Cold weather clothing suggestions

my feet dont sweat :confused: they are always cool feeling. Right now I am sitting in my living room, temp in here is a delightful and comfy 68. I feel like its the perfect temp, but my feet are cooooold (and dry). so I have to throw a fuzzy blanket over them.

I will be trying the 2 toe warmers if there is enough room in my shoes...otherwise, I may have to get heated socks.

Another reason your feet may get cold is there is not enough circulation to your feet. If your shoe is stuffed too much, this can happen. You want some wriggle room. My winter shoes are like 2 sizes bigger. I have problems with my feet as well, so I have to use extreme measures.

Somewhat related note. This time of year is super important to acclimate to the colder months ahead. Don't run straight for your Tool jacket just because it's 25 degrees when you jump on the bike. It'll get warmer during the day, keep it light. Be a little cold now and let your body do what it does naturally. Then when it's in the single digits you'll be good to go.

-Jim.

I learned this from skiiing, if my feet and hands are cold, I need to wear a hat. So know I have different caps I wear under my helmet when it is getting cold out.

Over 40, I wear a light cap, under 40 I wear a wool cap. IMHO, it makes all the difference in the world.

I learned this from skiiing, if my feet and hands are cold, I need to wear a hat. So know I have different caps I wear under my helmet when it is getting cold out.

Over 40, I wear a light cap, under 40 I wear a wool cap. IMHO, it makes all the difference in the world.

remember reading that somewhere...I have a thin cap I used last winter, and recently picked up a thicker one, so will give it a try.

Stick Toastie Toes directly on your feet, no matter what the package says about applying directly to skin. Once warm put your neoprene storm socks over them and you'll be good to 18 degrees.

Also for fingers you can get winter craftsmen worker gloves at Home Depot.

Stick Toastie Toes directly on your feet, no matter what the package says about applying directly to skin. Once warm put your neoprene storm socks over them and you'll be good to 18 degrees.

I bought an economy pack from Costco and found that suffocating them renders them useless... I thought maybe opening the package 15-20 minutes prior to use would help but a few minutes in my socks/ shoes and I felt nothing... I chalked it up as my luck

Low tech/low cost foot warmers: 1 pair of "regular" cycling socks, one pair of wool cycling socks and one plastic bag large enough to fit your feet in (large lunch bags or those old newspaper bags work well.) Put the plastic bags in between the regular cycling sock with the wool sock as the outer layer. I rode these all winter last year and never had cold toes. Granted, it was a warmer than average winter, but if you'll only be riding down to 40 degrees, it'll do fine.

One thing you should definitely do is stop wearing t-shirts or anything cotton. That's probably been mentioned already, but cotton clothes get wet and stay wet. Not good. If you're actually going to be riding with any frequency, invest in some cycling specific gear or at least some running gear (tights and a base layer) to wear under cycling shorts and jersey. In 40 degrees, you probably don't really need your legs completely covered - you can get away with cheap knee warmers. And if you tend to overheat, the thickness or number of base layers would probably be lower. Personally, I usually go by feel -- I woudl rather start off cold because I know I'll heat up (and often times, so will the day if I start riding early.) So I usually try to go with a thin windproof jacket as my outermost layer and then take that off when I start to feel warm, but before I sweat.

agree with 1speed - the #1 thing you need to do is STOP WEARING COTTON. the absolutely worst material to wear in cold weather. gets wet/ stays wet. moisture is your #1 enemy in cold weather.

as others have said above. the 40s really arent that cold. if you do it right you can comfortably ride well below freezing (just takes some trial and error to see what works for you.

key things:

(1) keeping extremities warm (feet/ hands) is critical.

(2) your mom was right, all your heat goes out your head (keeping your ears warm is critical).

(3) legs and body: layer according to temp. and your own tolerance of cold.

no cotton...anywhere (no cotton socks, no cotton sweatshirts, no cotton undies)

i use a combination of wool and synthetic (drywick type) materials. layers

Back
Top Bottom