Cars, it's electric! Do Do Do

THATmanMANNY

No doubt diesel can go far. My sis has a Vw. 200k still going. I used to borrow it to travel.

But imagine a world where most cars are diesel. Oh wait…
4B0FE9FA-047D-4C95-88F7-C066C583046F.jpeg

Ian F

Part of me wants an EV for the "don't have to buy gas" part, but since WFH started that has become less of an issue. These days I rarely buy gas more than once a month. The main reason I sold my TDI was I just stopped needing a car like that. The minivan fits my current needs more. For years I was hoping for the VW Buzz, but so far it doesn't look like a winner for me. The really big issue (at least from the recent Doug video on the pre-production model) is the seats can't be removed. While I can accept losing the Stow-n-Go of the GC, a van in my fleet will still need to be a cargo van 99% of the time (I literally have not seen the middle or rear seats in my van in over two years). If that feature isn't "fixed" in the version the US gets in 2024, then the Buzz no longer is an option for me. I don't "do" bike racks, for the most part. The bikes go inside.

That said, I don't see myself ever going all EV. I have a small fleet of classic cars as well as a desire for a camper van and to travel into the middle of nowhere far from anything. Perhaps when solar panels can be integrated into an awning fitted to both sides of a van, maybe solar charging an EV might become viable in limited circumstances. Maybe. Being able to stop and roll out some ?000W of solar could actually recharge a battery bank in a reasonable amount of time. After some preliminary Google-fu, we're not quite there yet, but it seems folks are working on it. We'll see.

Until then, I can stomach paying more for gas. The gas companies will gouge whenever they can. That's capitalism for you. Still not as a bad as the post-Katrina prices back in 2005, adjusted for inflation. Although I had the TDI back then and diesel wasn't affected by the price hikes as much. Filling the old E150 van was eye-watering tho. I remember the pump nearing $100 a couple of times to fill both tanks. And $100 meant a lot more to me back then than it does now.

rick81721

Lothar
Part of me wants an EV for the "don't have to buy gas" part, but since WFH started that has become less of an issue. These days I rarely buy gas more than once a month. The main reason I sold my TDI was I just stopped needing a car like that. The minivan fits my current needs more. For years I was hoping for the VW Buzz, but so far it doesn't look like a winner for me. The really big issue (at least from the recent Doug video on the pre-production model) is the seats can't be removed. While I can accept losing the Stow-n-Go of the GC, a van in my fleet will still need to be a cargo van 99% of the time (I literally have not seen the middle or rear seats in my van in over two years). If that feature isn't "fixed" in the version the US gets in 2024, then the Buzz no longer is an option for me. I don't "do" bike racks, for the most part. The bikes go inside.

That said, I don't see myself ever going all EV. I have a small fleet of classic cars as well as a desire for a camper van and to travel into the middle of nowhere far from anything. Perhaps when solar panels can be integrated into an awning fitted to both sides of a van, maybe solar charging an EV might become viable in limited circumstances. Maybe. Being able to stop and roll out some ?000W of solar could actually recharge a battery bank in a reasonable amount of time. After some preliminary Google-fu, we're not quite there yet, but it seems folks are working on it. We'll see.

Until then, I can stomach paying more for gas. The gas companies will gouge whenever they can. That's capitalism for you. Still not as a bad as the post-Katrina prices back in 2005, adjusted for inflation. Although I had the TDI back then and diesel wasn't affected by the price hikes as much. Filling the old E150 van was eye-watering tho. I remember the pump nearing $100 a couple of times to fill both tanks. And $100 meant a lot more to me back then than it does now.

Don't know how long it took but at our community car show last year a guy was charging his Tesla with a golf cart with solar panels on the roof:

20210410_105149.jpg

one piece crank

No doubt diesel can go far. My sis has a Vw. 200k still going. I used to borrow it to travel.

But imagine a world where most cars are diesel. Oh wait…
Agreed, diesel is pretty much dead. I will always have my '65 Rover apocalypse vehicle, and we'll likely get one EV as a bridge to fuel cells (and to balance out that Grenadier purchase). Fuel is just another necessity - if I need it it I buy it - no other thought given or wasted.....

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I got a buddy in the Midwest that charges his Model S 2 maybe 3x a week at his office. He’s paid exactly zero dollhairs over the past three years.
You can file that under the heading “Does Not Suck”.
Yes but a model S STARTS at $100,000 and goes to almost $150k...I cant imagine you care that much about gas prices when you spend that much on a car.

