Chimney Rock Conditions

Rode Ballfield and Yellow this morning. Generally good, a few trees down on the middle Yellow from 4-way. WARNING: ANGRY YELLOWJACKET nest on ground or fallen tree on High Tech/Vosseler just before switchback climb out. One of us got stung, but the bees were getting riled up. The rest of us turned around. Ran into Kirt later in ride and told him. He said he might hike in there in the evening to spray. Hate to see them get killed, but they're right on the trail and will sting because they can without dying.

932ECB1F-C49D-40F9-AD81-59B5EA0392AF.jpeg
Did a full recon on yellow and 9 total trees down, worse than I was lead to believe. The ones on the lower/river trail are now cleared. Also some canopies of others encroaching, making the trail tight. The worse is the one at the top of IMBA (pic), it’s huge and it’s root ball is totally blocking. May need a reroute. I’d say this will take a bit to all get cleaned up. So yes, rideable but you will need to dismount a fair amount.
42930BA3-449D-4A82-A15C-184DE18C0E44.jpeg

Rode Ballfield and Yellow this morning. Generally good, a few trees down on the middle Yellow from 4-way. WARNING: ANGRY YELLOWJACKET nest on ground or fallen tree on High Tech/Vosseler just before switchback climb out. One of us got stung, but the bees were getting riled up. The rest of us turned around. Ran into Kirt later in ride and told him. He said he might hike in there in the evening to spray. Hate to see them get killed, but they're right on the trail and will sting because they can without dying.

So I read this yesterday, but for some reason the only thing I paid attention to was the number of trees down as stated by @Kirt . Woke up to do a few laps on Yellow and just avoid the rest of the park. Stepped over the tree with the F'N ANGRY BEES and started getting stung. As I was was sprinting away from them I suddenly remembered reading your warning. Well that hurts. I think it's only 3 stings, but the throbbing in my legs makes it feel like more.

So I read this yesterday, but for some reason the only thing I paid attention to was the number of trees down as stated by @Kirt . Woke up to do a few laps on Yellow and just avoid the rest of the park. Stepped over the tree with the F'N ANGRY BEES and started getting stung. As I was was sprinting away from them I suddenly remembered reading your warning. Well that hurts. I think it's only 3 stings, but the throbbing in my legs makes it feel like more.
It's been over 24 hrs since I was stung, still feel it. Only got me one time, and I was the first rider. Could have been worse.
3X is gonna be painful.

Amazing the damage, has to be more than hurricane Sandy, or possibly Floyd.

It's been over 24 hrs since I was stung, still feel it. Only got me one time, and I was the first rider. Could have been worse.
3X is gonna be painful.

Amazing the damage, has to be more than hurricane Sandy, or possibly Floyd.

Glad the I got the one out of my helmet before it stung me. Definitely gets the blood flowing.

hr.jpg

Oh yeah, that will get your heart rate up!!

I've been witness to swarming ground brown bees. Not sure what they are called. Small and brown, and yes they will chase a biker over 40 feet.

Hiked yellow this morning. Looks like 3 trees plus 2 other messy areas on Main Vein were cleaned up over the weekend. I think everything on the river side of Miller Lane on yellow is clear.

Did not get over to the High Tech side.

These douche nozzles that keep reopening the Kram’s Klimb shortcuts will wake up soon with a pox on their collective houses.

Define Krams Klimb, do not see it on the map.

So, if you leave Gilbride on either trail and cross the flat wooden bridge (Which the rain slightly displaced, but that is another story...), then bear left up the stream instead of right on Train Simulator, you are on Krams. This takes you up to the four way (EDIT: just past where the Strava segment ends, per @fidodie), where you can go straight up to Millers Lane parking lot (and Herb's Museum!),

Buff Herb IMG_20161222_135653 (002).jpg

right down Granola to the fire road, or left up Diagonal which takes you to Miller Lane east of the lot.

Last edited:
Oh, ok. Was there Saturday, did not notice any short cuts blocked. Did notice some unblocked left at the 4 way.

JFI, Krams, we call that around the horn. Because back in the day after crossing the small creek (with the wooden bridge) the trail used to go straight up. Going left was easier.

JFI, Krams, we call that around the horn

I like this. In my head I just rename it "Kram it up your ass" for no good reason - it's just something my brain does.

We should probably name all these trails in an official MTBNJ context then make a map. Trailforks could use some help here too. Pretty lame on the app.

Update 7/29. Yellow tree down count is at 3. Making progress. Trials from Miller lot, thru twistys, down to bottom of HT switchbacks and back up to 4 way via open space have been trimmed of all arm scrapers and large debris with the help of fireman J. We also went down to spray the nest. Thinking it was in the tree I start shaking it and nothing. All of a sudden he's yelling to run. Ground hornet nest right at my back and 100's being pouring out. He got tagged, I somehow didn't. We emptied 2 large cans of spray but didn't hang around to see if it is totally safe. May grab a couple more and go back tomorrow to be sure.

Drove by Newmans and it's still closed. Lot looks blown clean and dumpster is gone. All trails heads on blue, red and white are still taped off. Not sure of anything beyond that over there.

Update 7/29. Yellow tree down count is at 3. Making progress. Trials from Miller lot, thru twistys, down to bottom of HT switchbacks and back up to 4 way via open space have been trimmed of all arm scrapers and large debris with the help of fireman J. We also went down to spray the nest. Thinking it was in the tree I start shaking it and nothing. All of a sudden he's yelling to run. Ground hornet nest right at my back and 100's being pouring out. He got tagged, I somehow didn't. We emptied 2 large cans of spray but didn't hang around to see if it is totally safe. May grab a couple more and go back tomorrow to be sure.

Drove by Newmans and it's still closed. Lot looks blown clean and dumpster is gone. All trails heads on blue, red and white are still taped off. Not sure of anything beyond that over there.

I'n not much of a runner, but those things sure motivate you.

There was a large tree down on the HT switchbacks, it's blocking the "V" shaped ditch. Did you get that cleared? Its fairly large.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions