Chimney Rock Conditions

stilluf

This morning we rode white - ballfields yellow red. Ballfields should be avoided (including new GIlbride trail); very muddy. Everything else was mostly good with some mud.

big tree down on upper red connector, at the switch back, blocking the trail.

thegock

Watchung is fine. Just muddy in the real low spots: most of which have go arounds. i hiked there today.

#getsome

qclabrat

I'm going to guess conditions will still be muddy for a after work ride?

like to know as well, my yard is much drier today, again for those you don't know is a relatively good gauge for conditions.
I'd say tomorrow after work is a good possibility. Would love to join you, but have class till 8pm. Let us know how it turned out

Kangdoy

like to know as well, my yard is much drier today, again for those you don't know is a relatively good gauge for conditions.
I'd say tomorrow after work is a good possibility. Would love to join you, but have class till 8pm. Let us know how it turned out

Eh, I don't want to go unless I hear if someone did a recon today or early tomorrow morning.

Gnarles

Ran (not biked) around millers lane today, not great but i think its bikeable if you have respect for certain spots. Yellow and orange are normally in better shape than the rest of the park but if your plan your ride and only hit the "High" ground id say let em roll...if your a blue trail, reservoir coast loving hippy then beat it!!!! learn how to ride rock like the rest of us!!!!!

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rode today at 3pm. Some standing water and some mud but nothing crazy. I avoided blue and white for obvious reasons, though. Everything else was rideable. Should get better over the next few days!

Kangdoy

Anyone get out there yesterday or doing a morning recon? Bought my bike to work and was looking to get out there later this afternoon since SixMile is still drenched...

Off The Road Again

I rode yesterday too, rode White (not the lower part) and it was in good condition. Rode just about all of Red and it was a little muddy at the usual spots in middle Red. Rode Blue, the outer trail, and surprisingly it was in pretty good condition. There's a big tree down on outer Red right on the big rock some riders apparently try to go over (the newer re-worked section from a couple years ago. It looks like someone tried to close the trail off from the top section - near the two rock rollers. Other than the downed tree, trail was fine.

FitmanNJ

I rode Chimney Rock and the trails were generally in good (dry) shape. It was a good time…with one exception. I went down (fortunately, not too hard) going around that stagnant pond in the remote part of White. When I dusted myself off and began trying to ride, I heard something seemingly caught in my rear spokes. I found…FISHING LINE wound around my left crank arm and rear hub. It appeared to be anchored by an empty commercial water bottle, and had a loop tied on the other end:

1528589902980.png

Although there may be some legitimate explanation, it certainly looks like someone tried to “clothes line” me. I called into the Somerset County Parks Commission to report the incident (left a voice message, of course, being the weekend), and I went over to the Bridgewater P.D. and told my story. I imagine that there’s little they can do, but at least it establishes a record of the incident. Not that you can see fishing line while riding, but be careful out there!

qclabrat

I rode Chimney Rock and the trails were generally in good (dry) shape. It was a good time…with one exception. I went down (fortunately, not too hard) going around that stagnant pond in the remote part of White. When I dusted myself off and began trying to ride, I heard something seemingly caught in my rear spokes. I found…FISHING LINE wound around my left crank arm and rear hub. It appeared to be anchored by an empty commercial water bottle, and had a loop tied on the other end:

View attachment 70299

Although there may be some legitimate explanation, it certainly looks like someone tried to “clothes line” me. I called into the Somerset County Parks Commission to report the incident (left a voice message, of course, being the weekend), and I went over to the Bridgewater P.D. and told my story. I imagine that there’s little they can do, but at least it establishes a record of the incident. Not that you can see fishing line while riding, but be careful out there!
Wow that sucks, hopefully it was unintentional. We used to fish that way when we didn't have enough poles for everyone

FitmanNJ

Wow that sucks, hopefully it was unintentional. We used to fish that way when we didn't have enough poles for everyone
Yes, the plastic bottle could be used as a float, so I guess there’s a legitimate use for a setup like that.I’m not sure what it was doing up in the trail area where it could become wound up in my drivetrain. I hope it was just a mix-up...

Jrzjoe

Lots of standing water in the 100 yards or so that I did. Newman’s lane lot was closed for construction vehicles.
Find somewhere else to ride.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions