dj spots

I personally think that building jumps, and I guess any track building, is one of the most enjoyable parts of riding. That feeling of satisfaction after building something functional from the ground to completion is wonderful!

I'm with you there. I still get excited when riding certain sections of trail I designed years ago. When you find that perfect line, then build it, then ride it, there's nothing like it.

allan and k's spot(don't know gane or tj, been out of the scene for quite a while), jennings', your's and what were formerly referred to as the wit's end trails(fth, barry's) were all in mags. the fact that i didn't even know faction was defunct shows pretty well how long it's been....

yeah, I think over the last few years trails have gotten quieter for a couple reasons - worried about stuff getting too big and well known and then plowed. I know we thought about a few things after BK got plowed - lower profile spot and keeping it mellow as in no jams or inviting a bunch of people to ride.

And I really think kids on bmx bikes just aren't into riding (forget about even digging) trails as much these days. There are good parks all over and street seems to have gone from burly to tech where dudes can do about 20 tricks on a simple curb now. Yes, there are more mtb guys riding dirt than BITD but it seems like they are an older crowd that while very dedicated are tapped for available time to dig.

Back when you were in the scene (I'm guessing late 90's?) was such a great time. You'd see a lot of trails in the vids and mags and it just seemed like fun. I still love building and riding today but I'll always think back on how rad it was during those years.

k_unlookdown_bridge.jpg

Kzar - some years ago, photo Dolecki

kzar_inside_table_boxes_radiation.jpg

Kzar - last fall, photo Butters

I'm sure you remember Tex...same trick probably 8 years apart...
tex_turndown_hip_bridge.jpg

tex_turndown_radiation.jpg

Last edited:
ha! yeah i remember tex. late 90's early 00's. never had a camera with me at the trails for some reason, but have assloads of street and park photos on my old computer.

ahhh, the good old days. while I have been out of the jumping scene for only 3 years, still some of the best feeling riding ever....

BK trails! I remember finding those back in the day and trying to figure out how you can jump something like that. Now that I have the skills it's gone and I'm old.

I like jumping at Diablo with the DH bike. More room for error, miss the transition - who cares I got lots of travel to make up for my stupidness. :)

FTH is retarded these days. Just lines and options everywhere. I've followed the elusive "Barry" from spot to spot and in 10 years i have yet to meet him. He is an artist! I may soon get out the shovel and ressurect the backyard if all this talk keeps up.....

I personally think that building jumps, and I guess any track building, is one of the most enjoyable parts of riding. That feeling of satisfaction after building something functional from the ground to completion is wonderful!

amen, brutha.

I haven't much experience digging dirt jumps and such, but I hope to be getting some experience in that area soon. :hmmm:

I don't think doubles are possible in the context of legal sanctioned areas in NJ's parks (I can just see a land manager poo-ing him/herself at the sight of stowe mbp's doubles ;) ) but I think pump track and table tops are highly possible in 2008. (Maybe some dimensional lumber or timber-based challenge features as well). There are 2-3 spots we're investigating now and all look promising, one especially so. When and if the time comes, I know I can count on a bunch of you experienced chaps to help us out and get things right. :)

edit: sounds like secret DJs, surf spots, and east coast powder stashes are the 3 most highly guarded secrets in the universe. ;)

Last edited:
amen, brutha.

I haven't much experience digging dirt jumps and such, but I hope to be getting some experience in that area soon. :hmmm:

I don't think doubles are possible in the context of legal sanctioned areas in NJ's parks (I can just see a land manager poo-ing him/herself at the sight of stowe mbp's doubles ;) ) but I think pump track and table tops are highly possible in 2008. (Maybe some dimensional lumber or timber-based challenge features as well). There are 2-3 spots we're investigating now and all look promising, one especially so. When and if the time comes, I know I can count on a bunch of you experienced chaps to help us out and get things right. :)

edit: sounds like secret DJs, surf spots, and east coast powder stashes are the 3 most highly guarded secrets in the universe. ;)

Mergs - that sounds great and definintely put me on the "help" list if it's not there already. Funny - the Stowe Park is actually pretty tame in the double department (they fill in a lot in between sets) compared to typcially "trails". Land managers would freak if they saw some of the stuff kids jump.

I'm not sure if you heard about Cunnigham Park in Queens/NYC but they've been adding some very nice features: http://www.singletracks.com/trails/photos.php?id=2099&photo=6997

Attached are some pics that I found recently - a tabletop line and a cool log ride . Would tables like these be fine enough for the land managers?

I've also been thinking of a way to make DJ's safer but still fun for applications like parks and towns - along the lines of a snowboard/ski table. A lip in the middle but a wide nice landing. The lip would be the hard part to figure out. I might try to draw something in 2-D CAD to see if my design would work at least visually.

Attachments

• trailwork27_sized.jpg
    trailwork27_sized.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 174
  • trailwork60_sized.jpg
    trailwork60_sized.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 167
Found some more pics...

Attachments

• Cunny8_sized.jpg
    Cunny8_sized.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Cunny13_sized.jpg
    Cunny13_sized.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 190
  • trailwork41_sized.jpg
    trailwork41_sized.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 180
Boy oh boy do those make my mouth water! Haven't participated in a nicely built track like that in yearsssss. Probably not since the 'pits' in east stroudsburg were a big spot.

Mergs - that sounds great and definintely put me on the "help" list if it's not there already. Funny - the Stowe Park is actually pretty tame in the double department (they fill in a lot in between sets) compared to typcially "trails". Land managers would freak if they saw some of the stuff kids jump.

I'm not sure if you heard about Cunnigham Park in Queens/NYC but they've been adding some very nice features: http://www.singletracks.com/trails/photos.php?id=2099&photo=6997

Attached are some pics that I found recently - a tabletop line and a cool log ride . Would tables like these be fine enough for the land managers?

I've also been thinking of a way to make DJ's safer but still fun for applications like parks and towns - along the lines of a snowboard/ski table. A lip in the middle but a wide nice landing. The lip would be the hard part to figure out. I might try to draw something in 2-D CAD to see if my design would work at least visually.

Don, great shots. Yes, I think so. These tables, and even the log ride are along the same lines as what we are thinking. We'll most likely attempt beginner, intermediate and expert lines ("expert" being relative of course) but this is really the type of thing we we want to have going on at the skills area. Basically, we have to manage risk and land manager sensibilities and their willingness to expose themselves to perceived risk... so even though 40 foot gaps are attempted only by guys who tend to make the gap (thus actually low risk), a land manager will shyte themselves on anything like that (thus a high perceived risk). Anyway, I think you know what I mean...

If you have further design ideas, don't hesitate to share them. I like what I see already! :)

Last edited:
Boy oh boy do those make my mouth water! Haven't participated in a nicely built track like that in yearsssss. Probably not since the 'pits' in east stroudsburg were a big spot.

glen park?

Back
Top Bottom