Damaged carbon frame

Hair Face

So I took a tumble at Hartshorne last week and managed damage my frame in the process. It was a pretty anticlimactic crash. I washed out in a sand pit and landed sideways on a log. It didn't seem like a bad enough spill to warrant possible bike damage so I popped up brushed myself off and went about my ride.

Fast forward to yesterday and as I was getting ready to head out for my ride I felt something strange on the top tube. So I of course looked to see what it was and low and behold there's an impact mark on the side of my top tube. The top side has some paint cracking but the lower side has some fully exposed carbon with paint missing and if you look close enough the carbon appears to have split or at the very least splintered.

I reached out to spot and they obviously advised to immediately stop riding the bike, which I may or may not have rolled the dice on last night, and asked me to send photos. I emailed them photos from the Clayton trail head and by the time I got back to the truck I had an email asking me to mail the frame in for engineering to inspect. A slight pita but understandable given it's really hard to diagnose from photographs.

I'm not quite sure what to expect on this one. I don't think this falls under warranty but they do have a crash replacement policy. Assuming they don't replace it at no cost or at a reasonable price, I might look into frame repair.

Does anyone have experience with any carbon fiber frame repair companies? The finish and layup on this frame is really nice and I fear it would be lumpy in that area unless it went to a really good shop. What should I expect repair and paint (maybe time to go custom?) to cost for something like this?

Any input is appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230727_082846_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230727_082846_Gallery.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 20230726_162553.jpg
    20230726_162553.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 20230726_162540.jpg
    20230726_162540.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 20230726_162611.jpg
    20230726_162611.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 158

call tom at swamp ghost, he can fix that no problem and im sure match the paint almost perfectly too. hes super personable and easy to talk to. call him and send him some pics. he repaired a carbon seat stay on a bike for me in around 10days and ~$360 if i remember correctly. he is in Manasquan too so you wont have to ship it.

call tom at swamp ghost, he can fix that no problem and im sure match the paint almost perfectly too. hes super personable and easy to talk to. call him and send him some pics. he repaired a carbon seat stay on a bike for me in around 10days and ~$360 if i remember correctly. he is in Manasquan too so you wont have to ship it.
I'll definitely check them out. Still feel like I should at least try going through spot first though, no?

I know @Wrong Way Dan had some work done with them, good people and sturdy repairs but I'm not sure it looked factory fresh. Maybe Dan can chime in.

Can't hurt to ask what Spot offers for crash replacement also.

I had a Norco carbon frame repaired by swamp ghost and it was good as new for many years of hard riding.

All good input! Sounds like if spot doesn't hook me up I'll take it to swamp ghost.

I actually have a small bottle of touch-up paint that came with the bike. It's probably plenty to airbrush that area with so it may be my savior.

Definitely, I assume you didn’t tell them you crashed?

I told them what happened. I figured it would probably be obvious to them that something struck that area and the best approach to getting them to hook me up was to be honest right out of the gate.

Had a really busy weekend hopefully I can get it mailed out this week.

These guys are far away, it their work is flawless.

Damn dude, you cant win with carbon this year...

Yeah, if not for that wheel, I probably wouldn't give much thought to riding this frame with a little spot of damage. But now that I have firsthand experience on what happens to carbon with a little bit of damage I won't risk it.

So the frame finally made it over to spot and I heard back from them almost immediately. They don't recommend a repair because of where the damage is (on a thin section of the top tube) and instead offered a crash replacement at 50% off. He said if I want to go the repair route he'll gladly send it back to me and let me try that instead.... Going to call and have a talk with swamp ghost and then sleep on it.

Back
Top Bottom