Cross Tires

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The deal with PDX is the more you lean them into a corner the more they grip. Between the center block of "Y" treads and the block of "Y" treads on the shoulder there aint' much (see below). Get the bike leaned over more. You need to drive them hard otherwise they will squirm on you. Also, the knobs are tall and thin so they can feel a bit squirmy on hardpack or pavement.

cross-tires-interbike-2011-cyclocross-magazine-p1_9338_1.JPG

rosceaux

I see that most of these recommendations are 2-3 years old. Any updated recommendations for an all around cross tire for clinchers?

I just picked up a used cross bike and am looking forward to my first races this season. I'd like to get in plenty of practice time in advance, so I want to dial in my system now. My first practive session consisted of falling in a mess of mud, pushing myself hard enough to almost puke, and then immediately complaining about my gear, the conditions, and drinking beer. Am I doing it right?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Years later, still PDX. I use them for any and all conditions. Never failed me yet.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So, really old thread but i saw some exciting news (if you want to race cross this year). There will finally be cx specific tires that aren’t limited to stupid irrelevant UCI rules. And I’m not talking about some lame gravel tires meant for riding dirt roads. I’m talking about real cyclocross tires:

Will anyone care? Probably not. But if you’re cross curious, and you realize gravel is snooze fest, your gravel bike can double as a cross bike. (It’ll just be 5lbs heavier because gravel).

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So, really old thread but i saw some exciting news (if you want to race cross this year). There will finally be cx specific tires that aren’t limited to stupid irrelevant UCI rules. And I’m not talking about some lame gravel tires meant for riding dirt roads. I’m talking about real cyclocross tires:

Will anyone care? Probably not. But if you’re cross curious, and you realize gravel is snooze fest, your gravel bike can double as a cross bike. (It’ll just be 5lbs heavier because gravel).
fb2b58d7-d7bc-44be-a154-b400f460d4da_text.gif

but also
tumblr_o5deut91wc1tfbtrwo1_400.gif

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's

While I like the lower rank of racers to ride whatever I really like that Cyclocross limits what the racers can use in the pro/elite level. Drop bar, 33mm tires etc make it what it is and I hope they don't really change that. If they change too much it just becomes short track MTB.

The exception is disk brakes, that was one rule change I'm glad they changed.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
While I like the lower rank of racers to ride whatever I really like that Cyclocross limits what the racers can use in the pro/elite level. Drop bar, 33mm tires etc make it what it is and I hope they don't really change that. If they change too much it just becomes short track MTB.

The exception is disk brakes, that was one rule change I'm glad they changed.

UCI racer’s will still be limited to 33. This has masters classes written all over it.

robcleary

I'm trying a casual CX race in Philly this fall, (Papertrail Bike Cafe) considering running my Panaracer Comets (38c) that are already on my gravel bike. Although if anyone's got some 2nd hand tires for sale or suggestions I'm open to it.

Top Bottom