D&Q Summer Sizzler 2016 (MASS)

JDurk

I know there's an H2H on the same day, so anyone interested in racing without a long drive to NY, here's another option. Hours of work by volunteers have brought these trails back to allow riding again. A severe storm in June last summer forced the 2015 race to be cancelled. Race information and pre-registration can be found here.

https://www.bikereg.com/summersizzlerxc

trener1

I am going to be down at the shore this weekend so I am thinking that I might hit this race, I have never ridden down there, what is the course like?.

JDurk

Pretty flat, nothing too techy, just a few roots, flowy ST. A few punchy climbs. No rocks. About 5mi of trails, Cat 1/2/3 do 4/3/2 laps.

Mountain Bike Mike

I would recommend this race for anyone that loves to rip around 6 Mile Run, Mercer County Park, Clayton, Allaire, Wharton... This course is very similar to those types of trail systems.

This will be my first time racing this event and I spent some time a couple weeks ago doing laps - I really enjoyed figuring out the flow of the place - it's tons of fun riding it at race pace with other people.

While I was out there, the guys that put this event on were hard at work in the heat getting this place ready - come out and support these guys and race this race.

choop

Good race yesterday. The course rolled a bit more than I expected. A bit dry and loose in spots, but thats called summer. Only my 4th race, so I am learning a bit more each time. Finished 14th in cat 2 40-49. Definitely enjoyed the ice cream afterwards. :th:

Mountain Bike Mike

Real quick on how it went down...

1st lap - Horn goes off, sprint like hell and jump onto Tommy's wheel into the Singletrack. I hang with him for about 10 minutes and his team mate (TR) blows by me in the doubletrack. We ran 1, 2, 3 for just past the half lap point, Sam was running in 4th (up my ass) and I bobbled in the new section and Sam passed me for 3rd. Then Sam bobbled and I took over 3rd. then Sam got around me again and I was back to 4th. Sam got around TR and TR and I battled and he eventually gapped me in the last section of ST before the S/F

2nd lap - I could see the top three in the S/F field so after switching bottles, I hammered and put down my best effort to bridge up to 3rd. I looked back before hitting the singletrack and I see Zack running in 5th. I hammer and start to catch TR and am reeling him in. He's fading. Once we hit the double track, I stood and hammered passed him and I was hoping TR would hold up Zack who was gaining on me fast. At this point, I put out my hardest effort to keep zack from attaching. No luck, he caught me. I pushed as hard and as fast as I could, for half a lap and Zack was still there. So I decided to let him by and tried to hang on to his wheel. No luck - dude was just flat out faster and better than me. Now I'm in 4th.

3rd lap - Swap bottles (bonk bottle) and slam a GU.. La La Land set in... I was hurting from that second lap and just felt slow for a little while. I was able to shake that in about a half lap and started picking up the pace again.

4th lap - I caught and passed a couple Elite classed racers (which was a nice boost to the ego) and rode with another guy for a while until I passed him and then got a huge second wind and was ripping the second half of the last lap for a strong finish. I lost way too much time on the 3rd lap to have a chance to bridge up to third for a shot at the podium. I sprinted through the S/F, super pumped about finishing 4th and being able to hang with those guys in the front.

Overall, the course was in great shape, I loved the flow of the place and the roots and sand really kept me on my toes. You guys put on a great event.

One thing that needs improvement - Your Heckle Pit Sucked!!! LOL

I hung out to Watch Rob McCuen and Brian @BrianGT3 battle in the Cat 2 class.

Thanks @JDurk and that team for the hospitality and letting me use their tent for my chair, cooler and feed zone!!!

Last edited:

JDurk

Overall, the course was in great shape, I loved the flow of the place and the roots and sand really kept me on my toes. You guys put on a great event.

It was real dry. The storms that rolled through the night before broke up or passed right by. Wet roots are no fun, so we'll settle for dry and dusty.

When you came by the Heckle Pit on lap 1, it was about 10 of us and more than half were racing in Cat2. We watched the entire Cat1 field 1st lap, then left to get ready to race. It was a rowdier heckling crowd for Cat2.

Glad everyone had a good time.

Mountain Bike Mike

When you came by the Heckle Pit on lap 1, it was about 10 of us and more than half were racing in Cat2. We watched the entire Cat1 field 1st lap, then left to get ready to race. It was a rowdier heckling crowd for Cat2.

Well yeah, because every time I came through the pit, I was like WTF guys, you all suck, all quiet and shit... I Heckled the shit out of them for Sucking at heckling. By lap four, they had it under control. Definitely need more cowbell, Always more cowbell.. More horns...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Real quick on how it went down...

1st lap - Horn goes off, sprint like hell and jump onto Tommy's wheel into the Singletrack. I hang with him for about 10 minutes and his team mate (TR) blows by me in the doubletrack. We ran 1, 2, 3 for just past the half lap point, Sam was running in 4th (up my ass) and I bobbled in the new section and Sam passed me for 3rd. Then Sam bobbled and I took over 3rd. then Sam got around me again and I was back to 4th. Sam got around TR and TR and I battled and he eventually gapped me in the last section of ST before the S/F

2nd lap - I could see the top three in the S/F field so after switching bottles, I hammered and put down my best effort to bridge up to 3rd. I looked back before hitting the singletrack and I see Zack running in 5th. I hammer and start to catch TR and am reeling him in. He's fading. Once we hit the double track, I stood and hammered passed him and I was hoping TR would hold up Zack who was gaining on me fast. At this point, I put out my hardest effort to keep zack from attaching. No luck, he caught me. I pushed as hard and as fast as I could, for half a lap and Zack was still there. So I decided to let him by and tried to hang on to his wheel. No luck - dude was just flat out faster and better than me. Now I'm in 4th.

3rd lap - Swap bottles (bonk bottle) and slam a GU.. La La Land set in... I was hurting from that second lap and just felt slow for a little while. I was able to shake that in about a half lap and started picking up the pace again.

4th lap - I caught and passed a couple Elite classed racers (which was a nice boost to the ego) and rode with another guy for a while until I passed him and then got a huge second wind and was ripping the second half of the last lap for a strong finish. I lost way too much time on the 3rd lap to have a chance to bridge up to third for a shot at the podium. I sprinted through the S/F, super pumped about finishing 4th and being able to hang with those guys in the front.

I hung out to Watch Rob McCuen and Brian @BrianGT3 battle in the Cat 2 class.

Thanks @JDurk and that team for the hospitality and letting me use their tent for my chair, cooler and feed zone!!!

Billy-D_Approves.gif

good job son, can i say i told you so yet?

Top Bottom