DH40 (Dark Horse 40)

best race ever. i had to push myself thru the worst cramps. great course.the chicken was marinated perfectly. my nipples are chafed.

exactly what he said... I guess us somerset guys have sensitive nipples:hmmm:

My First Race

This was my first race ever. I teamed up and we finished 18 of 23.:eek: I did the second leg of the tour in 2:39. Damn I'm Slow. Cramps hit me at the Gates of Heides (mile 16). When I got to the top, the water man filled me up and onward I went. What a beautiful day. The course was awesome. The scenery help take my mind off the task at hand. My attitude was about trying to enjoy the experience, the atmosphere. No pressure, just ride and get out of the way when someone needed to pass.

The chicken hit the spot. At some point I thought to myself, "better get a move on, cause all that would be left would be chicken bones". Once I got to the chow line there was plenty of chicken just off the grill. I grabbed my half chicken, threw a little pasta salad on the plate walk off about 5 yards and plopped myself on the ground and devoured the vittles. What was really funny was that my partner was talking to me and I didn't hear a word he said. My sole purpose was to get some food in the tank. My chicken was cooked right. No raw chicken. No over done chicken. No worries about getting sick later.

Questions for you experienced folks: Is this right, muscle cramps are caused by lack of hydration, potasium and tired muscles? What can be done to avoid cramps? Once the cramps hit, what are the best ways to get through the pain. Are there warning signs before the muscle tightens?

Almost 500 riders rode the trails. DH handled the event with class. BRAVO

Last edited:
The Dark Horse 40... :) :D :D ;) :rofl: that just about covers it! I keep smilin thinking about this race. Best one yet.

AWESOME event, thank you very much to all the folks who helped put this together.

Great fun, competition,BBQ, and beer! I reallly enjoyed this one. Thanks.
Tony.

p.s. For cramps check out endurolytes, they worked for me. www.hammer.com great company to deal with A+ customer service.

Last edited:
any podium for team MTBNJ?????
(aside from ellen)

I had a super fun-filled 5.8 miles, then a 'twig' took out my derailleur. So no podium or finish for me. I was the idiot carrying her bike asking everyone the quickest way to the road. Thanks to all of you that offered your help.

Thumbs up to Darkhorse. What a great race and venue. By far the best I've been to this year. I can't wait for next year, maybe I'll finish.

Nice meeting so many of you yesterday, around the course and sucking foam at the keg:D

Definitely one of the favourite races I've done, Already can't wait for next year and I'm on the lookout for any similar races this summer.

I managed 3 crashes, 2 minor and one not so minor. The worst was just 5 miles in, I went down at speed, hard. I was worried I'd broken something as I had really bad nausea. Managed to get back on the bike and cruise for about 10 minutes. My hip had taken most of the impact but was fine riding. Any of the sections I needed to walk were agony though, I had to almost drag my left leg. After that I was okay until well into the 2nd lap when my first cramp struck. I was riding with a bunch but had to take a couple of minutes to get the use of my legs back. Then the mile 16 hill hit me with my second cramp attack, I had to somehow get off the bike and stand with completely rigid legs for a couple of minutes. I couldn't even bend them to fall over :D

Cruised to the finish where most of the NYCMTB crew were waiting to see me cross the line, apparently I looked quite pale :D

Thanks to Darkhorse for putting on an awesome race. It was my first time at this race - I had a blast and I'll definitely be back next year.

On my first lap I decided to take it nice and easy. Came through the start/ finish and got some energy from the crowd. First couple miles of my second lap I start to really feel it so I had some gel. Once it kicked in I felt awesome and started to pick up some speed. At around 33 miles it all hit the fan :hitsfan: I'm coming down a hill and somehow manage to clip a tree with my handlebars. I go down hard and break my shifter. I jam it in place to keep it in the middle ring and start thinking about the 1x9 thread. Two miles later I hear my back tire explode. Stop and realize I tore through the sidewall. I patch it up with my gel wrapper, go to inflate it and my co2 explodes :mad2: I get like 15 psi in my tire and I'm all out of air b/c I decided I didn't need my pump. I rode the last 5 miles thinking I'm gonna pinch flat, but it held. On every turn my back tire washed out on me.

I crossed the line in 5:57, just happy to finish :getsome:

Thanks for the pics Will, you really seemed to be everywhere.
nice job Eileen!

awesome job Eileen how did you think to patch your tire that way? that would have been it for me.

awesome job Eileen how did you think to patch your tire that way? that would have been it for me.

Tried first with duct tape but it kept sticking to my gloves and not my tire. I started thinking about what I had with me and figured it was worth a try. Never tried it before that day, but it's another reason not to litter.

Back
Top Bottom