Cancer - The Big C

Damn and wow. Thank you for sharing your experiences and toughness everyone. Keep on fighting!
@Bikeworks @Mr. E Man @ebineezer @Bike N Gear

Cancer sucks all around but stories here and people we’ve met on this journey makes us feel lucky. Harrison was getting bruises all over his body. I just brushed it off. Mother took the initiative to get him checked at ped and the next morning we were told to go to the ER to confirm the blood work and stayed for 3 weeks. Other pediatric-leukemia patients were ill when they were admitted and stayed several months and several return stays and even divorces. Yikes!

Thanks again for your good wishes!

@The Kalmyk I would trade but I’d probably be a whining bitch going through it. I’m reg for 11:45!
Since my last post from April, my Mom passed on May 27th and my daughter was born 2 weeks later. It's been a roller coaster of emotions ever since. Still sending you good vibes to your family.

@Mr. E Man I’m very sorry for your loss and congratulations to your family. May your mother Rest In Peace and bless your new child! I can’t imagine the emotions your family has experienced either. Thank you and all the best to you 🙂

Hey all! Hope everyone is holding up and kicking ass! Find more time for smiles and miles!

It’s been mooooonths since my last ride. It’s been hell balancing everything and cancer. Probably the hardest couple months we’ve been through. We are worn, beaten down, mentally and emotionally exhausted. It’s treatment week and a mtb ride this afternoon is what I needed after holding Harrison in my arms this morning sobbing after I cleaned up the diarrhea and this after I cleaned up last nights too! Fucking chemo! but a lot of smiling on the ride!

He’s gotten very attached to me since Sept since Mrs has gone back to work. I’ve taken over majority of the appointments because of my flexible schedule (aka remote ish office job). He was pretty pissed (steroids) that I left to ride with @clarkenstein. He hunted me down at Blackwell Mills and we rode home together 🤣 like this shit is so ridiculous I just have to cry or laugh about it

C62CD359-BE57-49BC-B722-BC4D1D6B0A31.jpeg
264BB980-2FEC-4CDF-A879-6C3375ED1CB6.jpeg
B5659F5C-339B-49FF-AC9B-8C4850E0BF82.jpeg

Fuck yeah, dude. I’ve been silently following this thread all along. I love your attitude and vulnerability about the whole thing (I’m sure what you post versus reality is skewed a bit). Awesome that you got a ride in. Keep that positive energy man.

I’m late to this thread but thank you all for sharing and keeping the support up for our fellow brothers and sisters in dirt. I lost my dad to prostate cancer in 2010. By sheer luck I had a business trip to Asia (where my parents lived) planned when his close friend called me and said to get there asap. He was in and out of consciousness (more out than in) when I got there after 20 hours of flying. I got to his room, he mumbled something to the effect of “I’m so glad you’re here” and passed away a few hours later. As others have said, early detection is critical. I visit the urologist 2x year and the derm 2x year. I’ve had four squamous and one basal in 18 months (fair skin, growing up in the tropics, in the sun everyday at a young age…not a good recipe). Stay strong everyone. Hug often.

Keep up the fight !!! Check into holistic medicine, my wife has helped me with that. She has stopped hair loss, the diarrhea, and vomiting I should have suffered during my chemo. Granted that’s just some of the side effects, but it helps. DM if you want more info, I can certainly share. But mostly want to send more positive vibes your way.

Happy and healthy new year to you and your loved ones! It’s been a while and we went through some rough times to finish 2022. The boy caught RSV in Nov and the Flu in Dec so a couple hospital stays. Then I’m pretty sure he passed the Flu to me the week of Christmas.

What a HELL of a 2022. We are near one year of treatment and 2023 is starting out better. A month ago he had spinal tap #13 and finished one major chemo drug so our clinic visits are less and his mood is better. Last year, he would cry 99% of the time when we left him at daycare. But starting out this year he’s been a happy boy. Maybe he’s older and wiser or maybe he stopped feeling shitty. Probably all of the above.

Another happy story. So to date myself, this year is my 20th HS Reunion that is going to be a banger with a venue and all. Some anonymous donors pledged to match every dollar spent in Dec on seats/tickets to our family. We received a little more than $1,000! This is the msg a posted in the private group. -
“To the anonymous donors and December ticket purchasers and anyone praying for Harrison, sincerest and deepest gratitude to you. You are a Roarior 🦖 Blessings and good health to you all in this new year.

