Clipless pedals. A tale of hope, love, and redemption.

I still see clippless fails. I try my best not to stair. At least Directly at them. They get the corner of the eye gaze.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried placing their cleats as far back as possible on the shoe. I hear it provides a more stable platform, better power transfer from your quads blah blah blah...

Been going on flats for ~5 years. This is the first year I've tried clipless (joining the dark side). Started off with single release and I've been cow-tipped and fallen way more times in one ride than I have ever done in my biking career. The amount of cuts and bruises on my legs was ridiculous. Forget summer dresses. I look battered. Hated it. Give it some time I said...

Then I tried multi-release and my life's gotten better. It definitely has its pros - a lot less pedal smacks and if it does smack, it's not like an angry shark chomp to the shins. Can deliver more power on the climbs and it's fucking amazing going over roots and rocks. (Plus on the weird occasions when my bad knee likes to give out, I unclip and have my good leg do all the work. I fear the day that leg is substantially more brolic than the other lol)

I'd say I swing both ways (bi-pedalist?). I haven't switched to flats yet but mostly because too lazy to change back.

Relevant: First clipless fall. Had to be on concrete. Oh the memories... :oops:
6gEJ0R8.jpg
YES! This was me, my first out-of-the-box un-instructed clipless experience, in the gravel parking lot of the Taconic 909. Except my feet stayed attached to the bike and the handlebar was squashing my leg. Add to that the dumb tree grabber 1980s bar ends and that may have been the worst day of my life on a bike. Now I ride clipless and freak out when I can't clip back in fast enough :)

I think the last time i fell in clipless was at one of @Wobbegong series of goodbye rides. Other than that, if you can't get the hang of it have 2 or 3 rides, just go back to flats. I dont remember unclipping being an issue after a few rides.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried placing their cleats as far back as possible on the shoe. I hear it provides a more stable platform, better power transfer from your quads blah blah blah...

Thant is a fit thing and may put your foot/knee in a bad spot. The ball of your foot should generally be over the axle.

I still see clippless fails. I try my best not to stair. At least Directly at them. They get the corner of the eye gaze.

I usually stare, point and laugh. It works pretty well most of the time.

One of the very few things I had no problems with in regards to cycling. I don't think I ever had a fall directly attributed to being unable to get my foot down in time. I did kick my rear brake caliper half off of my CX bike because I was mad at myself for sucking so bad and my foot wouldn't unclip, so I just yanked it out and there goes the caliper.

Because the clip is what toe clip and strap is called.

I understand why it is called that. But considering that (virtually) no one has used a toe clip in well over a decade, and considering that one clips into a "clip less" pedal the term is now kinda stupid and confusing. But whatever.

When I got my first mtb in '09 I rode with actual toe clips. I got clipless a month or two later.

My
When I got my first mtb in '09 I rode with actual toe clips. I got clipless a month or two later.
first road bike had them what a PIA to get tight but they worked... that was a bit earlier then '09.

Yes I read that too. I just picked up new shoes and pedals from Jay at Halter's (spent my $100 00 gift certificate, thanks Jay! ) and it looks like he set up the cleats like this.

On a related note, new pedals/cleats/ shoes makes it a little harder to clip out of compared to my very old pedals. I had 2 falls in the woods today because of this. Never mind, nobody was around so they did not happen. I had to loosen up the release in the middle of the ride.

I can't bunny hop for nothing...Using SPD's for last 6 years. I'm thinking about switching to flats to become better technical rider. Lot's of research out there on the net. It seems that pedaling efficiency is very marginal if you compare flats with clips.

Back
Top Bottom