Cunningham Park, Queens NY

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
wow! that looks like a fun place... i think the next time i am out in long island for work, i may have a bike on my car... :hmmm:

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
We don't maintain Cunningham Park- that's a project of CLIMB- we just ride there a lot and have helped out here and there.

The trails and jumps are great- very twisty and technical for a place without much rock and with very little elevation change. It's definitely worth checking out. Since it's only 15 minutes from my apartment, I ride there quite a bit...

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Huummm...

I saw this over on the RM forums. I thought some of you might be interested in what's going on up there. Looks like some really fun stuff that was done w/ the park permission. Seems like it would be a great model for some of the parks down here in NJ.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205626

Don,

Might be something in the works for a North Jersey park...JORBA should have details in the next few months.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
Don,

Might be something in the works for a North Jersey park...JORBA should have details in the next few months.

great, another north jersey park...
move em closer to the middle of da state!
jk, sounds like it could be pretty cool

sorry I had to split early.
you didn't miss much. after you left, we finished marking the orange trail we started and hung out by the old freeride section/jumps (which look like they used to be sick).

Last edited:

hooples3

Cunningham is definitely a fun place too ride. It seems like every time I go there there are new and exciting things to ride.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i just got out to cunningham this morning. man is this a fun place to ride. the trails are really well marked. i came across a real nice jump line, unfortunately there was standing water between jumps, but there was a nice pump line right next to it that was dry as a bone.

if you're in NYC or long island and you need to take the bike out - i would highly recommend this place for a quick ride. there is a lot of stuff built into this place - log rides, jumps, jump lines, and pump stuff.

***and parking in the area is a breeze.

here's a pic of the trailhead.

cunningham.jpg

good stuff.

Last edited:

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Will be doing a XC ride there tomorrow after work. Should be there at 545 if anyone wants to join. This is closest place to where i work.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Yeah. Rode with a friend. I was riding there last year often when it just opened. I had little expectations for the place as any feature on the XC course that was remotely challenging was being sanitized, some even cemented. The changing of features made the ride dangerous and unpredictable. As i expected going there yesterday every challenging feature and obstacle was pretty much buffed out. But what i didn't expect is that the buffing and heavy traffic has made the place more flowy and fun than before. there are some excellent burms there. I'm disappointed with myself for not going there more previously this summer. I will be trying to get there once or twice a week after work while we have the sunlight. Meeting my riding buddy at 5:45 at the trailhead. We will go through the XC loops with some playing on features. If anyone wants to meet out there during the week at that time you are welcome to join or give me an advanced notice and i'll meet up.

The very loose dirt was a little scary when trying to flow.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Fundraiser tomorrow (Saturday) night for Cunningham trail improvements. 7:30 at the Brownstone Lounge in Douglaston, Queens, just up the street from sponsoring shop Peak Bike Shop.

http://www.nycmtb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3992

Raffling off a Jamis dirt jump bike, Arcade BMX frame, Boxxer fork, Transition wheelset, and a Scott Contessa complete womens mountain bike.

Come on out and support the trails!

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I always expected to pay a premium for work at shop in NYC, but that isn't the case with Jerry. I've got a few nice upgrades to my ride that i've paid basically internet prices for through Peak, including install.

Top Bottom