Confused by bike sizing

jesstercpa

Hello folks,

Still on the hunt for a new bike to replace the antique I'm riding now.

I'm very confused about frame sizing, and and unsure about what I should be looking at.

I'm 6'0", 255 or so. Standard arm/torso/leg length. For the most part, the 'stats' would suggest I should be in a 19"/Large frame or something right there.

My only real point of reference is I currently also have a 2013 Giant Roam 3 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/roam.3/11508/55861/#geometry in a Large/21" that I feel is a bit too big. This size was recommended to me by my LBS at the time of sale.

Thanks in advance.

Jesse

You need to ride every bike you plan on purchasing to properly 'size' it. Two 19" frames from two different companies can, and probably will, be different. Wether it's geometry, seat angle, or fork travel/sag, there are too many factors in addition to the aforementioned to give you a direct answer. In general, a 19" should be ok for you. I'm 6'3" and ride a large 20.5" Marin and had a medium 18" Anthem. On the Anthem, I needed to move the saddle as far back on the rails as possible and get a longer stem than I wanted. In general, a smaller frame will be more fun to throw around, a larger frame will be more stable. If you fall in between sizes as per manufacturer recommendations, most people will say size down. Also, with new bikes these days, reach seems to be the more common measurement to go by when looking for a bike.

don't be concerned with the seat tube lengths which is what bike companies still size by, this made sense before sloping top tubes for clearance, but now top tubes are what should matter, geometry angles and stem/seatposts.

it is not uncommon for a two bikes with the same size to not fit well for one, even after stem and post adjustments. try other bikes other than a Giant or other Giants

Hello folks,

Still on the hunt for a new bike to replace the antique I'm riding now.

I'm very confused about frame sizing, and and unsure about what I should be looking at.

I'm 6'0", 255 or so. Standard arm/torso/leg length. For the most part, the 'stats' would suggest I should be in a 19"/Large frame or something right there.

My only real point of reference is I currently also have a 2013 Giant Roam 3 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/roam.3/11508/55861/#geometry in a Large/21" that I feel is a bit too big. This size was recommended to me by my LBS at the time of sale.

Thanks in advance.

Jesse

Fit is everything.

Try to imagine your center of mass equally balanced between the wheels.

It all is about fitting your torso and arms comfortably between the bars and stem.

Standover is the last qualifier and maybe the least important, yet many people fumble with standover height as their only parameter.

At 6 foot you are basically a lg or an XL in most brands of bikes. Play with both and see what works for you.

I am 5-10" and I have fairly short legs. My inseam would lead me to a med for comfortable standover height, but because my body is mostly torso and arms I choose a LG. This allows a longer cockpit. I typically need a super long stem on med to feel comfortable on a bike.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom