Cross Tires

Jeffreywoliver

any suggestions for some off-the-shelf CX tires that range between $35-50 per tire? I'm looking for latteral traction as I'm not as comfortable with being on the edge of control. Thanks.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
Well, you're never gonna get a tubular tire for that price.

Edit: Though I do like the Clement MXP in clincher. (still no tubular tire though)

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Guy on left seems to have lots of lateral grip.
maldon-cyclocross.jpg

-YETI-

I second Heckler's Clement MXP recommendation. I have tubular version and it seems pretty versatile so far.

If you want tons of tread - I raced on Vittoria Cross XL Pro clinchers last year- awesome in mud. These are also right in your price range.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
Clement PDX is the one I'd have if I could only have one.

I have no experience with PDX but it looks similar to the Challenge Lymus whose knobs are a little tall and squirmy on hard surfaces ATMO.

But

Eric knows what he's talking about so I'D LISTEN TO MR. SPRINKLE KIT.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Clement PDX is the one I'd have if I could only have one.
Woot! That's what I got. Apparently they are not tubeless but what is your thought on ghettoing them with a rim strip?

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Don't do PDX tubeless. Have them on pit wheels with latex tubes. Specialized Terra Pro set up tubeless on IronCross wheels have been flawless for the past two seasons. Heard there may be tubeless MXP's or PDX's out sometime in the future...

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Vittoria TNT setup tubeless on Stans rims alpha 340 has been solid for me. Also Kenda Happy Medium 40c on Iron Cross tubeless. Never tried Clement's tubeless but I've heard they don't work well too.

No racing with either but some serious off road schralpage has been done.

PDXs roll way faster than the Limus.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I took Bill out at Holster when my not-recommended PDX tubeless conversion failed in a corner. Don't do it. Clement does offer a legit PDX tubeless this year. Also MXP and BOS. I've mounted mine but haven't run 'em in the real world yet. But they're out of your stated budget at $70 a pop. Kenda makes some affordable tubeless tires, but yeah, what @Delish said: PDX. It's a fine jack of all trades tire. The MXP won't shed mud if it gets tacky and you'll slide like a Zamboni on a hill.
I raced my Kenda Happy Mediums tubeless this weekend. Stoked. I'm 210 and can't corner for sh*t, ran mine at 36/38, banged rim all day w/nary a burp. Take a look at the Kommando X Pro SCT. $35 and built to run tubeless.

Last edited:

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll let you know Sunday afternoon. Fingers crossed for rain :)

I meant the running Clement non-tubelesst tires on a tubeless setup. I have no knowledge or experience with their new "legit" tubeless casing. There has to be an MC Hammer reference in there somewhere...2-bliss legit or quit?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I found the only PDX downside to be going up technical hills. Specifically the bubblecross hill with the roots after the beach. I ran back to back with PDX and MXP in the back and the MXP was way, way better. Center knob on the PDX didn't allow the tire to dig in and grab roots. *maybe* lower pressure would help. Then again I'm a slow Cat 5 racer.

If I could choose only one tire it would be PDX but been happy running PDX front and PDX/MXP rear depending on the location. I'd like to get something like the LAS but can't justify buying a pair of tires for a dry course when I'm slow.

Do the tubeless PDX/MXP tires actually exist in the wild? If I didn't have a collection of tires I'd jump to those.

-Steve

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Kenda Kommando doesn't look bad as an inexpensive tubeless option with some knobs. Plus you can run 'em without underwear.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
And I haven't tried running running any of the tires tubeless but it's always the same story I hear. "They worked great until a fast turn in a race where I burped it and ended the race"

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry, rapid fire here. BTW, The Stan's NoTubes CX team was using the standard "non-tubeless" version of the Kenda tires, not the SCT ("tubeless") ones. More supple and lower weight. The SCT versions weight about 50g more per tire than the regular ones

Top Bottom