Custom paint work.

Strix

does anyone on here or know anyone that does custom paint work on bikes? I’m in the market for a new gravel bike but I hate some of the paint colors on some of them from the factory.

Didn’t even know they do that on bikes. I’m open to it. I would like to see some work before I fully commit.

Is Bruce @ The Color Factory still working? It's been several years since I've had something done. Lives in Waretown, IIRC.

FYI, he's gotten a 'bad rap' for crummy work...but he also takes jobs that other professional painters won't take (pits/rust/general crummy condition), and then people winge about it. His work is in-line with industry pricing/quality, otherwise. Paints with Imron, if that matters to you.

If you're looking for a Concourse-level paint job, expect to be floored by the cost ($1500+). Typically, adding things like windows, pin stripes, lining, and gradients pumps the price through the roof. Single colors can be had easily in the $500-800 range, erring lower if you do the crappy work like stripping and masking yourself...which a professional painter may charge you to do over, anyway.

Reactions: don
Thanks everyone for your advice. I would be looking for something not too crazy like a one color fake or two color. Nothing out of control just a color of my liking. At least on the bikes in my price range 2500-3000 the only company’s I like the paint on is Cervelo or 3T I just wish I liked the way I felt on the Cervelo cause that have some good deals on them right now. As of the 3T I haven’t found someone locally yet that I can throw my leg over.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your advice. I would be looking for something not too crazy like a one color fake or two color. Nothing out of control just a color of my liking. At least on the bikes in my price range 2500-3000 the only company’s I like the paint on is Cervelo or 3T I just wish I liked the way I felt on the Cervelo cause that have some good deals on them right now. As of the 3T I haven’t found someone locally yet that I can throw my leg over.
Does @jdog still sell 3T bikes?

Forgive me but, you’re looking at bikes that are $2500-$3000, and then you intend to put - can we round up and call it a $1k - into paint? How about applying the $ right to the bike look at bikes that are close to $4000 and may you find something you fall in love with. Or find the color you can be the most ok with and treat your new bike to some cool $1000 parts upgrade? I just remember buying a Paramount r80 years ago. Granny apple green front gold rear. Hated it, but it was full xt for silly cheap and function over form won. I came to love that bike and have so many fond memories of rides we shared.

Forgive me but, you’re looking at bikes that are $2500-$3000, and then you intend to put - can we round up and call it a $1k - into paint? How about applying the $ right to the bike look at bikes that are close to $4000 and may you find something you fall in love with. Or find the color you can be the most ok with and treat your new bike to some cool $1000 parts upgrade? I just remember buying a Paramount r80 years ago. Granny apple green front gold rear. Hated it, but it was full xt for silly cheap and function over form won. I came to love that bike and have so many fond memories of rides we shared.

This is really the talk-down-from-the-ledge you need, though.

You might as well buy an off-the-shelf custom for what you are going to pay from buying 1) the frame you want) and the 2) color scheme you want. Hell, at least you aren't really paying "extra" for the paint on a custom...and if you tickle the builder's fancy, you might even get a discount on it.

Replicating even a run-of-the-mill paintjob from a production bike will cost you serious $$$.

This is really the talk-down-from-the-ledge you need, though.

You might as well buy an off-the-shelf custom for what you are going to pay from buying 1) the frame you want) and the 2) color scheme you want. Hell, at least you aren't really paying "extra" for the paint on a custom...and if you tickle the builder's fancy, you might even get a discount on it.

Replicating even a run-of-the-mill paintjob from a production bike will cost you serious $$$.
Honestly you are right and I was thinking the same thing. I didn’t realize it was so $$$$ for a bike. I think I’m going with the 3T they seem to have nice colors and I got to throw my leg around one yesterday and it felt nice. F it all.

Back
Top Bottom