Cannondale Rush 800?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Avoid DC

I would avoid the 800 solely on the Dual Control Shifters from Shimano.

The 1000 is a better choice imho..

The 1000 has Tubeless tires and Sram shifters.

You might dig the DC shifters BUT if you don't you will need to BUY new Shifters,Brake levers and Brake Calipers.

The Rush is a super fun bike. I had a Prophet last season and it was just a little too much bike for most of NJ.

The rush is a simple, well designed bike.

Depending on the Size we might have some Leftovers that might suit you. We already have some 2007 rush models in the shop as well.

Call me later today at the shop if you want more info.

jason

Halters Cycles

732-329-9022

heythorp

The DC shifters is a completely personal preference, I personally really like them.

Also (no disrespect intended here)but to buy or not to buy a bike based on a component or 2 seems a little silly. The only way you are going to to be happy with every component on a bike is if you build your own bike and even then, unless money is no object, you probably wont be completely happy.

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Components..

To be fair I built my Rush up from a frame. I chose every part one at a time and now I have a bike that I really like. Dual Control seems out of place to me on the mt bike yet the STI shifters on my road bike seem great.

I am one of the few guys who runs gripshift so what do i know??

I am actually thinking of trying the Pauls/Dura ace Thumbshifters next. Most of my time has been on the singlespeed lately so it hasn't been much of an issue.

J_

heythorp

jdog said:
To be fair I built my Rush up from a frame. I chose every part one at a time and now I have a bike that I really like. Dual Control seems out of place to me on the mt bike yet the STI shifters on my road bike seem great.

J_

Yes but you work/own a bike shop. You have the luxury of doing this. Most people have a hard time justifying the costs of these things. I will spend up to about 3,000 on a Mt. Bike but even I try to keep it closer to 2g. I usually buy this time of year to save money. Usually you can get that 3,000 bike for 2200 or so. But even then, am I completely happy with all the components? Nope.

The important thing is to get the bike you want and you will be happy with. Both the prophet and rush are good bikes, as you said you feel the prophet is too much bike for nj, what if you road allumuchy every day?

My point is:
Its really important to get the right bike that fits you, is aesthetically appealing and will do the best job for the type of riding you do.
And then worry about components later.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
After I select a bike, I usually take the cheapest one available. I'll just end up swaping everything anyway. In my situation, I have components that I like a lot and they follow me from bike to bike. This is the third bike for my wheels and my hope brakes followed me through two bikes. I do agree that I'm not a fan of the all-in-one shifters but that's because when you want to upgrade you are forced to upgrade other components. Sorry, I have no experience with the Rush.

pjrohr

:eek: So that's a thumbs up (no pun intended around shifters) for the bike, just a warning on some of the componentry. Thanks for all the feedback and spirited discussion. I'm glad I found this forum, even if folks disagree, you get a lot of great input from several different perspectives, and that helps. Thanks again.

ytc100

heythorp said:
<snip> am I completely happy with all the components? Nope. <snip>

You keep forgetting that you're not happy with anything. :D

Seriously though, wouldn't most bike shops be willing to trade out dc levers for something good to make the sale?

Shaggz

A strong 7
hwre do you live? you may want to contact brendan @ cycleworks. He is a great guy, and will take the time to make sure that your bike is fit properly. the rush is a nice bike, geometry didn't work for me. i love my giant, but i really wish i could put a lefty on it.

ytc100

smarencik said:
hwre do you live? you may want to contact brendan @ cycleworks. He is a great guy, and will take the time to make sure that your bike is fit properly. the rush is a nice bike, geometry didn't work for me. i love my giant, but i really wish i could put a lefty on it.

Don't you mean cyclecraft? I have to ride one of these leftys. Can't imagine it is such a superior fork to the offerings from Fox and RockShox.

heythorp

ytc100 said:
You keep forgetting that you're not happy with anything. :D

True very True

ytc100 said:
Seriously though, wouldn't most bike shops be willing to trade out dc levers for something good to make the sale?

(not intended to flame just want to know why you are saying above statement)
Why say "something good" thats not fair, you have never even ridden them in the woods(as far as I know, I think the only time you used them was on my epic up and down the street for like 2 minutes) What are you basing this on?

Selling components is not what it used to be in the early 90's. Switching out some stuff is not a big deal if you know you can resell it. but some items bike shops don't really want to get involved with because the cost to carry inventory, say for instance forks, just isn't worth it to them around here. I know where you can get a cheap reba if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

heythorp

ytc100 said:
Hee hee, just pushing your buttons. :D Sorry.

What's the deal with the reba?

:D :D :D be carefull with that right now, usually i let everything go pretty easy but I am wound as tight as you can get right now, no biking and lots and lots of stress = not so happy heythorp

Well lets just say there is a brand new 06 reba sitting in a shop that has been confirmed to me that it was a mistake to bring in inventory of such an item. Nothing was said against the reba just that it doesnt make sense to stock this stuff. Too expensive and people looking to replace such an item are usually internet shoppers and stores cant compete with those prices

ytc100

heythorp said:
:D :D :D be carefull with that right now, usually i let everything go pretty easy but I am wound as tight as you can get right now, no biking and lots and lots of stress = not so happy heythorp

Yeah I shoulda known better.

RyGanley

I am getting a Rush 400

Getting back to the original point on the Rush or Prophit, I ran into the same dilema. Rush is faster more tuned in for XC while to prophit will alow you to hang on the bigger stuff drops and freeriding but will not climb like a good xc.. But before I tell you my decion, I have to tell you why.. I cracked my Jekal frame and instead of getting a new frame Cannondale offered me the Rush for cost.. I really wanted the Prophit to hang on drops and side tricks, but the dealer told me if I take the lower end profit (same price as the lower end rush) they will charge me an extra $800.. So I re read my reviews and choose the Rush. I weigh about 200lb and ride very hard, I figure that since I still have the components of my jekal I can slip them on the rush as they wear out. I can't do that with The Prophit.. But if I was in your place I would ask myslef this "Do I avoid the big drops, the fast downhills and log roller" if your answer is "yes" take the rush, at least you can still hit that shit and go fast. But At least get the 1000!

Top Bottom