Cold weather gear

I think there's also somewhat of a "leap of faith" necessary with dressing for really frigid rides. No one wants to be caught out with not enough clothing, but it takes experience to find out what "enough" is.

Exactly! I would say if you are unsure then ride a place you know well enough that you can get back to the car in a hurry if you find yourself not warm enough. Then experiment from there.

I have been riding with my Camelbak without the bladder. I use it to carry a second pair of gloves and store my jacket if I think I might need it. I can also take my jacket off if there is a lot of climbing and put it back on for a long descent. Without the water in it, I almost don't even notice that I'm wearing it.

yesterday in the cold and wind i went with a LS jersey and my windproof patagonia jacket (http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-integral-jacket?p=24941-0-491). they changed it slightly from last year and stb will b!tch about no back pocket (again) but whateva. :)

When you gonna see the value of back pockets? Not to mention a bike specific fit. Seriously though, for this price you get a gore jecket. The only advantage to the jacket you have if you can wear it off the bike and not look like a tool. But how many of use are actually doing that other than a post-ride meal?

POCKETS!!!!

all my other jackets have pockets and even with my winter cycling glove i cant get to them while i'm riding. there is no difference to me.

and you're right, i do look good. :D

I must be the only fool riding a mtn bike with a small back pack for spare gloves, bacalava, beer, water, tools and room to put excess of clothes back into it.

The only advantage to the jacket you have if you can wear it off the bike and not look like a tool.

you implied it. ;)

as for temps from the upper 30s - upper 40s, under armor heat gear tights are great. they're not crazy expensive and do the job really well. but...they are tights.

Are thermal leg warmers any good? Do they actually stay up or do they constantly slide down?

Be careful with the size and material because some do slide down. My pearl izumi ones were sliding down last year from time to time. If you do a search on google, you'll see other people having the same problem with the PI ones.

However, this year, they never slid down, because I had them sewed to be a bit tighter. It's either that or my legs got fatter.

Thanks Soundz! I was looking at the PI's.

You might want to consider PI am fib tight bibs with windproof. I just started using them and last weekend it was 28 when we started and i was perfect. On top I use a sleeveless base layer, shortsleeve jersey and a lined PI jacket. I still cant believe my arms have nothing on them and I stay warm with that jacket. I have used leg warmers but either they dont move all day or they always move:hmmm: not sure why.

When you gonna see the value of back pockets? Not to mention a bike specific fit. Seriously though, for this price you get a gore jecket. The only advantage to the jacket you have if you can wear it off the bike and not look like a tool. But how many of use are actually doing that other than a post-ride meal?

POCKETS!!!!

I've been wearing my gore jacket quite a bit off the bike lately and its great. Although the tool part is still up for speculation :) I don't really care, im nice and toasty!

Back
Top Bottom