We received a healthy donation from the Class of 2003 that will help us more than just financially. Cancer will knock your family down and chew you up. It means the world to us to receive this act of kindness to help us stay positive and ‘Make Leukemia Extinct’! Medical expenses can be worked out but Harrison’s happiness is the most important to encourage his treatment and reward him for his fearlessness. Honestly, we pretty much give him anything he wants or craves. The countless McD, Target/Walmart, and ShopRite trips to feed his nuggets, croissants, and cereal cravings and to add to his to Jurassic World dinosaur collection are just some simple things that make his day brighter. He also loves arcades and rides. YOU ARE HELPING OUR LITTLE HERO BE HAPPY AND POSITIVE. Thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of our hearts 🧡 We are praying for other survivors as well and please message us if you know anyone that we can support through their fight! 🙏🏼”

Sorry I feel like I’m just spewing whatever but so much can happen in a couple of months plus the Holidays. Jeeez so glad that is over. I totally lost it one day. Like I went bonkers! I can’t deal with trying to host Christmas Eve dinner and help get cancer to fuck off. Mrs was frustrated at me for not cleaning up a room so between being sick, and taking care of him when TF was I going to clean up a room. So I lost it and just threw everything in that room that needed to be cleaned up outside and most notably a dollhouse on the front lawn. I banged and slammed every door and wall I could for like 20 minutes and some scars to prove it. It was some epic shit. Haha. We laugh at it now but that tantrum was needed. Fuuuuck cancer and thank you for people asking and praying for us. Big kudos to the cape less heros, docs and nurses. Well, it’s another new cycle tomorrow. Prayers please 🙏🏼

Attachments

• B8DBCB5D-824E-407E-B1B4-207F5CCFF7A5.jpeg
    B8DBCB5D-824E-407E-B1B4-207F5CCFF7A5.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 20
  • BDE94158-0AA3-4317-820B-5F0D1C5688F2.jpeg
    BDE94158-0AA3-4317-820B-5F0D1C5688F2.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 20
  • D5B85840-C6F4-446B-9EC4-32EA7D8BAC01.jpeg
    D5B85840-C6F4-446B-9EC4-32EA7D8BAC01.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 55876640-6F13-44C5-A24E-E0EAAB854745.jpeg
    55876640-6F13-44C5-A24E-E0EAAB854745.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 21
  • F67C7038-7DB2-4E0C-B481-88A0D7748550.jpeg
    F67C7038-7DB2-4E0C-B481-88A0D7748550.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 45F82355-0F83-458B-9AA3-FB15510DE776.jpeg
    45F82355-0F83-458B-9AA3-FB15510DE776.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 90A650A1-98BB-4D3D-AFB7-358EDB703C21.jpeg
    90A650A1-98BB-4D3D-AFB7-358EDB703C21.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 1D3A48E9-E5C7-47E8-B640-4B18205ED8E8.jpeg
    1D3A48E9-E5C7-47E8-B640-4B18205ED8E8.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 57B28889-4772-4FD4-BB27-64E0FC4A27CD.jpeg
    57B28889-4772-4FD4-BB27-64E0FC4A27CD.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 3163F2A2-B948-4619-B3E6-F0B0B5FE6A07.jpeg
    3163F2A2-B948-4619-B3E6-F0B0B5FE6A07.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Happy and healthy new year to you and your loved ones! It’s been a while and we went through some rough times to finish 2022. The boy caught RSV in Nov and the Flu in Dec so a couple hospital stays. Then I’m pretty sure he passed the Flu to me the week of Christmas.

What a HELL of a 2022. We are near one year of treatment and 2023 is starting out better. A month ago he had spinal tap #13 and finished one major chemo drug so our clinic visits are less and his mood is better. Last year, he would cry 99% of the time when we left him at daycare. But starting out this year he’s been a happy boy. Maybe he’s older and wiser or maybe he stopped feeling shitty. Probably all of the above.

Another happy story. So to date myself, this year is my 20th HS Reunion that is going to be a banger with a venue and all. Some anonymous donors pledged to match every dollar spent in Dec on seats/tickets to our family. We received a little more than $1,000! This is the msg a posted in the private group. -
“To the anonymous donors and December ticket purchasers and anyone praying for Harrison, sincerest and deepest gratitude to you. You are a Roarior 🦖 Blessings and good health to you all in this new year.

We received a healthy donation from the Class of 2003 that will help us more than just financially. Cancer will knock your family down and chew you up. It means the world to us to receive this act of kindness to help us stay positive and ‘Make Leukemia Extinct’! Medical expenses can be worked out but Harrison’s happiness is the most important to encourage his treatment and reward him for his fearlessness. Honestly, we pretty much give him anything he wants or craves. The countless McD, Target/Walmart, and ShopRite trips to feed his nuggets, croissants, and cereal cravings and to add to his to Jurassic World dinosaur collection are just some simple things that make his day brighter. He also loves arcades and rides. YOU ARE HELPING OUR LITTLE HERO BE HAPPY AND POSITIVE. Thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of our hearts 🧡 We are praying for other survivors as well and please message us if you know anyone that we can support through their fight! 🙏🏼”

Sorry I feel like I’m just spewing whatever but so much can happen in a couple of months plus the Holidays. Jeeez so glad that is over. I totally lost it one day. Like I went bonkers! I can’t deal with trying to host Christmas Eve dinner and help get cancer to fuck off. Mrs was frustrated at me for not cleaning up a room so between being sick, and taking care of him when TF was I going to clean up a room. So I lost it and just threw everything in that room that needed to be cleaned up outside and most notably a dollhouse on the front lawn. I banged and slammed every door and wall I could for like 20 minutes and some scars to prove it. It was some epic shit. Haha. We laugh at it now but that tantrum was needed. Fuuuuck cancer and thank you for people asking and praying for us. Big kudos to the cape less heros, docs and nurses. Well, it’s another new cycle tomorrow. Prayers please 🙏🏼
I've been away from the forum for a long time and just now followed along your thread. I'm a 3x blood cancer survivor, been through 4 chemo protocols, a clinical trial that failed, an allo bone marrow transplant (my sister was my donor), etc, etc. When I was in the hospital during those years, I'd see the kids with their chemo pumps and IVs and it stuck in my head. It is 16 years later and every time I see a St. Jude commercial, I get emotional and tear up.

