Rabbit - fun first car. Was drifting that thing before drifting was cool - sold
198? used Honda CRX - the hood blew off while driving...watched it land on the side of the highway and kept going - junked
1988 used VW Fox Wolfsburg - loved that car. Planned to keep it forever but a deer had a different plan - totaled
1992 new VW GTI - another fun car minus the constant squealing fan belts. Beat the heck out it for 8 years - sold
2000 new Subaru Outback - drove for 11 years - sold
2008 used Ford Taurus X - bought in 2011 and still driving. nothing exciting but it's been a great vehicle.
2018 or 19 pending purchase- VW Tiguan - been looking but waiting for a deal before winter tho.

don

Fast forward to 2015 when I bought a 1996 F250 7.3 powerstroke, I got a smoking deal on it... 2K cash. it took a few months before I found out why it was so cheap. It was a plow truck for the City of Philadelphia, so the trans was toast. 4K later and It runs great. I have plans to make it into the ultimate tow rig which leads me to the next vehicle I purchased.

Its a 1995 Rust free long wheelbase F350 with a 5.8 gas engine. I'm going to swap the diesel powertrain into this truck. It will have an 11 foot flatbed on it too.

The most recent purchase I made was a 2003 E450 short bus. Rust free (shocking for an NJ school bus) I picked it up for 800 bucks because it was not running, It needed an ECM and injectors. Which is not cheap In the diesel world... 1650 for rebuilt injectors. I also had to rebuild the turbo and build a custom intake to replace the destroyed factory unit. I converted it to a bunk room that converts to couches for driving. I use it to drive up to my fish camp in NYS. It makes a great option for destination bike rides too.
Is the 2003 E450 a 7.3? I know the F250/350 changed to 6.0 mid year.

Like the sound of the OBS PSD's project 👍

w_b

I love cars. I get way too attached to my vehicles. I’ll play.

68 Camaro - bought rolling chassis at age 15 and took over Mom & Dad’s garage for awhile til I built up a small block and got it running, and my license. Switched to a six pin while commuting to college. Sold. Never lived up to its potential.

77 Rabbit - my Dad bought this new and I got it from him. Learned to drive in this car, and my Mom’s 72 Dart. The Rabbit still ran on leaded gas, no cat yet. Ran well till I slid out on a wet road and crumpled the front left. Done.

Couple unremarkable beater bikes for awhile. Didn’t die, but almost. Sold.

76 Corolla - bomber bought from a friend. 1.2L with a 4spd. Commuted to Newark for awhile. Sold.

76 Cutlass - see 76 Corolla but with a 350 auto. Put a tranny in it and sold it before the rear bumper fell off.

72 Nova - Six pin 3 on the tree. Drove this guy for 13 years. Dunkin jet skis in saltwater the whole time. Predictable results. Sold.

87 Tbird - Comfy car. Bought it with hi mileage and a blown head gasket. V6. Put in a Jasper. Sold.

91 S-10 Blazer - bought this one twice. Once for my ex- who was my wife at the time, then again after the divorce. First 4WD; good little truck for the most part. Also dunkin jet skis the whole time. Sold.

01 4Runner - did not think any vehicle could beat the Nova for best vehicle, this little Toyota did. Drove for 15 years, mostly reliably, until the frame rotted out. No jet skis were dunked. Sold.

19 F150 - my first new vehicle. Coyote, baby. So far, so good. Couple stupid what I would consider “American car problems” that shouldn’t be but are, nothing major. 400 hp; tows the boat like it’s not even back there. 10k miles in the first year even with a pandemic thrown in. We’ll see how it all works out down the road.

Last edited:

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Part 1 is here:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/bring-a-trailer-omfg-or-on-topic.50785/post-1025589

Part 2:

This should have been after the Chevelle and before the GLH Turbo:

1976 Celica GT - 4spd: Like this but nowhere as nice.

Celica.jpg

https://bringatrailer.com/2015/09/02/excellent-big-bumper-1976-toyota-celica-gt-liftback/

I had the Chevelle, but at ~6MPG, the gas was killing me to go to jobs when I was in school. Somebody my Dad knew had this but it wasn't running, so said we could pick it up for free. We planned on flat towing this with a strap (like @Patrick said, common at the time :eek:), but we brought a battery and some starting fluid. It cranked over but wouldn't start. My dad noticed that when we cranked it, nothing was coming out the exhaust. We concluded that something was blocking the pipe somewhere. I crawled underneath and hacksawed the pipe right after the manifold. A mouse had completely blocked it. Started right up and I drove it home, the guy was shocked. I bought a Cherry Bomb glass pack and used some flex pipe to run it out in front of the rear tire, loud as hell. I drove this for about a year, then the clutch started to go, sold it for $50.

Last edited:

68nova200

Is the 2003 E450 a 7.3? I know the F250/350 changed to 6.0 mid year.

Like the sound of the OBS PSD's project 👍
yes it is a 7.3... the vans carried the 7.3 longer than the truck bodies. It is fun. Gets 11 mpg fully loaded or empty.

