Celiac

Heidi

Hey..anyone on here with celiac? ( or is strictly gluten free for other reasons...I'm not picky). Both my kids and my husband have it...raging , villi-killing Celiac.

One of the reasons I can make time to ride certain places, is, I can make myself useful by finding gluten free food in suburban grocery stores. For example, I drive 30 miles to get them English Muffins. 100 miles round trip so they can have chicken nuggets.

Luckily, these trips coordinate very nicely with Sprain Ridge, and Waway/Mountain Creek, respectively. I'm Bronx based.

Anyone else on here that deals with this? i'd love to exchange info...and find some new sources near other riding spots :) Thx

jackx

Whole Foods has a decent gluten-free offerings, albeit expensive. The Yonkers Whole Foods is probably not too far from the Bronx.
Prices seem much lower at Wegmans supermarket. There is a Wegmans in Raritan NJ on Route 202, a few miles west of the 202/206 circle near Bridgewater mall. This Wegmans is about 8 miles from Chimney Rock (properly known as Washington Valley Park).

jnos

If you go to Trader Joe's, they have a list of all the gluten free products that they sell.

Heidi

Thanks guys...you're right, we get to Whole Foods (REALLY close to Sprain) and TJ a lot. Good to know about Wegman's. It will give me an excuse to ride Chimney Rock sometime.

The one store I always look for is Shop-Rite. The one in Warwick has an amazing selection. They have the "good" chicken nuggets, the ones that make my like so much easier. Croissants, even.

So today, I am heading to the KVSP pre-ride...I will be passing a Shop Rite in Stanhope, and also Netcong long the way. I wonder if those are good with the gluten free stuff. We have some Shop-Rites by us in Yonkers, and they suck for that. Warwick seems to be a charm, and near some phenomenal riding too.

mpope68

I was actually diagnosed with celaic late last summer and it has been a big change for our household dealing with all the cross contamination issues.

Luckily, I have the Wegmans in Bridwater in the next town over which has been a real blessing. I find that it is hardest just trying to find out which products are actually gluten free. My experience is that even though some things might not have gluten containing ingredients they can still be cross contaminated by being processed on equipment that processes foods containing gluten. This is where Wegmans is awesome. All their branded food is clearly labled with a "g" if it is gluten free. Makes shopping so much easier.

As far as finding gluten free alternatives to the bread products it really is just trial and error. There are only a couple of mass produced breads that are any good and I find that even some of the gluten free bakeries are hit and miss with their products.

Unfortunately, you are just going to have to keep and eye out and find out what works for you. For example, we have (3) Shop-Rites close to us and each greatly differ on what gluten free products they offer. My wife just stopped by one of the ones close to her work today and was suprised that they had some baked goods that are not carried in the other stores.

qclabrat

my friend's daughter has a really bad case of this. Unfortunately most gluten free advertised foods are not manufactured in gluten free facilities, which means there will be traces. They are marketed for those not wanting gluten in their diets, not target for those with celiac disease. For that reason, they make everything for her from scratch. When they come by, she will bring her own food, and only eat unprocessed foods like cut fruit or unseasoned meat. If you haven't already, check out the celiac foundation, they have lots of good resources

jnos

http://www.bobsredmill.com/

They are pretty serious about eliminating cross contamination (completely separate processing and packaging lines in separate rooms with separate air filtration). Shop-Rite carries a lot of their stuff and they also have an online store for anything that Shop-Rite doesn't have.

Heidi

M Pope, really sorry about the recent DX. But, as I'm sure you've been reminded, at least it's not something worse. My husband is 6'2" and down to 125 lbs at the time of his diagnosis. So, at the time celiac was kind a a 'relief'...but it's a long term quality of life issue for sure. Our entire lives changed. This was in 1998, there was NOTHING out there outside the home to eat.

And he is so sensitive, an accidental crumb could put him flat-out for days. It will really take you years to develop your routines and they'll keep evolving. See above...we lost our one local source for an item (this http://www.goldenplatter.com/products/) , and now I"m trying to find new sources. Right now the only one I know is Shop Rite Warwick. Ditto about the product assortments. In Warwick Shop Rite, they have stuff called "Promise" GF....made in ireland, my son loves the raisin bagels and the lemon cake.

One silver lining to all the change that Celiac has brought on us. In forcing us to be more self-reliant, (like QC points out), we just kind of went full on and started camping as a family, and got a lot of joy out of that. We even drove across the USA camping the whole way. I really wouldn't have imagined myself the camping type, but I love the freedom, and since going to a hotel is like camping anyway, for a celiac....might as well save a bunch of money and just camp. ;-) You're also gpnna be way healthier in the long run, but you knew that.

mpope68

The whole cross contamination thing is super scary. I am "trying" to live completely gulten free, but I'm still trying to get my levels back down to the "normal" range so I don't know if I'm still being contaminated. Like qclabrat indicated, some products could be labled as gluten free for the lack of gluten containing ingredients, but could still pose the cross contamination risk.

Getting back to the original question, I have neven seen the product you linked. Must be something local. What we buy is the Perdue "Simply Smart" chicken nuggets / tenders. They aren't bad and easy to find in the local stores. An added plus is that they are only slightly more expensive than the regular products and not nearly as expensive as the specialty products.

https://www.perdue.com/products/per...e-breaded-chicken-breast-tenders-18-oz/80589/

Teresah00

I don't do gluten, grain, dairy and soy. No real suggestions for substitutes as I just don't do them. I've heard there's a good gluten free bread at target. I do a lot of shopping online at Amazon, thrive market or vitacost. Shop at wegmans or whole foods.

Top Bottom