Clipless MTB Shoes for Skinny Feet

phillychris498

I'll admit it, I have 1 flaw: It's my skinny feet. I just bought new mountain bike shoes, but my ankle slips out of them a bit even when I tighten the boas around my feet because of how skinny they are. :(

Any recommendations for a.) what I could do to make these shoes fit better or b.) a pair of clipless MTB shoes that run skinny?

I have a pair of Northwaves Sceam Plus shoes that I bought that are for narrow feet. Didn't know until after a couple rides they are too narrow and caused cramps. I consider my feet relatively normal. Size 45's. Just up here in Flanders if size is close and want to try them on or test.

The skinniest cycling shoes I have found are sidi’s. I have always had issues getting shoes tight enough and am always maxed out with the boa or straps. Lace up shoes seem to allow for the tightest fit.

I second trying on some sidis, definitely the skinniest I’ve worn.

I also have small, skinny, ballerina feet. I'm 6'2" and wear a men's size 9. For my running shoes, I've switched exclusively to wearing woman's shoes (W 10.5). Yes, they're strong enough for a man, but made for a woman. They fit so much better, and I can actually tighten the laces. It's a consideration if you're coming up empty.

That being said, I also have two pair of clipless shoes. One Bontrager and one specialized. I'll check out the models when I get home and will update.

I also have small, skinny, ballerina feet. I'm 6'2" and wear a men's size 9. For my running shoes, I've switched exclusively to wearing woman's shoes (W 10.5). Yes, they're strong enough for a man, but made for a woman. They fit so much better, and I can actually tighten the laces. It's a consideration if you're coming up empty.

That being said, I also have two pair of clipless shoes. One Bontrager and one specialized. I'll check out the models when I get home and will update.
Please let me know!

The skinniest cycling shoes I have found are sidi’s. I have always had issues getting shoes tight enough and am always maxed out with the boa or straps. Lace up shoes seem to allow for the tightest fit.
I had a pair of Sidis that did fit pretty well. My issue with their shoes is that they don't have a shoe with a reinforced sole, such that I end up wearing out the carbon on the bottoms. I do a lot of technical riding and the minimalist tread doesn't help in the hike-a-bike sections. I wore through a pair of Dragons in 2 years. I was hoping the Lake shoes I just bought would help with that, but they're just too wide.

I had a pair of Sidis that did fit pretty well. My issue with their shoes is that they don't have a shoe with a reinforced sole, such that I end up wearing out the carbon on the bottoms. I do a lot of technical riding and the minimalist tread doesn't help in the hike-a-bike sections. I wore through a pair of Dragons in 2 years. I was hoping the Lake shoes I just bought would help with that, but they're just too wide.
You may want to consider something like this:
https://www.backcountry.com/five-ten-kestrel-pro-boa-shoe-mens or the lace version.
I have the hellcats and they may be a tad on the wide side.

My Giro VR 90s are way thinner than my new Shimano s-phyres. Not sure that helps but...

My Giro VR 90s are way thinner than my new Shimano s-phyres. Not sure that helps but...
Haha, this in tandem with the note from @stb222 about lace-ups is helpful.

I'm wondering if the VR70 knits would be similar. Of course, the first thing I should do is sell the Lakes I bought and have 2 rides on...

I have narrow feet.

Years ago I had Sidi Dominators and could not get them tight enough to not come off like a slipper. This was back in the 90's, tho...

For years I wore Nike Cairns which I could actually get too tight, but they all aged out and/or broke.

Right now, when I'm not wearing flat pedal shoes, my clipless XC shoes are Shimano - which is somewhat amusing since I have run Crank Bros pedals for 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom