convert from rim brakes to disc

M

mikebike

:hmmm: I was wondering if it is worth converting my 07 fisher marlin to disc brakes. I went to my local bike shop and he gave me a price around $400.
And thought I should just buy a new bike with discs (recomened the Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. Really dont have the the money for a new bike so I was just wondering what you guys would do? I am very comfortable on the fisher but the rim brakes suck in the mud. Thats why I a looking to convert.
Thanks Mike

He's probably right. I just looked at your bike and it looks like the wheels arent disc compatable. Essentially, you would have to buy the disc brake system of your choice, then buy new disc hubs for your wheels.

It's up to you what you feel comfortable spending money on. Maybe post a "wanted" ad here, maybe someone is selling disc compatible wheels on the cheap, pick up some Avid mechanicals and your set.

Or you could just not ride in the mud.:D

I was in the same boat on my 01 Rockhopper awhile back. I actually just found a used disc front wheel, and put just a front avid mechanical disc up front where most of your braking happens anyway. It actually worked out well, for a little over $100 at the time....

The newer Marlins are set up to be ready to switch over. The stock centerlock hubs make it so all you need is 1 new brake cable, some cable housing, and 2 calipers

Found a disc wheelset that came with avid bb3s, sold the bb3s and ugraded to bb7s, put them on the bike yesterday and hit the trails. What a difference. Did the front and rear for $210.00.:D
The option for not riding in the mud is not there there are a few trails that run through swampy areas.
Sircrashalot thanks for the motivation to get me to do this.

Back
Top Bottom