Columbia Trail Conditions

Robin

We did a road ride from Califon and could see a lot of CT traffic. The main parking area in Califon was packed as well but lot on Bank St had plenty of parking.

iman29

Anyone been on or near the Columbia trail today for conditions ?

I live close but didn’t get a chance to check if it’s icy before it got dark today.

Thanks.

Thor350Z

Anyone been on or near the Columbia trail today for conditions ?

I live close but didn’t get a chance to check if it’s icy before it got dark today.

Thanks.
I was on the trail between HB and the gorge this afternoon. its dry for the most part with a few icy patches scattered throughout which are avoidable.

iman29

I was on the trail between HB and the gorge this afternoon. its dry for the most part with a few icy patches scattered throughout which are avoidable.
awesome thanks, we are starting in Flanders trailhead will see how far we make it in the cold tmw.

iman29

well it was a little icy and crunchy on the Flanders/Long Valley side but I guess after the 24" of snow coming it wont matter anyway.

phillychris498

Possibility for Sat?
When I drove past the 513 entrance cross-over in Califon/Long Valley, and the Flanders entrance, it was untouched snow and the lots were plowed in. That was Tuesday evening, though, so maybe some snowshoers or anxious XC skiers have gotten to it by now.

iman29

i live right near the Flanders trailhead. I have not been past there since the storm but I am betting its a no go for this weekend as we got over 30" in this area and even with some rain coming this weekend, i highly doubt its walkable let alone rideable.

iman29

I’m gonna guess that it’s pretty much still
Buried in snow even if the XC skiers are in there gonna be rough going.

iman29

So now I can share first hand update since I live 1.5 miles from the Flanders trailhead I took a ride over.

Got about 100’ in and turned around. There is a narrow path about 8-10” wide down the middle in the packed snow filled with Ruts from people walking. The sides of that are deep snow where you sink in halfway up my calf cause I had to put a foot down. I was on 2.8 midfat tires which granted were a bit overinflated cause I was riding on the road on purpose. But I think even with a fatbike at low PSI it would not be fun to ride.

Too bad cause it was peaceful and empty. With the rain and cold coming it will
Turn to a sheet of ice.

E07471C9-54C8-4DD6-B5A4-5C8D4F00D33C.jpeg

pkovo

I rode the High Bridge end yesterday on fat tires. Started out with one main worn in path about 20" wide give or take and for some brief sections there were two worn in paths that size. A little bumpy but not terrible, and I could keep a reasonable speed for a couple miles. It steadily deteriorated the further I went until around the 2.5-3 mile mark where I had to do a walk/ride combo for a bit to make it to the bridge over the KL gorge, where I threw in the towel and dropped down to the gorge road.

Heading back on the gorge road there was a nicely worn in path around 24" wide or more that was smoother than the one on the Columbia trail and pretty easy fast riding.

Tried the Taylor Wharton green-way trail on the return and it was not well worn in at all with just a few sets of footprints. Was fun slipping and sliding down the hill, but had to walk at the bottom once I lost the help of gravity and bailed on my plan to try and make it to solitude falls.

Train-tracks in town were not ride-able at all. I thought the 4 wheeler and moto crowd would have made a path by now....damn slackers.

Overall, not the most fun riding, and hard to tie together a decent loop, but better than nothing I suppose.

Ron

Road some of the Columbia trail today. Parked at the lot past Long Valley. Rode past the Potter out towards 513. Leading up to and going away from 513 crossing is torn up from horses and covered in horse poop. It is flipping disgusting.

iman29

Road some of the Columbia trail today. Parked at the lot past Long Valley. Rode past the Potter out towards 513. Leading up to and going away from 513 crossing is torn up from horses and covered in horse poop. It is flipping disgusting.
Oh wow that’s perfect timing I swear I literally was coming on here to ask how the trail was further down towards long valley.

Well that Answers that question cause mud I can deal with but not massive piles of horse crap. It’s from the Clydesdale farm but I have never seen it as bad as you say it is. I thought they had to clean that up somehow.

Ron

Oh wow that’s perfect timing I swear I literally was coming on here to ask how the trail was further down towards long valley.

Well that Answers that question cause mud I can deal with but not massive piles of horse crap. It’s from the Clydesdale farm but I have never seen it as bad as you say it is. I thought they had to clean that up somehow.
They are required by law to pick up after themselves. Just like there are laws to protect them when we bike past them. But apparently the laws only apply to us.

xc62701

Any reports? It was a sheet of ice last weekend? I'm sure it'll be wet but will it be clear this weekend?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions