Clipless MTB Shoes for Skinny Feet

phillychris498

I'll admit it, I have 1 flaw: It's my skinny feet. I just bought new mountain bike shoes, but my ankle slips out of them a bit even when I tighten the boas around my feet because of how skinny they are. :(

Any recommendations for a.) what I could do to make these shoes fit better or b.) a pair of clipless MTB shoes that run skinny?

chuprinko

I have a pair of Northwaves Sceam Plus shoes that I bought that are for narrow feet. Didn't know until after a couple rides they are too narrow and caused cramps. I consider my feet relatively normal. Size 45's. Just up here in Flanders if size is close and want to try them on or test.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The skinniest cycling shoes I have found are sidi’s. I have always had issues getting shoes tight enough and am always maxed out with the boa or straps. Lace up shoes seem to allow for the tightest fit.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I second trying on some sidis, definitely the skinniest I’ve worn.

rosceaux

I also have small, skinny, ballerina feet. I'm 6'2" and wear a men's size 9. For my running shoes, I've switched exclusively to wearing woman's shoes (W 10.5). Yes, they're strong enough for a man, but made for a woman. They fit so much better, and I can actually tighten the laces. It's a consideration if you're coming up empty.

That being said, I also have two pair of clipless shoes. One Bontrager and one specialized. I'll check out the models when I get home and will update.

phillychris498

I also have small, skinny, ballerina feet. I'm 6'2" and wear a men's size 9. For my running shoes, I've switched exclusively to wearing woman's shoes (W 10.5). Yes, they're strong enough for a man, but made for a woman. They fit so much better, and I can actually tighten the laces. It's a consideration if you're coming up empty.

That being said, I also have two pair of clipless shoes. One Bontrager and one specialized. I'll check out the models when I get home and will update.
Please let me know!

phillychris498

The skinniest cycling shoes I have found are sidi’s. I have always had issues getting shoes tight enough and am always maxed out with the boa or straps. Lace up shoes seem to allow for the tightest fit.
I had a pair of Sidis that did fit pretty well. My issue with their shoes is that they don't have a shoe with a reinforced sole, such that I end up wearing out the carbon on the bottoms. I do a lot of technical riding and the minimalist tread doesn't help in the hike-a-bike sections. I wore through a pair of Dragons in 2 years. I was hoping the Lake shoes I just bought would help with that, but they're just too wide.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I had a pair of Sidis that did fit pretty well. My issue with their shoes is that they don't have a shoe with a reinforced sole, such that I end up wearing out the carbon on the bottoms. I do a lot of technical riding and the minimalist tread doesn't help in the hike-a-bike sections. I wore through a pair of Dragons in 2 years. I was hoping the Lake shoes I just bought would help with that, but they're just too wide.
You may want to consider something like this:
https://www.backcountry.com/five-ten-kestrel-pro-boa-shoe-mens or the lace version.
I have the hellcats and they may be a tad on the wide side.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My Giro VR 90s are way thinner than my new Shimano s-phyres. Not sure that helps but...

phillychris498

My Giro VR 90s are way thinner than my new Shimano s-phyres. Not sure that helps but...
Haha, this in tandem with the note from @stb222 about lace-ups is helpful.

I'm wondering if the VR70 knits would be similar. Of course, the first thing I should do is sell the Lakes I bought and have 2 rides on...

Ian F

I have narrow feet.

Years ago I had Sidi Dominators and could not get them tight enough to not come off like a slipper. This was back in the 90's, tho...

For years I wore Nike Cairns which I could actually get too tight, but they all aged out and/or broke.

Right now, when I'm not wearing flat pedal shoes, my clipless XC shoes are Shimano - which is somewhat amusing since I have run Crank Bros pedals for 20 years.

Top Bottom