Car-spotting thread

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I guess. I do like that color and the blacked out wheels.

the one thing it is good for, is destroying the hondas and toyotas etc that have no clue what it is.......no turning allowed.
previous owner had it stanced, with gold wheels. yuck.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I should find that guy and ask him if he bought that car off my father....

Circa 1968 at E-town

1962 Corvette 001.jpg

cool - I had the year range correct at least :D
You were close....some easy details to spot....Newer style 4 bullet taillights were add in 1961....So if you see one with 4 head lights and bullet taillights it can only be 61 or 62....and only 62s had matching color scallops. 63 was the first year of the C3, stingray, etc..

Captain Brainstorm

Eh I'm a Ford guy and thought I'd never buy a GM vehicle but this is the first new vette I'd consider.

For the last 2 years I've been looking at used Porsches, came close to pulling the trigger on a couple of Cayman/718's. I didn't consider a C7, but the C8 really has me wondering. Why should I buy a Cayman/718 instead of this? Resale isn't a good reason, since the Cayman/718's don't hold their value any better than anything else, and if the C8 lives up to the hype, it should smoke just about every Porsche but the $200k + GT cars. No one has driven the car yet, so I'm waiting to see what the feedback is. The C7 is already a performance monster, so I doubt the C8 will perform worse. The interior looks fine to me, so lets see how they executed the other details, what the fit and finish is like.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For the last 2 years I've been looking at used Porsches, came close to pulling the trigger on a couple of Cayman/718's. I didn't consider a C7, but the C8 really has me wondering. Why should I buy a Cayman/718 instead of this? Resale isn't a good reason, since the Cayman/718's don't hold their value any better than anything else, and if the C8 lives up to the hype, it should smoke just about every Porsche but the $200k + GT cars. No one has driven the car yet, so I'm waiting to see what the feedback is. The C7 is already a performance monster, so I doubt the C8 will perform worse. The interior looks fine to me, so lets see how they executed the other details, what the fit and finish is like.
I would hope that it performs better as a mid engine. Now that it is mid engine, I wouldn't mind getting one for free.

rick81721

Lothar

Yeah that's why I want to see one

Captain Brainstorm

Yeah that's why I want to see one

I think the newer Vettes get a bit of a bad rap on the interiors, I don't see whats so horrible on the C7's, the interior is entirely appropriate on a $50-70k car. The interiors on the Porsches are nothing to write home about for an$80k + car, and what you get standard is deplorable. You have to spend another $5-6k to get what everyone else gets standard on a $30k VW. Having driven German cars for the last 20yrs, I can tell you that they're not exactly the paragons of quality and reliability either, but they're pretty damn good at creating that myth.

rick81721

Lothar
I think the newer Vettes get a bit of a bad rap on the interiors, I don't see whats so horrible on the C7's, the interior is entirely appropriate on a $50-70k car. The interiors on the Porsches are nothing to write home about for an$80k + car, and what you get standard is deplorable. You have to spend another $5-6k to get what everyone else gets standard on a $30k VW. Having driven German cars for the last 20yrs, I can tell you that they're not exactly the paragons of quality and reliability either, but they're pretty damn good at creating that myth.

I don't really care much what the interior looks like, as long as it's comfortable and supportive to drive. The C8 cockpit looks odd but the exterior looks amazing (at least the pics!)

Captain Brainstorm

I don't really care much what the interior looks like, as long as it's comfortable and supportive to drive. The C8 cockpit looks odd but the exterior looks amazing (at least the pics!)

I drove a C7 Grand Sport with the competition seats and about 25k miles on the clock. I'm not a big dude, so the seats felt good, shifter was where it was supposed to be, gauges also looked good and modern.. Could some of the switch gear have been better? Sure, but it wasn't exactly offensive given the level of tech that the car came with. It also didn't squeak and rattle, which is a huge pet peeve of mine. Quite honestly, buying one of those certified is the smart play, but since cars are an emotional purchase, we never make the smart play, and the C7 suffers from a image issue. If you give no fucks about image, you'll get a car that out-performs 95% of whats out there.

Instead though, I've been looking at over-paying for a 4-cyl 718 or a 10yr old 911, neither of which can hang with a C7, but oh boy, the nods of approval and validation I'll get from the other car snobs. And FYI - I'd consider a GT350, but the oil-burning issue has me a little freaked since this will be a long-term purchase. Did they solve that yet?

Top Bottom