Cold weather gear

mani

I'm planning to ride Ringwood Sunday morning. This will be my first ride in weather in the 30s. I don't have tights. Will my snowboarding base layer with a pair of shorts be sufficient? Or do I need to hit Campmor tonight.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm planning to ride Ringwood Sunday morning. This will be my first ride in weather in the 30s. I don't have tights. Will my snowboarding base layer with a pair of shorts be sufficient? Or do I need to hit Campmor tonight.

I would say yes. If you find that your legs were cold from your ride than go to Campmor.
Usually your hands & feet get cold first. Spending money on keeping your hands and feet warm is alway $$ well spent.

rockscaler

hands and feet gear good
otherwise I say the heat is in the work but these extremities are hard to keep warm through just heavy activity

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
One piece of advice I can suggest to you is to be semi-cold when you leave the lot. The last thing you want to do is be bundled up like you are when you snowboard. You'll more than likely be sweating your ass off, then start having that sweat cool you down to the point you are shivering.

I still haven't worn anything other than a wicking warm base layer and wool socks this year. I wore leg warmers once and it was 25-28 that morning. (Half of that reason is because I don't have anything warmer) but what do I know :p I never feel cold enough to not be riding. When you do start to feel like you're getting cold, just ride harder ;)

mani

Thanks for the advice guys.

As far as starting out cold, I do the same things with snowboarding.

MikeP

One piece of advice I can suggest to you is to be semi-cold when you leave the lot. The last thing you want to do is be bundled up like you are when you snowboard. You'll more than likely be sweating your ass off, then start having that sweat cool you down to the point you are shivering.

I still haven't worn anything other than a wicking warm base layer and wool socks this year. I wore leg warmers once and it was 25-28 that morning. (Half of that reason is because I don't have anything warmer) but what do I know :p I never feel cold enough to not be riding. When you do start to feel like you're getting cold, just ride harder ;)

best advice for layering while riding, and my standard rule. I always wanna layer up for nite rides but then see that I'm not cold, also I find you can wear a little less in the woods than out on the road, because of protection from wind and riding speed.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

you are like the opposite of fred

k4z00

I threw on a long sleeve shirt, an every day hoodie, and had some fun.

Avenir Tundra or Frost Gloves are great for riding.

GratefulRider

Mani- mountain biking in the cold is not about getting warm, like snowboarding, it's about staying cool without getting cold toes and fingers. don't make the mistake that so many before you have made. Do this one time, do it right, and you won't have to do it again (for a while). Snowboarding is a totally different sport, high end base layers will double for both but that's about it.

lined tights. I prefer no chamois (i wear shorts underneath) but that's up to you.
winter shoes (not covers). I think the consensus is Lake.
Smartwool socks
high end winter gloves like Gore.
A windbreaker
A fleece with windstopper ( EMS sells an awesome 1 for about $60)
A helmet liner

I also have these things called Moose Mitts. There are other brands out there. I imagine they all work pretty well. They wrap over the bars, levers, etc and attache via velcro. I ride in any temps with these (and the stuff listed above) and I'm comfortable. Like other people said, start cold. If you are warm within the 1st 10 minutes, you're wearing too much.

last item, smear dermatone on your face to prevent frostbite/windburn.
With these items you'll be fine.

jdgang

I ride like GratefulRider

A pair of lined Brooks Pants
Burton Wool Socks
Windproof UnderArmor Gloves with Burton Fleece Liners<----My hands get cold
A burton windstopper AK flece, I love this one because its got pit zips!!!
A fleece helmet liner, which is too heavy trying to find one with a mesh top
depending on the temp either a lightweight or midweight base layer top with a tech tshirt. So far its been great....

MikeP

I ride like GratefulRider

A pair of lined Brooks Pants
Burton Wool Socks
Windproof UnderArmor Gloves with Burton Fleece Liners<----My hands get cold
A burton windstopper AK flece, I love this one because its got pit zips!!!
A fleece helmet liner, which is too heavy trying to find one with a mesh top
depending on the temp either a lightweight or midweight base layer top with a tech tshirt. So far its been great....

Love the fact you guys wear snowboard stuff to bike in. When the temps drop it's midweight Burton socks and 1st layer top under my bike clothes

jdgang

I have been riding snowboards (18 years) a lot longer then riding mt bike (1.5 years) so I had a few things laying around plus most first layer active wear whether marketed for snowboarding or biking is all the same...

zip

I wear a 100 % wool sweater as one layer. My mom knit it for me when I was in school and it is falling apart but when was the last time you saw a cold sheep?

MikeP

I have been riding snowboards (18 years) a lot longer then riding mt bike (1.5 years) so I had a few things laying around plus most first layer active wear whether marketed for snowboarding or biking is all the same...

got you beat by a few years, this will be my 21st winter. My old snowboard gets deligated to cold gear for biking.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
What does that mean?:D:hmmm::confused:
I think you have come around after some guidence from Ben, but a season ago you used to wear like 15 layers to ride the mtb.

I think maybe he meant me. But for all the flak I take, I ride outside in anything, all year. Except yesterday. Hey I just had my nails done cut me some slack.

I rode on Wednesday and it wasnt that bad, although I am in need of a pedicure in a bad way. I will ride in anything but for like an hour. You will ride in anything for like 5, so I think you take it moose mits or not.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rode on Wednesday and it wasnt that bad, although I am in need of a pedicure in a bad way. I will ride in anything but for like an hour. You will ride in anything for like 5, so I think you take it moose mits or not.

Tuesday when I was going to ride, it had dropped to 41 and raining. Normally I'd suck it up, but with this goddamn 3 week cold I couldn't think that it was going to be a good move.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The worse part about riding in cold and wet is your ass. Hands, feet, head.....that's all easy. But how do you prevent swamp rash ass? Lots of chamois butter?

Top Bottom