Car-spotting thread

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is there an explanation/hypothesis/wild guess as to the cause of this comprehensive drivetrain destruction?

good question, also curious what the symptoms where, although its possible that i missed it (or forgot)

iman29

good question, also curious what the symptoms where, although its possible that i missed it (or forgot)
ChrisG said:
Is there an explanation/hypothesis/wild guess as to the cause of this comprehensive drivetrain destruction?

So the main symptoms that started all this was a random clunking sound when I would start driving (back in January-ish). it was totally random and there was nothing I could do to recreate it. Then one day it got worse for a minute and then stopped. the car was driving fine and it wasnt making any noises with no dash lights. Then a few days later it rained and I could feel the front tires breaking loose a lot when I would hit the gas which for this car with full time AWD this is very hard to accomplish. I went and spent ~1000 and replaced all the tires since they were overdue anyway and it wasnt until after I did that I realized the AWD wasnt engaging.

I have no idea if this caused all the other problems, or they fixed things that weren't really broken. The rear diff on this car exploded on me randomly back in 2018 and they fully replaced it back then too, but didnt change the AWD coupler (found that out last week). I can only theorize that perhaps not replacing both at the same time added some wear and tear? I can say that when they called me to replace the transmission after 3 weeks and had already done all the other work, they told me it was making a completely different noise (whining) on several test drives. I never had any issues like that with the car shifting/driving weird or making any noises like this since I owned it.

The next time I am browsing around the internet I was gonna look some of this up because I am also interested in the "why" but I'm figuring it won't really get any logical conclusion. I drove it to work this morning (ironically in some bad weather) and tested the AWD lock on/off and it drives 100% smooth.

Still counting my luck on the CPO coverage and not having to go buy a new car.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe I can get a ride in this one?

Got me thinking, maybe a new take on the group drives/meets would be to meet and then do a round robin type ride along for a few miles, then back to the start and swap rides. I realized that I never get to drive in anyone's cars but my own most times. (I did get a ride in Manny's Tesla and that was pretty nice!)

Not a bad thought. You first. And put some booties on or something...

iman29

Not a bad thought. You first. And put some booties on or something...

assumed you would require everyone to wear one of these in the new T:

71AnFxs0QfL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

ekuhn

In this week of commuting on the NJTP...

Other than the beautiful sunrise, this lady had her trunk tied down with rope. 2 seconds after merging onto NJTP it was blowin in the breeze.

IMG_9581.jpeg

Next was the Gold Convertible Mustang with the MONSTER wing. Pimpin' aint easy.IMG_9564.jpeg

IMG_9565.jpeg

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
well at least you are getting a manual, so I hate it a little less.....I mean, im pretty sure you are going to hate it too after a short time....then you can probably sell it...maybe make money off it...by a used GT3 and be happy again.
What's to hate? I loved stealing my dad's 69 Beetle and taking it for joy rides. This thing has got to be even more fun.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What's to hate? I loved stealing my dad's 69 Beetle and taking it for joy rides. This thing has got to be even more fun.
We passed a weird dealership in my town the other day that had a restored '64 beatle. My wife was interested and looked it up, I think they wanted 29k.

Is that what those things go for now? I just assumed you can buy a beatle-in-a-kit from JC Whitney for like 5k.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
We passed a weird dealership in my town the other day that had a restored '64 beatle. My wife was interested and looked it up, I think they wanted 29k.

Is that what those things go for now? I just assumed you can buy a beatle-in-a-kit from JC Whitney for like 5k.
If I was going to buy some restored car from the 60's, the beetle would not be my first choice.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I worked at a VW shop, had to drive VW beetles and buses all the time....Which is why I HATE them with a passion. God the amount of times I was stranded on the side of the road in the VW bus we used as our parts pick up vehicle. Slowest vehicles I have ever driven, worst sound, terrifying handling, complete garbage reliability....oh and added bonus...commissioned by one of the most despicable humans who has ever lived. I had more fun driving a forklift.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I worked at a VW shop, had to drive VW beetles and buses all the time....Which is why I HATE them with a passion. God the amount of times I was stranded on the side of the road in the VW bus we used as our parts pick up vehicle. Slowest vehicles I have ever driven, worst sound, terrifying handling, complete garbage reliability....oh and added bonus...commissioned by one of the most despicable humans who has ever lived. I had more fun driving a forklift.
While I think Beetles are silly vehicles and can be fun, the buses should just be on display only. I'll say every generation of buses including the later "modern" ones.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I've been wondering about the substantial quantity of venom you have for these vehicles. This helps explain it.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
While I think Beetles are silly vehicles and can be fun, the buses should just be on display only. I'll say every generation of buses including the later "modern" ones.
I have driven both....back to back on the same day.....I dont understand any distinction between the two...other than one: your face is the crumble zone....the other one, the person sitting next to you uses your leg as an arm rest. Other than that, they both drove exactly the same to me. Same shitty drivetrain and inability to move out of their own way lol

I've been wondering about the substantial quantity of venom you have for these vehicles. This helps explain it.
ya, really until you spend time every day working/driving a particular vehicle....its hard to develop such a hatred...See @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST 's opinion about Audi's :)

Anyone who has made the drive from Salt Lake City to Park city, thru/up Parleys canyon......now picture making that drive in a VW bus that can only go 60mph on flat ground at sea level with a tailwind. I remember the shop switched afer a while and I got to use the water cooled one....it was JUST as slow, and added bonus it would overheat AND boil over lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom