Car-spotting thread

Captain Brainstorm

View attachment 209723
there is a guy in walton ny who specializes in mini truck imports .. usually he has some mini vans on his lot and some other interesting things

i was considering getting one of the dump trucks

These are the VW vans of the new century.

This rules because of the sheer audacity of it.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Its kinda of dopey when you think about it.....they built it street legal to get this record as opposed to the drag pak version you can buy fully set up to race (but its not street legal since it has no exhaust, emissions equipment...has a roll cage, etc....or just build your own
mp020-007dg-1599148001.jpg

The new version you have to run it on e85 to make that much power...and you can't bring it to the track and run 8s without putting a proper cage in it first..(and in the 8sec range, the safety equipment is extensive).....So it has all the weight and stuff in it to make it a production car, but it cant have cage, so you cant run 8s with it...I get it...they wanted that 1/4 mile record for and ICE engine...Which they might have gotten but the production car record is now 8.55.

All that aside, props to Dodge for still doing dumb things like this.

rick81721

Lothar
Its kinda of dopey when you think about it.....they built it street legal to get this record as opposed to the drag pak version you can buy fully set up to race (but its not street legal since it has no exhaust, emissions equipment...has a roll cage, etc....or just build your own
mp020-007dg-1599148001.jpg

The new version you have to run it on e85 to make that much power...and you can't bring it to the track and run 8s without putting a proper cage in it first..(and in the 8sec range, the safety equipment is extensive).....So it has all the weight and stuff in it to make it a production car, but it cant have cage, so you cant run 8s with it...I get it...they wanted that 1/4 mile record for and ICE engine...Which they might have gotten but the production car record is now 8.55.

All that aside, props to Dodge for still doing dumb things like this.

Yep but it is interesting to see how far these companies will push the ICE before it disappears.

JerseyPete

Yep but it is interesting to see how far these companies will push the ICE before it disappears.
Do you really think ICE will no longer be produced at some point? I get the point of view from MFG's for the electric push, fewer parts means less labor, inventory, faster production, etc. But I think there will always be a Porsche, Ferrari, etc that will keep a legacy model that has ICE with a $$$ price tag on it. Probably not mass production, but exclusive demographic buyers, in 20 or so years.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you really think ICE will no longer be produced at some point? I get the point of view from MFG's for the electric push, fewer parts means less labor, inventory, faster production, etc. But I think there will always be a Porsche, Ferrari, etc that will keep a legacy model that has ICE with a $$$ price tag on it. Probably not mass production, but exclusive demographic buyers, in 20 or so years.

i think that the EPA is killing the high hp/high displacement engines, but i also think that internal combustion is going to be here for a good while yet(and there will always be aftermarket support for the desirable internal combustion equipped vehicles because there will always be a demographic that wants the soundtrack to go with the performance), battery electric technology just isnt there to the degree that it can replace it yet, but this is really not the thread for this discussion.

JerseyPete

i think that the EPA is killing the high hp/high displacement engines, but i also think that internal combustion is going to be here for a good while yet(and there will always be aftermarket support for the desirable internal combustion equipped vehicles because there will always be a demographic that wants the soundtrack to go with the performance), battery electric technology just isnt there to the degree that it can replace it yet, but this is really not the thread for this discussion.
Valid points.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

maybe they can run a high noise engine in their EV?

speaking of which, i'm going to go ride in my air cooled flat 4 on this nice day.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe in "from the factory" form....In the real world of ACTUAL drag racing....Electric cars are NOTHING....ICE cars are light years ahead,..The Telsa plaid wouldn't have even qualified for the slowest "street car" class at TX2K last weekend for example. Guys are running in the 5 second range now for drag and drives.....where its required that a car drive 1000 miles on the street as part of the race.

I still think there is plenty of demand for noise and tire smoke....I dont see the ICE performance car going anywhere for a while.

rick81721

Lothar

Not in our lifetimes, but I think this is the final hurrah for massive horsepower motors. The future will be smaller ones in hybrids.

rick81721

Lothar
Maybe in "from the factory" form....In the real world of ACTUAL drag racing....Electric cars are NOTHING....ICE cars are light years ahead,..The Telsa plaid wouldn't have even qualified for the slowest "street car" class at TX2K last weekend for example. Guys are running in the 5 second range now for drag and drives.....where its required that a car drive 1000 miles on the street as part of the race.

I still think there is plenty of demand for noise and tire smoke....I dont see the ICE performance car going anywhere for a while.

Yeah talking production, street legal cars. Mopar is first to break 1000 hp, Chevy has the ZR1 vette coming with a twin turbo flat-plane crank V8 putting out close to 900 hp. What will Ford do?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah talking production, street legal cars. Mopar is first to break 1000 hp, Chevy has the ZR1 vette coming with a twin turbo flat-plane crank V8 putting out close to 900 hp. What will Ford do?
maybe some new version of this?

2018-mustang-cobra-jet-101-1534439646.jpg

What seems crazy to me now is how much easier it is to get a fully CNC'd version engine block for so many different types of engines....

MMRs coyote for example....people are making 4-5000hp with these..someone went 5.60 @265mph....granted it cost $47,000 fully built.
351R_.jpg

This used to only be Top fuel drag racing, F1 car kinda stuff...But now I have seen versions for so many engines now...2jz, 4g63 mitsu, Nissan gtr, Lambo, big block/small block chevys/ford...hemis. LS' You can even get a fully cnc'd version of my ford big block. Not cheap, but I guess with Ethanol, turbos and modern computers.....The limitations of cast engine blocks is getting more common.

Top Bottom