derailleur upgrades????

tednugent

My chiropractor, whom is a bad influence on me......

anyway, so I'm thinking of getting lighter wheels next year. While I'm at it...maybe more upgrades:

Here's what I have now:
Front Derailluer: Shimano Altus
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.5 (mid-cage)
Trigger: SRAM X.4
Cassette: SRAM PG-830, 11-32t

I'm thinking about going to a nine-speed, possibly 11-34t.

So for SRAM rear derailleur: probably have to be a long cage.
If I'm spending the money for a X.5 long cage, a X.7 doesn't seem to cost too much more. But is an X.9 worth the extra premium over X.7?

Worth changing upgrading the front derailleur?

Of course, the trigger needs to be upgraded as the X.4 is 8-speed.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What kind of bike is it?

It sounds like you're in that gray area of upgrading a bike that you should be riding until it dies and then buying a whole new bike.

You're replacing a lot of items.

-Steve

ArmyOfNone

start banking your cash now. ride that thing till the wheels fall off. get yourself a sweet new ride!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Seriously,stop yourself before you wreck yourself.

Take some time and look at some bikes that come equipped with the same parts that you are considering upgrading to.

It is uncommon for bike builders to use higher end frames and lower end parts.

Make sure that your frame is suitable for upgrade before you spring so much cha-ching.

tednugent

it's an 09 Rockhopper Comp-Disc 29er

if I compared it to the next level up, the Rockhopper Expert Disc 29
FD: Shimano Deore FD-M530
RD: Shimano Deore
Triggers: Shimao Deore SL-531 (9-speed)
Cassette: Shiamo HG-50 9-speed, 11-34t

SRAM X.7 Rear Derailleurs don't really cost that much over the X.5. There is a considerable jump in price going to the X.9 though.

I also have the same addiction with cars.

phathucker

id definitly go for the 9spd 11=34 those extra teeth would help on steep climbs. however, its possible since it was an 8 spd that it has an 8 spd cassette, wich means you would either have to get the wheel relaced with an 9sd hub or get a new wheel with 9spd compatibility.

As far as derailers: ive bought the more exspencive ones. They all seem to do the same job. Ive had an xtr front derailer, i sold it an now run sram x7

the x7 shifters are better than the x4s. i think the x4s are all plastic.

my 2 cents

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
id definitly go for the 9spd 11=34 those extra teeth would help on steep climbs. however, its possible since it was an 8 spd that it has an 8 spd cassette, wich means you would either have to get the wheel relaced with an 9sd hub or get a new wheel with 9spd compatibility.

As far as derailers: ive bought the more exspencive ones. They all seem to do the same job. Ive had an xtr front derailer, i sold it an now run sram x7

the x7 shifters are better than the x4s. i think the x4s are all plastic.

my 2 cents

8 and 9 speed cass bodies are cross compatible. Just so you know. 7 spedd cass bodies are shorter.

southernerinnj

My chiropractor, whom is a bad influence on me......

anyway, so I'm thinking of getting lighter wheels next year. While I'm at it...maybe more upgrades:

Here's what I have now:
Front Derailluer: Shimano Altus
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.5 (mid-cage)
Trigger: SRAM X.4
Cassette: SRAM PG-830, 11-32t

I'm thinking about going to a nine-speed, possibly 11-34t.

So for SRAM rear derailleur: probably have to be a long cage.
If I'm spending the money for a X.5 long cage, a X.7 doesn't seem to cost too much more. But is an X.9 worth the extra premium over X.7?

Worth changing upgrading the front derailleur?

Of course, the trigger needs to be upgraded as the X.4 is 8-speed.

Just my personal opinion but I just did an upgrade similar to this on my bike.
I went from

Shimano shit cassette to SRAM- X0 Cassette
X-5 Shifters to X-9 Shifters
X-7 RD to X-9 RD

Let me say these for me changed my ride greatly. The preformance is definitely worth the premium you pay for these parts. I heard alot about diminishing returns vs money spent on the X0 shifters and RD so I went with X9 and I am VERY happy with my new setup.

joeschaar

Front D upgrade

it's an 09 Rockhopper Comp-Disc 29er

if I compared it to the next level up, the Rockhopper Expert Disc 29
FD: Shimano Deore FD-M530
RD: Shimano Deore
Triggers: Shimao Deore SL-531 (9-speed)
Cassette: Shiamo HG-50 9-speed, 11-34t

SRAM X.7 Rear Derailleurs don't really cost that much over the X.5. There is a considerable jump in price going to the X.9 though.

I also have the same addiction with cars.

It sounds like you have a good frame so stick with it. You asked about upgrading the front D. I swicthed to SRAM front and back about 4 years ago. The difference between a SRAM front D and the Shimano front D was big. The front D does a simple job but the SRAM was so much crisper and snappy! Also I am happy with my X9 rear D and X7 shifters, just the inprovement was not as dramatic as with the front D.

One other note while the free advice is flowing; If you change the cassette and all those other parts change the CHAIN. I am a big guy (230 lbs) and I have broken every chain out there except KMC chains. Upgrade to a KMC chain (X9).

Good luck and have fun!

tednugent

forgot to mention....wheels.... that's the expensive part... considering next year Mavic C29ssmax.

i can buy the various parts during the off-season (....snowboarding season)... until when it comes time to pony up the cash for the wheels....

x.0 = too expensive. Carbon fiber sounds cool though, but when the epoxy breaks...kiss them goodbye

Top Bottom