Kaleidopete

OK, one more. 1956 Volkswagen.
In 1968 I had a 1967 Volvo that I bought new. Now the opportunity came that I could buy a house.
I had to sell the Volvo to get the deposit for the house. So I needed a car. I worked at VW at the time,
and a fellow worker had this 1956 VW for sale $100. I paid him and got title. Two days later a movie
company came into work looking for cars for their movie. They liked my 1956, and offered me $100
to take it for three days for their movie! Ha! what a deal! It was a real junker, but I could work on them
so for me it was a homerun!. I kept that car for five years and sold it for $300.
VW 1956_1.jpg

don

yes it is a 7.3... the vans carried the 7.3 longer than the truck bodies. It is fun. Gets 11 mpg fully loaded or empty.

Nice. I liked the 7.3 in a F250 we had. The transmission not so much (had to replace it). The 7.3 doesn't make huge power but still ran pretty good with 250k on it.

Roadie

This one comes to mind, 1963, the hot cars of the time were Ford and Chevy.
So what's my old man buy, an XKE Jag. Ha, I used to pick up my girlfriend after school in it.
I was already out of school and just a bum, but it was kinda funny to see the other kids
reactions to this car.
View attachment 142563
My dad had one in black back in the day. He and my grandfather worked together and after he first got the car my grandfather borrowed it for the commute up the parkway/turnpike. The next day my dad gets pulled over by a statey while doing the speed limit. When the cop gets up to the window, he looked at my Dad and let him go saying “I am looking not looking for you. I am looking for an old bastard”. Years later my grandfather would still talk about how fast that car was and I still give my dad grief for selling it.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Part 1 is here:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/bring-a-trailer-omfg-or-on-topic.50785/post-1025589

Part 2:

This should have been after the Chevelle and before the GLH Turbo:

1976 Celica GT - 4spd: Like this but nowhere as nice.

View attachment 142636

https://bringatrailer.com/2015/09/02/excellent-big-bumper-1976-toyota-celica-gt-liftback/

I had the Chevelle, but at ~6MPG, the gas was killing me to go to jobs when I was in school. Somebody my Dad knew had this but it wasn't running, so said we could pick it up for free. We planned on flat towing this with a strap (like @Patrick said, common at the time :eek:), but we brought a battery and some starting fluid. It cranked over but wouldn't start. My dad noticed that when we cranked it, nothing was coming out the exhaust. We concluded that something was blocking the pipe somewhere. I crawled underneath and hacksawed the pipe right after the manifold. A mouse had completely blocked it. Started right up and I drove it home, the guy was shocked. I bought a Cherry Bomb glass pack and used some flex pipe to run it out in front of the rear tire, loud as hell. I drove this for about a year, then the clutch started to go, sold it for $50.
Part 3 - The Pickup/Vette Era:

Bonus, some real pictures!

1991 GMC Z71
I was out of school and had a real job for a few years and had been driving the GLH, so I thought it would be cool to have a truck. Bought this a few years old.

IMG_20201102_163548302~2.jpg

At the same time I was single and flush with cash. I had always wanted a Vette so started looking. I really wanted a '65-'67 big block, but way outside my price range even then. Decided to get the '70 that I just sold. Did some work to it, but mainly just drove it for fun. Had it for ~28 years. A picture (Polaroid!) of the day I bought it:

IMG_20201102_165850233.jpg

1992 GMC Syclone

Decided to sell the 1500 and get this. This truck was a blast, quick as hell. Also small as hell! Not the new style extended cab there was almost no room for anything except in the bed. Stolen from outside a club by work, never found.

Not an actual pic.
1597584513208495d56IMG_7245-scaled-e1600872544481.jpg

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-gmc-syclone-27/

After it was stolen bought a 1990 GMC Stepside 4X4 while looking for something else.

Not actual Pic but like this:

1301170doEOT_640480.jpg

Then found another Syclone looked exactly the same. Stolen from the parking lot at work, never found. :mad:

Some actual bonus photos:

My '70 SS396. My friend, not me in the pic.

IMG_20201102_163353242.jpg

My wife's (girlfriend at the time) '73 Duster that she bought from my neighbor after her Monte Carlo was totaled.
Me in the pic.
IMG_20201102_163632222~2.jpg

Next the Modern (semi) era. :p

Last edited:

bergsnj

first car was a 1990 Mustang LX. I had this for a few months in 1995 before getting my next mustang
90 lx 5.jpg
2nd car was a 1988 Mustang LX. Had this car from 1995-2003
88 lx 1.jpg
2002 Mustang. I've had this from 2003 to present day. It is pretty much full bolt on. Has full exhaust and a procharger supercharger, full suspension, lots of other stuff
fall.JPG
OLD video of the car:

Daily drove this 1996 Land Rover Discovery from 2004-2007ish
P1180034.JPG

1996 Bronco. Daily driver from 2007-2014.
IMG_1162.JPG
current daily: 2015 F150 lariat crew cab / long bed. Has the coyote 5.0 and obnoxious flowmaster dual exhaust. I love it
IMG_0926.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom