Dear Mr or Mrs Dog Walker

And while you're at it, also get rid of the stupid harness and use an actual collar so that you can actually CONTROL your untrained dog.

collars can be slipped alot more easily than a harness can, keep the harness at least you wont lose the dog that way.

While you’re at it, could you please have your dog on a leash, EVEN IF ThEY ARE “FRIENDLY”!!
NO
Not to worry though we ride 99% where there aren't complainers. I know this is a sore subject for the crowded trail users, trails we aren't. Quite frankly a leashed dog is an untrained dog. A very big problem in this country is humans owning dogs who treat dogs like humans, like toddlers to be exact, instead of a dog. So dogs act like nasty 2 yr old toddlers :)

collars can be slipped alot more easily than a harness can, keep the harness at least you wont lose the dog that way.

Incorrect, I’ve had big dogs for most of my life, and if you get a proper collar and you tighten it correctly, it won’t slip. If your dog is writhing and twisting to that degree where they can work free, or prone to it, then you have other issues and it should be on a pinch collar. Those harnesses may work on little Pugs and Yorkies, but most people can’t restrain a motivated larger dog in a harness, especially with a skinny retractable leash. Contrary to popular belief, you’re not hurting a dog with a collar, and a pinch collar is a good training tool for an unruly dog (do people even still train their dogs anymore?)

NO
Not to worry though we ride 99% where there aren't complainers. I know this is a sore subject for the crowded trail users, trails we aren't. Quite frankly a leashed dog is an untrained dog. A very big problem in this country is humans owning dogs who treat dogs like humans, like toddlers to be exact, instead of a dog. So dogs act like nasty 2 yr old toddlers :)

An unleashed dog in NJ is you asking for trouble, especially in this litigious society that we live in. Most parks are pretty clear on the leash law, so you really don’t have a leg to stand on if there’s trouble, even if your dog is friendly. Sure 90% of people are dog lovers, but the 10% is who you need to watch. The last thing you want is a law suit and your dog being put down. It can happen. I know someone with a friendly dog who was sued just because it jumped on someone to say hello. All you need is someone crashing and hurting themselves, or worse a kid getting hurt, and you’re up shits creek. Even the best trained dogs sometimes give in to millions of years of ingrained instinct, Is it really worth it?

An unleashed dog in NJ is you asking for trouble, especially in this litigious society that we live in. Most parks are pretty clear on the leash law, so you really don’t have a leg to stand on if there’s trouble, even if your dog is friendly. Sure 90% of people are dog lovers, but the 10% is who you need to watch. The last thing you want is a law suit and your dog being put down. It can happen. I know someone with a friendly dog who was sued just because it jumped on someone to say hello. All you need is someone crashing and hurting themselves, or worse a kid getting hurt, and you’re up shits creek. Even the best trained dogs sometimes give in to millions of years of ingrained instinct, Is it really worth it?
As I tell the dog walker who's dog is going nuts on its leash that has something to say or an ugly mug. Worry about your own dog mine is ignoring you and yours.

I am not worried about my dog as she is properly trained. Again we are lucky to have riding where coming across another person is far and few.

Dogs are pack animals who need to run, you want to start to have a well behaved dog treat it like a pack animal and try to run it everyday. Walking a dog is doing a disservice even though most think this is the exercise it needs.

I don't buy any of the excuses for not cleaning up after your horse. I can only wish for bear scat on my trials - maybe they could eat the horses whose riders are too prissy to shovel...

The whole board is waiting for the story...

I(17yo) was with a "friend" at the tourne while hiking around and he stepped on shit in a bag. He was pissed but w.e. Maybe an hour later we watch some dude bag his dog shit and toss it a few feet off the trail. I yell something along the lines of, "hey nice throw," maybe something a little less polite... Nope it was definitely something way more offensive aimed at antagonizing.

Please remember we're 17 yo kids with more aggression than we know what to do with... He gives me the finger and tells us to mind our own business.

My buddy, still shit footed, goes off the trail grabs the bag of shit and runs the guy down on the trail and says, "you drop this fun face"(edited for your reading pleasure but only one word was edited). And with the force of 1000 suns pegs it at the guys chest when he turned around. With the only compatible visualization being a combination of Castle Bravo meets 2 girls one cup, just less fire, sex and possibly more poop but I can't confirm since I've not see one of those videos. What I've heard there was more shit that afternoon at the tourne due to a miscalculation in how much shit was in the bag, think assuming that lithium 7 is inert.

And we ran as fast as stoned 17 year olds with pants that were far to baggie for suburban kids but what ever thug life, and that's the story of my first drive by.

Incorrect, I’ve had big dogs for most of my life, and if you get a proper collar and you tighten it correctly, it won’t slip. If your dog is writhing and twisting to that degree where they can work free, or prone to it, then you have other issues and it should be on a pinch collar. Those harnesses may work on little Pugs and Yorkies, but most people can’t restrain a motivated larger dog in a harness, especially with a skinny retractable leash. Contrary to popular belief, you’re not hurting a dog with a collar, and a pinch collar is a good training tool for an unruly dog (do people even still train their dogs anymore?)

this is not incorrect, collars are easier to slip than properly adjusted harnesses, we have two 'giant' (so called) breed dogs (great Pyrenees and newfie great pyr mix). As a puppy the Great pyr learned how to get out of his collar, fortunately he was mostly trained already and he simply walked home and waited for me, but ever since we have been unable to use collars (even pinch collars) because he can work his way out of them. Some dogs with narrow enough necks may be OK in a collar, but broader stronger necked dogs definitely are not. Both of our dogs are trained(well the puppy is well on his way), walk well and dont cause trouble, but i would never trust a collar to retain either of them in a pinch.

for reference, my 4'10" wife who weighs 110lbs soaking wet can walk both of them at the same time with no problems, if you think that would be possible without proper training you are truly nuts.

Reactions: Tim
I(17yo) was with a "friend" at the tourne while hiking around and he stepped on shit in a bag. He was pissed but w.e. Maybe an hour later we watch some dude bag his dog shit and toss it a few feet off the trail. I yell something along the lines of, "hey nice throw," maybe something a little less polite... Nope it was definitely something way more offensive aimed at antagonizing.

Please remember we're 17 yo kids with more aggression than we know what to do with... He gives me the finger and tells us to mind our own business.

My buddy, still shit footed, goes off the trail grabs the bag of shit and runs the guy down on the trail and says, "you drop this fun face"(edited for your reading pleasure but only one word was edited). And with the force of 1000 suns pegs it at the guys chest when he turned around. With the only compatible visualization being a combination of Castle Bravo meets 2 girls one cup, just less fire, sex and possibly more poop but I can't confirm since I've not see one of those videos. What I've heard there was more shit that afternoon at the tourne due to a miscalculation in how much shit was in the bag, think assuming that lithium 7 is inert.

And we ran as fast as stoned 17 year olds with pants that were far to baggie for suburban kids but what ever thug life, and that's the story of my first drive by.

Can you "explain" the "friend" thing?

Back
Top Bottom