Your son is a warrior and your love and support is inspiring. Stay strong and know that you are not alone.

I lost my Mom to multiple myeloma almost 20 years ago. You and your wife are Rock stars. The two of you are your son's Super hero's. and your boy is very tough and brave. My kids are older and we have tons of stuff in the attic. Let me know if you need anything. Toys ,clothes whatever. and I will see if we have any dinosaurs.

Gotta let it out Manny! Nothing wrong with that.

Pics are really moving.
Looking at the difference over the year, Harrison has made the transition from toddler to young boy.

Does he have a favorite show/movie?

@1speeder WOW and you kill it on a bike now. Thank you for sharing and your kind words and sympathy. Thank you guys @Ejd @Patrick
Let's speak honestly... if you have children there is probably no one else you love more. This journey is a gut wrenching emotional roller coaster.

Just 'youtube kids'
We actually took away the iPad. It's been one week and he is not losing it. It was making him too much a couch potato. Would like to reintroduce games but not sure when.

Two years ago today we lost my dear buddy and neighbor to the f*cking Big C. A dirt bike and MTB riding buddy, farmer and rescue cat angel, the world has been dimmer ever since he passed. There's nothing I hate more than this disease.
bultaco-copy-1.jpg

Today is Harrisons’s Anniversary! 🥂 we’ve done some fun things the past few days. Toy shopping, dinner, aquarium, more dinosaurs
Just catching up here Manny and glad to hear your little man is doing well! It seems like you're holding up well too. I couldn't imagine coming through the process without losing it multiple times too. Everyone has their breaking point, only so much you can carry after giving it all to your family.

Thanks for sharing this story. It's a reminder to always count your blessings, and that you never know what the person next to you is facing on any given day. Sending positive vibes that Harrison and the rest of your family stays strong!

what’s up friends. I hope everyone and survivors are doing well! Share your feelings here if you would like 👍🏼

Maintenance is like 3 weeks of medication a month, oral and IV. Needless to say every couple of weeks life is pretty overwhelming based on how Harrison does and how we hold up as a family. Definitely some bad and sad days. BUT Summer has been really fun (beach, sun, amusement rides, zoos, cousins, lots of new dinosaurs) and there was a lot of anxiety getting back to the grind. First day of Pre K today and it was a success and fortunate that he is tapering off on some drugs. A couple weeks ago we gave pedaling a try and not quite there yet. Maybe in the winter or spring. We went to field station dinosaurs in Leonia last week. He thought he was walking into Jurassic Park. He fucking loved it. Stay strong and healthy!

Edit - when we left the Dino park a staff member stopped us. She noticed our Make Leukemia Extinct shirts and asked if someone here has Leukemia. I told her about Harrison. She then said she has been in remission for7 years and she gifted Harrison a stuffed Stegasaurus. I don’t know how I kept it together but I gave her a hug and said thank you.
49B19CA8-28F7-4C6D-B1E8-CFB4FF9BFF69.jpeg816CFA0A-A2E3-48E2-B629-22CC51D47853.jpeg72A32AA9-01B2-4D9B-99E5-016BE2A16478.jpeg

Last edited:
what’s up friends. I hope everyone and survivors are doing well! Share your feelings here if you would like 👍🏼

Maintenance is like 3 weeks of medication a month, oral and IV. Needless to say every couple of weeks life is pretty overwhelming based on how Harrison does and how we hold up as a family. Definitely some bad and sad days. BUT Summer has been really fun (beach, sun, amusement rides, zoos, cousins, lots of new dinosaurs) and there was a lot of anxiety getting back to the grind. First day of Pre K today and it was a success and fortunate that he is tapering off on some drugs. A couple weeks ago we gave pedaling a try and not quite there yet. Maybe in the winter or spring. We went to field station dinosaurs in Leonia last week. He thought he was walking into Jurassic Park. He fucking loved it. Stay strong and healthy!

Edit - when we left the Dino park a staff member stopped us. She noticed our Make Leukemia Extinct shirts and asked if someone here has Leukemia. I told her about Harrison. She then said she has been in remission for7 years and she gifted Harrison a stuffed Stegasaurus. I don’t know how I kept it together but I gave her a hug and said thank you.
View attachment 222453View attachment 222454View attachment 222455
Wow that staff member needs a major raise.

Great to see him and all of you still fighting strong!

Many prayer and hopes of continuing progress for Harrison! Sending lots of positive vibes to you and the Mrs as I know you are suffering right along with him.

I too am touched by the staff members simple, yet powerful show of support. I have discovered that there are sooo many big hearts out there, it gives me hope for the future.

After 6 hrs under the bag today, I loved the post Manny! As always f cancer.
IMG_1833.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom