discuss electric bikes

Explains why my strava segments in Gotham have all fallen in the last year.
Blasphemy !!!

image.jpeg
Just rode this today in Utah. Total blast. This is the first ebike that actually feels like a MTB. Super short rear end, very low veteran of gravity and plus tires.

This one cuts off at 20mph so it did nothing for the descents except in switchbacks. Climbing was a joy. Don't think for a second that you aren't breaking a sweat. You really are working just as hard. You just go faster.

Im not jumping on this bandwagon, but know that these are coming and they will only get lighter.

In Germany and probably in other countries ebikes are already outselling traditional bikes.

.. Now throw your firebombs.

View attachment 38400 Just rode this today in Utah. Total blast. This is the first ebike that actually feels like a MTB. Super short rear end, very low veteran of gravity and plus tires.

This one cuts off at 20mph so it did nothing for the descents except in switchbacks. Climbing was a joy. Don't think for a second that you aren't breaking a sweat. You really are working just as hard. You just go faster.

Im not jumping on this bandwagon, but know that these are coming and they will only get lighter.

In Germany and probably in other countries ebikes are already outselling traditional bikes.

So the question is, will you bring them in to your store to sell knowing the customers will head straight to 6mr, Chimney Rock and Sourlands to use them? I'd love to be able to sell the Specialized Turbo MTB's without guilt. But knowing what will follow, I have held off. Hell, my Dr's would love if I rode one since my lungs are only working at 57% of capacity. But that is another story.

As I said to J, these will be banned on the trails of NJ in short order.

View attachment 38400 Just rode this today in Utah. Total blast. This is the first ebike that actually feels like a MTB. Super short rear end, very low veteran of gravity and plus tires.

I don't think they tear up the trails or cause any more damage than a regular bike!
Like you said, you can go faster uphill with less effort.
What do you think about trail damage after riding it?

In the German countryside there are miles and miles and miles of dirt and gravel roads (mostly no cars allowed). I don't think there is as much single track. You can go from town to town on almost all dirt and probably cover the whole country. E-bikes are super practical there.

So the question is, will you bring them in to your store to sell knowing the customers will head straight to 6mr, Chimney Rock and Sourlands to use them? I'd love to be able to sell the Specialized Turbo MTB's without guilt. But knowing what will follow, I have held off. Hell, my Dr's would love if I rode one since my lungs are only working at 57% of capacity. But that is another story.

There is a total misunderstanding of what these things are and what they can/can't do.

I've used one for the last two summers to build trails and pulls heavily loaded trailer. I can get more done and I 100% promise I have caused no further impact than my regular pedal bike. It is a huge bonus to have that boost when pulling a 50+lb trailer after 4 hrs digging.

These bikes will get lighter and lighter. In a short time, you won't be able to tell these apart from a regular bike.

It's easy to dismiss them, but I ask that you try one in the woods before you write them off or speculate that they are evil / destructive in some way.

Every major brand is making or will soon make a 6-10k dual suspension version. They are already on every trail you ride.

I'm not going to sell them in the near term. If I want real power, I have a four stroke KTM that makes this thing feel like a fisher price bike.

i'm sure i could build a throttle for a pedal assist model with a paper clip, some dental floss, and a piece of gum....
(or a grip shifter, some wire, and a relay) -

you are choosing pedal assist, because you are a cyclist. most will pick the throttle version....

i'm sure i could build a throttle for a pedal assist model with a paper clip, some dental floss, and a piece of gum....
(or a grip shifter, some wire, and a relay) -

you are choosing pedal assist, because you are a cyclist. most will pick the throttle version....

And there lies the problem.

These bikes will get lighter and lighter. In a short time, you won't be able to tell these apart from a regular bike.

This. They can already put a motor and battery in a 12 lb road bike - hiding same in a 26 lb mountain bike will be easy. How can they be policed - are rangers going to start carrying infrared cameras??

This. They can already put a motor and battery in a 12 lb road bike - hiding same in a 26 lb mountain bike will be easy. How can they be policed - are rangers going to start carrying infrared cameras??

Nope. Just easier to ban all bicycles from the trail/parks. And it only takes 1 issue at 1 park for things to get looked at by all land mangers. Is that a little extreme, probably but you never know what can happen.

Nope. Just easier to ban all bicycles from the trail/parks. And it only takes 1 issue at 1 park for things to get looked at by all land mangers. Is that a little extreme, probably but you never know what can happen.

Agreed. I'll gladly lead the charge to help eradicate these things from the local scene. This is like passing out cups of gasoline to kids at a bonfire. Zero chance it all goes well.

Agreed. I'll gladly lead the charge to help eradicate these things from the local scene. This is like passing out cups of gasoline to kids at a bonfire. Zero chance it all goes well.
Im with you guys here. I'm not going to be stocking these.

I rode a cutting edge version the other day and I thought it was important to know how this technology is progressing.

There are bike shops who are focusing on e-bike as their main business and we are going to be seeing more of them .

uglier than the Salsa Woodsmoke ? .....

How long was your ride on that? time? miles?

On highest assist setting, I don't think my ebike battery can run more than like a 2.5hr ride at some NJ parks with good amount of elevation

I still haven't taken the ebike on a trail yet but I don't feel it will make riding better. The weight and it sorta adds this unnatural momentum to the ride I experience on some switchback sidewalks. As the weight and aesthetic get better it will get hotter.

Would a less fit rider riding an ebike and a cat 1 racer ride at much different paces? I've never ridden one so I don't know how they compare.

Back
Top Bottom