D&Q Summer Sizzler 2016 (MASS)

Billy-D_Approves.gif

good job son, can i say i told you so yet?

THANKS!!! Take a #.... The line is around the corner :)

DQ Summer Sizzler Report

This past Sunday I competed in my first ever Mid Atlantic Super Series (MASS) Race taking place down in Sewell NJ on trails surrounding Rowan College. Being a regional race I expected some tougher competition in the Men's 30-39 Category 2 class. The Race 100% delivered on the competition aspect.
Leading up to the event I did a good paced road ride on a Tuesday and light low intensity rides the remainder of the week lots of stretching thrown in. A few sprints on Saturday to assess how I was feeling and lots of rest the night before.

Drove down early Sunday Morning with my GF as my moral support. My game plan going in was to get a good start and latch onto the race leaders to watch their line choices. Lap 1, follow the leader. Lap 2 look for passing spots, fine tuning my lines, assessing their endurance, how I’m feeling and assemble a plan. Lap 3, pull the pin, make moves and try to build a lead.

I’ve never mountain biked down in this part of NJ and certainly never ran this course. I’m also racing against guys I’ve never seen before. I managed to find a video on youtube to get an idea of what the terrain and trails were like. Looked rooty, no big climbs, sandy, twisty and fast. My kinda course!

Lap1

My start was okay, getting to the grid 10 minutes before race start didn’t help and thus I started mid pack. Front row was about 8 guys lined up and course wide enough for 10 should to shoulder down the line. It was a short sprint and two corners before single track time. I Banged some bars at the start a fell back a little to a worse position then did what I could to obtain a good position before getting into the single track. So much for my planned “good start”.

Once we hit the single track I could feel that my pace was off as I was getting held up by the guys in front and getting slightly frustrated. Being the I was running the course blind I made a conscious effort to keep my head up ad see around them and look for any and all openings. In the wider straights and punchy climbs I began to pick them off one by one with little to no contest. Lots of traffic had to be negotiated this lap but thankfully the course wasn’t technically difficult and I was able to put together a map in my head and identify key areas for more efficient line choices and more speed. In the distance and on the switch back returns I could see the red jersey of the race leader. He had a decent lead, seemed like 30 – 40 seconds. Lots going on this lap and it flew by, near the end the traffic lightened up and I could focus on me. I threw in a sprint across the field completing Lap 1, my heartrate was bouncing off 187 re-entering the single track with 2 to go.

Lap2

Now it was time to put the work in. I renter the woods, some corners and hit a some tiny descents.I take a slight recess from pedaling, stretch my calves and deep breathes to regain composure. The traffic is minimal and it’s time to chip off 1/10s and methodically reel that lead group in. I’m not quite sure of my position at this point, there was no time to count the guys in front nor keep track of how many I passed. Plus with so many other people on the course it’s hard to tell. Still I saw that red Jersey ahead, he seemed closer with another rider in tow putting pressure on him. My heart rate has yet to dip under 180, breathing heavy and legs are getting a little bitchy. I’m smiling though because this course is pretty damn fun.!Like my friend Mike said, it’s like combining 6 mile and Allaire. Mix of roots, hardpack, loam, mulch, a few small log obstacles, punchy hills, ballsy descents and momentum killing sand. My line choices are a little tidier and I feel the speed picking up. I’m starting to notice that on some of the switch backs I’m not passing the two lead guys anymore, and seeing freshly kicked up dust in front of me which means I’m closer. All in all the entire lap went super clean, I still saw some details to refine on a few corners and passing spots. I rip through the final single track and the final climb before start/finish. No time to rest I work to put down the power across the finish line straight and field. I hear my Mountain Bike Mike yelling at me to dig deep and keep going, I felt like I was back in Highschool again getting yelled at by my track coach. I figured I’m and third and knew they were close ahead. Its go time and last opportunity to put something together.

Lap3

Lap 3 I get a little more brazen. I’m feeling the front end push and tuck going into the turns. I’m bombing the short downhills riding the scalpel like a big travel all mountain bike. I’m the long sections I see the two lead guys 30 – 40 seconds ahead of me. This motivates me even more to dig deeper. The line choices are more refined and I’m feeling a good rhythm going through the corners. I reel the second place rider in about ½ through the lap. He’s pretty gassed, riding a little sloppy and after riding this back tire for a few corners he courteously lets me pass. Up ahead, maybe 20 or so seconds in front of me is that red jersey. I’m going to catch this guy. I start to build a nice gap ahead of 3rd place and slicing the corners. I rip down a short rooty descent and put some pedal strokes in once it levels out. I feel my legs spin, they spin a little to easy. I look down, no! My chain came off the front chain ring on the inside. My left thumb moves to actuate front derailleur, but unfortunately this is a 1 x 11 drivetrain, and also no chain guard. Funny how we do instinctive things like that. I grab some brake and pull over and hop off bike to the left. I pull derailleur forward with my right hand, and feed the chain going reverse direction with my left. Spin the pedal, catch catch, chain pops off. I Try again a little slower, with the same unfortunate result and the guy I passed 2 minutes earlier regains his Second place spot. Final solution, I lock the derailleur forward releasing tension and put the chain on with both hands going normal direction and get it to fully seat. Pop the derailleur back and remount. #$@#$ $%#% %$# !!! I just lost a good 30 seconds there and all my work from the past lap and a half. Big big front end slide a few corners later, my riding is sloppy! I yell at myself to chill the f--- out and put that anger into my legs on the straights. I get back into my groove and work to see if I can salvage a position. Thankfully the lappers let me pass without issue, think I see the second place guy ahead. Hit that final tight single track before finish I catch a lapper and this dude is parking it in the corners and descents, arg! Finally get around him and reach the finish relieved it’s over.

Post Race

Wound up finishing in 3rd, with a time of 1:25:13 completing 3 laps total 16 miles. Second place was a mere 15 seconds ahead, 1st place 59 seconds ahead. I was a whopping 4 minutes ahead of 4th place and the remainder of the field in the 1:30’s. Aside from the little chain issue I ran a solid race maintain a nice consistent pace the whole time. Couple tiny mistakes in some corners but no major moments.

Racing is always a shoulda coulda woulda. I took 3rd, it’s in the books. If my chain didn’t drop? I feel like I could’ve gotten a win and 100% 2nd place. Better start an no chain issues, I win for sure. Looking at the data on Strava post I was in fact 20 sec behind race leader before chaingate running nearly an identical pace.

I would up receiving a nice beer glass, bottle of spray lube and a cool little neck trophy for my heard earned result.
Like any race I learned quite a bit and had a great time, looking forward to Mountain Creek XC in two weeks. Although it was a 3rd place, I was pretty far ahead the remainder of the field. Won the Cat 2 race earlier this year with H2H at Wawayanda with a 1 minute lead, and won 2 XC Cat 2 races last year with some healthy margins. I’ve been riding over half my life, but started racing official XC events last year. It feels good to win, but being that far ahead of the field I think it’s time to step up and begin playing with the big boys in cat 1.

It feels good to win, but being that far ahead of the field I think it’s time to step up and begin playing with the big boys in cat 1.

If you concentrate on the fitness a little more and keep racing, you'll do fine in cat 1. You've got above average skills.

Seems like other than @Mountain Bike Mike , nobody in cat 2 19-39 wants to move to cat 1. (I didn't either for the record).

I saw tons of photographers out there on Sunday, anyone know if any of them post their shots?.

Back
Top Bottom