DIY wheel building

I suppose not, but lasers cut short on the butt (which they will do) are pretty damn light.

Plus, 1.8mm elbows in 2.5/6 some holes pretty much necessitates spoke washers... Negating the already minimal weight savings. You pretty much need hubs drilled for 1.8mm spokes.

shit does this mean my wheel is gonna implode

Maybe?

Spokes that can move significantly in the spoke holes is not good, but with modern metallurgy being what it is, and spokes being consistently good within a batch, you may never have a problem. The issue that may arise is the bend in the spoke–which is already a weak point–can now move quite a bit more, leading to earlier failure.

That's one of the reasons that DT/SAPIM make triple/double butted spokes with a larger 2.3mm bend–it fills more of the spoke hole, creating a more stable interface. Spoke washers can help, but they are really meant for taking up space on thin (steel) hub flanges, to better support the bend in modern spokes.

spoke washers are also needed in most cases when relacing old hub with new spokes. I've seen hub flanges crack as a result

not to hijack the thread. I'm using online calculators to order spokes for my first homebuilt wheelset. What do you do as far as rounding the lengths... up or down and by how much?

not to hijack the thread. I'm using online calculators to order spokes for my first homebuilt wheelset. What do you do as far as rounding the lengths... up or down and by how much?

depends what brand spokes your are using. Wheelsmith tends to be the truest to size. Dt Swiss notoriously measures up a half millimeter short. The real test is in the final tensioning. I can tend to have ocd when building wheels and have torn a whole wheel apart over a millimeter. To avoid this, get good measurements and run it on another calculator as well. Most discrepencies come from what manufacturer publishes as erd(effective rim diameter) and what the actual erd is. Ultimately, you want the spoke threaded all the way into the nipple and protruding no more than flush with the top of the nipple. Typically, there is a mil or two fudge factor on most wheels. Like I said, my ocd kicks in. However, the closer you are to the proper length, the easier the wheel is going to build up. Too short, and the original lacing up is tougher. Proper length also requires minimal dishing during the build process(you still want to check it every time you start increasing tension). Hope that helps

was going to go with asymmetric carbon rims but think I'm better off as a first build using AL
decided on Oozy 345 or 395, as they seem to be a wash with MK3s and have an extra bling

When I first started building wheels I went through the Sheldon Brown site for information on how to build. It was helpful but I found the lacing method a little confusing. One day I ran across the video that @1sh0t1b33r linked and it seemed to click for me and I really found it helpful visually.

As long as your truing stand will build a straight wheel go ahead and use it. I had an old cheap truing stand that built wheels pretty much as straight as the Park one I have. If your building plus or fat wheels, then you might need a different stand.

The only other thing I would recommend is a tensiometer. For me, I am terrible at determining even tension through sound or feel, so this tool is helpful. I do not build enough wheels to develop the right technique so I end up relying on the meter. Even tension is key to a strong wheel build.

A dish tool is handy, but you can get pretty close without one.

Not sure if it matters but Sheldon and the guy in the video start on opposite sides of the valve hole. Does it make a difference in your opinion ?

Not sure if it matters but Sheldon and the guy in the video start on opposite sides of the valve hole. Does it make a difference in your opinion ?
didn't watch the video, but assuming the guy in the video is using a rim that is drilled differently. Hold a rim on it side and find the valve hole, then find the closest hole facing up(holes are drilled specific for left and right). Nine times out of ten, that spoke hole is to the left of valve hole. A couple manufacturers do it the other way, and is very important information if relacing an old hub because you will overstress the flanges as the lacing pattern won't line up.

didn't watch the video, but assuming the guy in the video is using a rim that is drilled differently. Hold a rim on it side and find the valve hole, then find the closest hole facing up(holes are drilled specific for left and right). Nine times out of ten, that spoke hole is to the left of valve hole. A couple manufacturers do it the other way, and is very important information if relacing an old hub because you will overstress the flanges as the lacing pattern won't line up.

Gotcha. That's how the video showed it. Just to be sure. Hole closest to the valve is typically at the 11 o clock position when viewing it from the decal or drive side?

Gotcha. That's how the video showed it. Just to be sure. Hole closest to the valve is typically at the 11 o clock position when viewing it from the decal or drive side?

It is subtle as hell with some rims (and some are drilled along the centerline, though rare)... Measure from a flat surface with a ruler/vernier.

Yes, so typically when you have the valve hole at 12:00, the spoke hole to the left of the valve hole will be offset closer to you and the spoke hole to the right of the valve will be offset away from you. No matter which side you turn the rim, this will always be the case. When you follow the video the drive side is laced first with hole to the left being the key spoke hole.

The Sheldon Brown instructions are somewhat backwards to this and a bit confusing to follow which is why I find the video much easier to follow.

The Jobst Brandt book is Bible - great theory and technique. I've built every wheel I've ridden, since my 1985 Redline RL-20II...

time to start the practice
hub is a Woodman Disco Hub which I had to convert a frame to disc, but never got there. Rim is an old Sun Rhino lite
upload_2017-12-11_16-14-19.jpeg

where to get spokes? Just need cheap to practice

Maybe?

Spokes that can move significantly in the spoke holes is not good, but with modern metallurgy being what it is, and spokes being consistently good within a batch, you may never have a problem. The issue that may arise is the bend in the spoke–which is already a weak point–can now move quite a bit more, leading to earlier failure.

That's one of the reasons that DT/SAPIM make triple/double butted spokes with a larger 2.3mm bend–it fills more of the spoke hole, creating a more stable interface. Spoke washers can help, but they are really meant for taking up space on thin (steel) hub flanges, to better support the bend in modern spokes.

I think I will take my chances with implosion.

The only other thing I would recommend is a tensiometer. For me, I am terrible at determining even tension through sound or feel, so this tool is helpful. I do not build enough wheels to develop the right technique so I end up relying on the meter. Even tension is key to a strong wheel build.
Other than Stans, I cant seem to find the max or recommended tension
How much tension do you use?

Done about to 2 sets and went with feel and they all held up fine but after seeing others popping spokes here and there, I am a bit concerned about getting the correct tension.

Other than Stans, I cant seem to find the max or recommended tension
How much tension do you use?

Done about to 2 sets and went with feel and they all held up fine but after seeing others popping spokes here and there, I am a bit concerned about getting the correct tension.
What rim are you working with? I've found recommended tension for most of the rims I've used. Most have been between 100 and 125 kgf.

Back
Top Bottom