Im still waiting for something that I can replace my focus with....~300-350 miles of range, $25k....shouldnt be too hard.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I saw the video of the VW Buzz the other day also. My excitement level was so high until he showed the rear seats not coming out.

My biggest issue right now with most electric cars is rear cargo space, specifically to hold a bike. It's even an issue in many crossover SUVs. I'd like to take a look closer at the new Bolt EUV but I'm willing to bet it also can't fit a bike in the back easily. When we were shopping for my wife's crossover we found that a hybrid version would not fit a bike as the back seats wouldn't fold flat due to the battery placement.

That being said, just because the seats don't come out...doesn't mean the seats don't come out. I'm sure it's just 4 bolts per seat. Took the rear driver's side seat out of my Honda Fit a month after buying the car and haven't put it back in years.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Yes but a model S STARTS at $100,000 and goes to almost $150k...I cant imagine you care that much about gas prices when you spend that much on a car.

Im still waiting for something that I can replace my focus with....~300-350 miles of range, $25k....shouldnt be too hard.
The average new car price in the US is now over $45k. Good luck with anything for $25k these days. Maybe a nice E-Bike.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I saw the video of the VW Buzz the other day also. My excitement level was so high until he showed the rear seats not coming out.

My biggest issue right now with most electric cars is rear cargo space, specifically to hold a bike. It's even an issue in many crossover SUVs. I'd like to take a look closer at the new Bolt EUV but I'm willing to bet it also can't fit a bike in the back easily. When we were shopping for my wife's crossover we found that a hybrid version would not fit a bike as the back seats wouldn't fold flat due to the battery placement.

That being said, just because the seats don't come out...doesn't mean the seats don't come out. I'm sure it's just 4 bolts per seat. Took the rear driver's side seat out of my Honda Fit a month after buying the car and haven't put it back in years.

I had to remove the third row from my Suburban because they just wasted so much space. I think it was more like 30 bolts per seat, so good luck to the dealer I trade this in to.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The average new car price in the US is now over $45k. Good luck with anything for $25k these days. Maybe a nice E-Bike.
Plenty of cars you can buy (current chip shortage market shortages not with standing) for 25k......I mean just because the average american chooses to leverage themselves with 7-8 year car loans and drown themselves in debt with shit they cant afford....its not everyone.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's

So does an RS6, M5, or whatever janky AMG is similar. While he may not "care" about what he spends on gas, he has spent exactly 0.00 seconds at the pump in three years.
1648564951161.gif

Ian F

Don't know how long it took but at our community car show last year a guy was charging his Tesla with a golf cart with solar panels on the roof:

View attachment 181812
Hard to know for sure, but often when something like this happens, a full charge isn't the goal. They often only need enough of a charge to get to the next charging station. A guitarist in Cali I follow on YouTube mentioned that recently. He was driving to his studio and the car (Model 3) dinged at him, "find charger NOW!" He got off at the next exit, found a charger and plugged in for 10 minutes which gave him enough power to get to the studio where he could plug in for the rest of the day while working.

So it's easy to see pictures of EVs like this and make fun of them, but they tend to be outliers and real world use is more nuanced. As someone who tends to push the limits of a gas tank, owning an EV would take some adjustment for me, but just being able to plug in at home would still be a benefit overall. When I was working in NJ and driving a TDI (~50 MPG), I was still buying diesel every 4 days. When the first minivan was a DD, it was every 3 days. Buying fuel so often gets effing annoying and that's why I wanted an EV. Less to do with any perceived environmental impact or money savings and more just pure laziness.

THATmanMANNY

@UtahJoe dammmmn. It's evident the CT was not Tesla's priority for 2.5 years. Just get that cash for the giga factories.

OTOH, spring break and doing a lot of day trips. We've driven 600+ electric miles in 5 days with no network charges.

Last edited:

one piece crank

Scout to Return in 2026 as VW's EV Off-Road Brand

db2022nr00048-large-1652293807.jpg

JerseyPete

I was at the Tesla place in Paramus and I watched different people picking up their new cars. There was one young girl who was getting a Model X. Her dad was taking plenty of pictures of her. Then I watched her fling the driver's door into the new car next to hers and drive off.

One guy picking up a S Plaid was very cautious and nervous driving it. What could have been a 3 point turn was more like 6.

Top Bottom