Cranks Around the Campfire Mountain Biking Festival

Questions for newbie to the event:

I know there are a bunch of scheduled rides for adults and kids, but are there any ad hoc rides that typically form during the day (i.e. for beginners).?

Any suggested loops or trail sections to try out that I could maybe go exploring with my son and his friend (i.e. short track race loop?).

My goal is to try to minimize "waiting around time" for us but not to end getting worn out too quickly that he's burnt out before lunchtime.

Maybe I can suggest if anyone has some established loops to try they can get posted here or in the event page itself for people to save to devices and go check out.

Thanks!
All great suggestions. I'd appreciate similar info. Thanks!

Questions for newbie to the event:

I know there are a bunch of scheduled rides for adults and kids, but are there any ad hoc rides that typically form during the day (i.e. for beginners).?

Any suggested loops or trail sections to try out that I could maybe go exploring with my son and his friend (i.e. short track race loop?).

My goal is to try to minimize "waiting around time" for us but not to end getting worn out too quickly that he's burnt out before lunchtime.

Maybe I can suggest if anyone has some established loops to try they can get posted here or in the event page itself for people to save to devices and go check out.

Thanks!
No ad hoc rides formed officially. There may be some formed by fellow festival attendees. I would recommend using the Trailforks App to form you own loops in the State Parks. Crossing Waterloo Road and entering into Stephens State Park will be a great place to ride mellower terrain. You can visit Waterloo Village as well on your bikes. We will have a loop marked on the camp property that will either be 2.5 or 5 miles.

No ad hoc rides formed officially. There may be some formed by fellow festival attendees. I would recommend using the Trailforks App to form you own loops in the State Parks. Crossing Waterloo Road and entering into Stephens State Park will be a great place to ride mellower terrain. You can visit Waterloo Village as well on your bikes. We will have a loop marked on the camp property that will either be 2.5 or 5 miles.

Cool thanks for the update. The marked camp loop sounds like a good place to start while we wait for any of the official group rides or clinics.

Any suggestions for the best way to get over to SSP with a map overview would
Be great. Not sure if it’s rideable or better to park closer. Don’t want to really ride along waterloo road with the kids even if they are 14.

Thanks for all the info looking forward to it.

Cool thanks for the update. The marked camp loop sounds like a good place to start while we wait for any of the official group rides or clinics.

Any suggestions for the best way to get over to SSP with a map overview would
Be great. Not sure if it’s rideable or better to park closer. Don’t want to really ride along waterloo road with the kids even if they are 14.

Thanks for all the info looking forward to it.

Ian. There are trails that lead over to Stephens, but it is much easier to ride down the BS Road onto Waterloo Road. There is a large shoulder and you would only be on Waterloo Road for 1/8 of a mile before jumping onto an old rail trail leading over to the Iron Gate. That would be my suggestion. Super easy and convenient.

Expect technical terrain but not the hardest stuff Allamuchy has to offer. There will be some decent climbs and rock gardens.
I had a hard time at Wildcat, did ok on Tourne Red, no problems whatsoever in 6MR and Allaire. Opinion? I only ask because if I am going to struggle, I won't enjoy it and I would happily then free up a spot.

Last edited:
I had a hard time at Wildcat, did ok on Tourne Red, no problems whatsoever in 6MR and Allaire. Opinion? I only ask because if I am going to struggle, I won't enjoy it and I would happily then free up a spot.
I've never been to Tourne or Wildcat but I've heard Wildcat is very challenging. @Norm @UtahJoe thoughts?

What should I expect from the intermediate ride with Lenosky? I've never been to any of these trails.

I’d say you will be ok based on the other posts. Jeff isn’t going to drag you guys through 26 miles of Mooch.

Wildcat is probably harder pound for pound. Tourne is not in the ballpark IMO.

You’ll need fitness as there’s no flat here. Mostly going up or down.

Just my $0.02. This should be a bunch more than the Tourne, but may be in line with what you rode at Wildcat....or slightly tamer. Depends on where he plans on taking the crew as there are some easier stuff (easy technically, but still a bunch of climbing).

There is a self guided loop you can take that will give you a better understanding of what to expect. If there is time to do this beforehand, I would try this out and make the decision then. I'm sure if you decide to pull out of the ride, there will be someone right there to fill your spot.

Again...just my $0.02.

wildcat is the only thing on that list in the ballpark of mooch, but if you did ok at wildcat im sure you will do fine on lenoskys ride, he knows the park and the skill set hes targeting and hes not looking to break anyone. If you want to be broken go for a ride with @JimN and let him know what you want, he will find a trail to make it happen 🤣

@iman29 in my experience, when you are there, ask your questions. There is always someone willing to lead people around, someone looking for the same thing you are that you can pair up with, and there were maps of the parks there. It’s a lot easier to get the lay of the land looking at a big map than smaller sections that you’d likely see on here. However, you can also download loops for sure. I think you pay for strava, right? If so, I’m sure we can all chime in and tell you some loops to download from people you follow.

Final comment…what @Reggie said…you’re only on the road for a very short time crossing over to Stephens.

I did an intermediate ride with Jeff at jungle. He stops to talk about approach quite a bit, so plenty of breaks. He chose a decent size log and taught us what he now calls the punch method. Set up a couple spotters and had everyone try it. It was a bit climby, but that is the only choice!

Back
Top Bottom