Chain Wax Discussion thread

ebarker9

I have the small Harbor Freight one and it's...ok, but I've been considering something larger/more powerful. Most of what people suggest is just the random Amazon/Ebay models and getting something that fits the largest parts that you'd want to put in there. One person on another forum was using the 13L version of this, but anything comparable is likely fine:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
SILCA just came out with this stuff. Supposed to remove factory grease and be ready for wax in 10 minutes. If it works as advertised, that’s pretty good. Someone should drop the $ and let me know how it works.

carvegybe

SILCA just came out with this stuff. Supposed to remove factory grease and be ready for wax in 10 minutes. If it works as advertised, that’s pretty good. Someone should drop the $ and let me know how it works.

This should save a bunch of time.

02camaro

I was considering getting an ultrasonic cleaner for bike parts and other things. Like anyone over the other?
i have a generic ebay one, complete with spelling errors and chin-glish instructions on the front of it. they all probably come from the same factory so just get the one with the best price. i have nothing to compare it too but it seems to work fine, heats up, does the sonic magic stuff comes out cleaner than before.

rlb

Looks like the new silca stuff is meant for new chains. I'm wondering if using this as a final step in prepping a used chain would work out?

Screenshot_20230605-123824.png

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do

Just use gasoline followed by acetone.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
On a side note I did an xc race on a freshly waxed new chain(silca wax). It was 4 laps and you had 3 water crossings per lap. That was enough squealing to drive me nuts in under 2 hours. I love wax on the road bike but considering I race longer races where you often go through mud or water wax may not be the best option?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just use gasoline followed by acetone.
does that work in 10 minutes? Ive never tried gas. Just mineral spirits.

They say this stuff works in 10 minutes, is biodegradable, and helps the wax stick to the chain better. Seems too good to be true, so maybe someone should buy it and try it. I have a 2 chain rotation and they are both showing zero wear, so I dont think I'll be cleaning a new chain any time soon.

ebarker9

I have a new chain that I may give this a try on. I'd definitely prefer to use something less severe than gasoline if possible. That always feels like the nuclear option. I'm also wondering if some of the drip wax lubes are getting good enough that there's less of a point to doing full immersion waxing.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
does that work in 10 minutes? Ive never tried gas. Just mineral spirits.

They say this stuff works in 10 minutes, is biodegradable, and helps the wax stick to the chain better. Seems too good to be true, so maybe someone should buy it and try it. I have a 2 chain rotation and they are both showing zero wear, so I dont think I'll be cleaning a new chain any time soon.
Sure it makes the wax stick better. Any contaminant free surface makes it stick better. I cleaned air filters for dirt bikes in has and the oil was dissolved in seconds. Acetone will leave it residue free.

Top Bottom